• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MIDI Playback on Windows
Hi forum,

a long while ago (in August 2017) I had asked for MIDI playback on Windows and learned that it is on the TODO list but involves somewhat subtle complexity. I just scanned the feature request section of this forum and found a thread that said simple MIDI playback is available, at least on Android.

If it is it also available on Windows and I'd like to be pointed to it. At least MIDI files are not automagically imported together with my PDFs.

If it is not available on Windows I'd really like to see this added. Using Windows buildin Wavetable synthesizer would suffice, just like simple playback of audio files.

In the feature request section I've also read that demand for MIDI playback is low. Here I'd like to pipe in that having been silent and waiting patiently by no means constitutes lack of interest or urgency of that feature.

Kind regards,
Michael
Can I second this idea? It is quite a pain to have to convert midi files to mp3s to use with the Windows version.

Of course, there may be significant programming issues, but I would welcome such a function....

Cheers
John on Sunny Carnarvon, Western Australia
It's definitely on my list of things to do. I need to write a MIDI file reader that parses out the MIDI messages, waits the appropriate time between each message and sends them to the built-in MIDI synthesizer in Windows. I'm hoping that approach works, but the annoying part will be adding the status necessary for the audio player, as well controls for thing like setting the playback position. If any of you ambitious programmers out there want to try to write something like this for C# UWP, that would accelerate the timeline for adding this capability.

Mike
(05-21-2019, 02:42 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: It's definitely on my list of things to do. I need to write a MIDI file reader that parses out the MIDI messages, waits the appropriate time between each message and sends them to the built-in MIDI synthesizer in Windows. I'm hoping that approach works, but the annoying part will be adding the status necessary for the audio player, as well controls for thing like setting the playback position. If any of you ambitious programmers out there want to try to write something like this for C# UWP, that would accelerate the timeline for adding this capability.

Mike

It is now a good 3 years further down the road. AFAIA with no advances. Any idea when this is going to happen?

Kind regards,
Michael