• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crashes
Hi
I've been using MobileSheets all day... then iTunes updated and I had to re-boot.
Came back in and every time I start MS it comes up with a white screen and crashes
Ed
Functionality was added in the last update that crashes on Windows 10 versions below 17763 (AKA version 1809, the October 2018 update). If you need an immediate fix, go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software.../windows10 and click "Update Now". That will help you get the latest Windows 10 version and then MobileSheets should no longer crash. If you've followed that link and downloaded all updates, you can then check the version you currently have by going to "About your PC" in Windows 10. If it shows a number such as 1803 or lower, then you don't have the latest updates. It may not be possible to get 1809 or 1903 on your device in that case.

I have already submitted a fix to Microsoft, but it may take them a day or two to approve it. I have also already updated the version of MobileSheets I sell through my FastSpring store, as that can be updated immediately without needing approval. If you would like to switch to that version, let me know. I really apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Mike
Hi Mike
Is there anyway I can recover the Files with Notations on them???
Since I re-installed a clean version of MS
Thanks
Ed
Did you ever back up your library by going to Settings - >Backup and Restore->Backup Library? If so, you can restore your library in a few steps. If not, did you happen to back up mobilesheets.db under the default storage location listed under Settings - >Storage->Set MobileSheets Storage Location? If you did not backup anything from your library and uninstalled then unfortunately everything in your library is gone. I really apologize about this. Microsoft says it's up to developers to test every windows 10 version they support, so they won't help identify incompatibilities in the code but then they force updates to be installed in Windows 10 so you can't easily test all versions.
Going to be a long day tomorrow re-creating all my notations
Thanks
Ed
This is terrifying.  I could have been playing a show tonight.  I appreciate Mike for what he's doing to mitigate the issue.

Options I'm considering include printing my music, turning off auto-update, and running from within a highly controlled virtual machine that has no updates enabled.
I think turning off automatic updates is a good idea in general. It will prevent surprises and ensures they you can update only when it's convenient. I'm definitely going to be extremely careful about researching all the version information on Microsofts api functions and testing on older versions when possible going forward. Microsofts approval process is really problematic... 

Mike
That's what I do on Android. I have deactivated automatic updates. I install new MSP versions only when there's no important upcoming gig and I backup the previous MSP (the APK file) before updating manually.
How can I do that on Win10: deactivate automatic updates and backup the previous MSP version?
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I was working fine until 1300 GMT June 3 and have since done a hard windows reboot and reinstalled MS from Microsoft Store.  I run Windows 10 Home on this machine it shows 1803 as the up to date version.  Will I have to upgrade to Win 10 pro to continue using MS?  On first opening MS after reinstalling it allowed me to download from Dropbox but has since frozen on opening, indeed it froze the whole computer.
(06-04-2019, 10:49 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Functionality was added in the last update that crashes on Windows 10 versions below 17763 (AKA version 1809, the October 2018 update). If you need an immediate fix, go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software.../windows10 and click "Update Now". That will help you get the latest Windows 10 version and then MobileSheets should no longer crash. If you've followed that link and downloaded all updates, you can then check the version you currently have by going to "About your PC" in Windows 10. If it shows a number such as 1803 or lower, then you don't have the latest updates. It may not be possible to get 1809 or 1903 on your device in that case.

I have already submitted a fix to Microsoft, but it may take them a day or two to approve it. I have also already updated the version of MobileSheets I sell through my FastSpring store, as that can be updated immediately without needing approval. If you would like to switch to that version, let me know. I really apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Mike

Works fine with W10 update on my PC,
Thx for the solution !
(06-04-2019, 10:49 AM)Hello Mike,i got in a dead end, Windows 10 update to 1903 does not work on my Surface Pro 10 and ends with an error - so Mobile Sheets keeps crashing - anyway to resolve that problem?Thx, DomZubersoft Wrote: Functionality was added in the last update that crashes on Windows 10 versions below 17763 (AKA version 1809, the October 2018 update). If you need an immediate fix, go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software.../windows10 and click "Update Now". That will help you get the latest Windows 10 version and then MobileSheets should no longer crash. If you've followed that link and downloaded all updates, you can then check the version you currently have by going to "About your PC" in Windows 10. If it shows a number such as 1803 or lower, then you don't have the latest updates. It may not be possible to get 1809 or 1903 on your device in that case.

Mike
Mike, thanks for the work you're doing.

I just want to add my voice here - app was crashing on open yesterday, I updated my OS as instructed in this post.  App now crashes loading from Dropbox, but will display library normally.

Rehearsal was embarrassing yesterday, and I'll definitely have a little more stress onstage this week.  In 7 years, I've never had to worry about the stability of this app under either Android or Windows.  I'm not sure what you can do to mitigate this given Microsoft's personality, but it's a sobering reminder that a lot of people use this app in situations where even a single critical failure is enough for us to consider all our options.
Version 2.6.5 is available now through the Microsoft Store. If you go to the store and search for MobileSheets, you should see an option to update. This should resolve the crashing problem.

Skip - No one was more surprised by all of this than me. When I write complex code involving new capabilities, I'm really careful about what I'm accessing. In this case, I had changed one line of code to improve performance not realizing the impact it would have on earlier versions of Windows 10. I've discussed having beta testers in the past, so it may be something I really need to do in the future. It's just hard to coordinate with testers and it would certainly slow down every release cycle.

Mike
Is there any mileage in the installation process automatically making a backup of the existing database (I'm talking about the database without the underlying song files - I'm assuming they are less likely to be damaged)

Note: this is an emergency backup for installation purposes only - the user should still be making their own, full, backups

If this was possible, you could save an "emergency" backup to a name which includes the MS version i.e. you only create it if the file doesn't already exist. The logic should only keep the last 3 emergency backups i.e. files for older versions would be automatically purged. As a safety measure, it should probably avoid purge any files created within the last month (say)

You would obviously need to provide a mechanism to allow the user to recover from and/or or access an emergency backup.

Geoff

PS: I've turned automatic updating off several months ago and only update when it is convenient (and after using the companion to make a backup)
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(06-05-2019, 12:46 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Version 2.6.5 is available now through the Microsoft Store. If you go to the store and search for MobileSheets, you should see an option to update. This should resolve the crashing problem.

Skip - No one was more surprised by all of this than me. When I write complex code involving new capabilities, I'm really careful about what I'm accessing. In this case, I had changed one line of code to improve performance not realizing the impact it would have on earlier versions of Windows 10. I've discussed having beta testers in the past, so it may be something I really need to do in the future. It's just hard to coordinate with testers and it would certainly slow down every release cycle.

Mike

I'm on Dutch Windows 10 1803. According to Windows it's the newest version. In the Microsoft store I don't see the update option. Maybe because it's the Dutch version of the store? Please help. I need the app in an hour.

Rein