• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Workaround for machines that experience long delays
A few users have contacted me due to a problem where MobileSheets wouldn't respond to touch events for several seconds in certain situations. One user figured out a workaround - raising the application priority for MobileSheets. I'm not sure why this would have such a large impact on those devices, but it usually means there are services and applications fighting for resources. That user created the following script to launch MobileSheets with an elevated priority:

Code:
REM   ==== MobileSheets Execution Priority Level promotion =====

REM  the following loads MS then sleeps and then raises the execution priority to a higher level.

start MobileSheets.lnk

REM  neither SLEEP or TIMEOUT are work as specified for some reason but do not impact script functionality

REM sleep 5

REM timeout /T 5

wmic process where name="MobileSheets.exe" CALL setpriority "high priority"   

REM    "high priority"   works well on the DELL

REM     wmic process where name="MobileSheets.exe" CALL setpriority "Realtime"   ( does not work)

REM ==== end script =====

I just wanted to share this for any user that it might help.

Mike
If you don't know how to create a *.lnk file (Windows shell shortcut) to a UWP app, see this guide: https://winaero.com/blog/desktop-shortcu...indows-10/

Trying it now...
FYI, it did not fix the long delays on my machine.  (they might be shorter now -- hard to say for certain)
I'm really sorry to hear that. I still haven't heard from any other person who has experienced those kinds of long delays, so I'm not sure if it's an isolated issue or not. Have you tested the app on any other device you own?  

Mike
Just a thought

Is there an antivirus checker running in the background? These tend to cripple windows systems for a few minutes after the system is booted

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Only whatever anti-malware comes with stock Windows 10.

I took a video with Task Manager running side-by-side so you can see that nothing else is eating system resources: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fBZwszVkrKK2wor58

Examining the video also let me quantify the freeze for the first time: turns out it's 40 seconds, not 20 as I'd previously estimated.  (It may unfreeze faster if I'm not moving the mouse / tapping the screen.)

I've sent time travel captures to Mike so hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it when he gets some free time.
I'm also seeing delays/freezes on my Surface Pro 4 (i5, 4MB ram) with MobileSheets. MobileSheets is the only app where I see these delays/freezes. This has been happening for the past 6 months or so if my memory is correct.
To be clear: for example, when selecting a song to display, or trying to change pages, many times (not always!) there's a 5 second +/- display freeze before MS responds. During this time MS is unresponsive to touch commands....except if I kill the program (by clicking the "x" in upper right of MS window).
I usually run MS with no other apps running on the machine, thinking maybe it is fighting for resources. Not sure if this matters. It will freeze with and without other apps running.
I have not tried the suggested script to elevate the MS priority. I don't feel comfortable messing with this.
I am using the builtin Windows Security, nothing else for malware, etc. No backups are happening at these times.

I don't have another Win10 laptop/tablet to try to duplicate the problem.
Hard drive memory is ~50% used. Lots of room left.
MS only uses ~58MB of ram typically (out of 4MB).
Power usage is "very low" (from task manager)
Any thoughts on what to try/check?

If I were using MS in a gig situation, this issue would be a real problem for me. It's just frustrating at this point....

thanks!
Surface 4
TuneLab
When this happens the next time, I'll watch what's happening in the task manager to see if something shows up.
Surface 4
TuneLab
Just to verify, are you running version 2.6.7 of MobileSheets? Also, which update of Windows 10 are you on?

Thanks,
Mike
(06-15-2019, 05:27 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Just to verify, are you running version 2.6.7 of MobileSheets? Also, which update of Windows 10 are you on?

Thanks,
Mike

Glad you asked. I have MS 2.6.3, Windows update 1809 KB4503327.

There are times when I open MS and a "list of changes" for a new MS update will show on the screen.

I presume that I never have to manually update MS, and when I open it up it will automatically grab the latest MS updates, if any are available. Should I expect this to happen? If not, how will I know an update is available?

For some reason I never got the automatic updates after 2.6.3.

So I now manually updated to 2.6.7 (went to the Microsoft Store, and saw that an update was available). Should this freeze problem to be fixed with this update?

thanks again,
Rod
Surface 4
TuneLab

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon