• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I restore just one song from a back up?
Hello, 

I just had a little disaster in trying to reorder the pages of a piano piece by Ravel so that I only have to go forward not backwards for a repeated section, and 13 of the 15 pages disappeared. When I retyped 1-15 in the page order, the pages were restored, but minus months of highly detailed performance, fingering, and shaping annotations. 

I created a backup on Tuesday. Is it possible to just restore this one piece from the backup? 

It's not disastrous if I have to restore the whole database, as I haven't worked on many other pieces since the Tuesday backup, but I realise the price for regaining my months of work on the Ravel will be the loss of two days work on some other pieces. Is there a way around this, so that I can retrieve the Ravel and keep the most recent files for everything else?

I do have Mobile Sheets Pro on an Android tablet. The Ravel is not on that tablet, as I haven't used it since I bought the Surface Pro in January. Can syncing the two devices help me here? (I have not explored syncing at all - I tried back in January and got confused so didn't pursue it)

Thanks
Bee
Microsoft W10 Surface Pro 7 
I don't think a selective backup is supported (yet?).

But you could make a backup of your current database.

Restore the old one with the song you need, export this individual song with the export function, restore the new backup and import the song in question.

Shouldn't be too much trouble.
or make a MSP backup of the tablet you are no longer using and then restore your latest backup to the same tablet.
Export the required song and re-import into your normal tablet.

The Companion also offers a "File| View/Extract Backup" mechanism but it doesn't appear to export it with annotations so that is no use to you.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
If you have one device with Ravel, or you don't mind restoring the backup file on one of the devices, you can then use the library synchronization feature to add that one song. Go to Sync Library->Sync to another device, set it up so you are updating only one device, change the merge behavior to "Prompt user for decision" and then you will need to skip/ignore every single change until Ravel comes up. It will be a little tedious, but it should get the job done. 

Mike
With msb_unpack (part of the MobileSheetsPro tools) you can easily turn a backup into a zip file, and then extract selected files.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(06-14-2019, 05:32 PM)sciurius Wrote: With msb_unpack (part of the MobileSheetsPro tools) you can easily turn a backup into a zip file, and then extract selected files.

But only the source file/pdf itself, no annotations, page order, cropping etc., right?
Thank you so much for your help everyone. I have successfully retrieved my Ravel annotations from the Tuesday backup, by restoring Tuesday's backup onto my tablet, then exporting the Ravel as a .msf file and importing it back into my Surface. So I now have only three days' work to retrieve instead of three months. Very grateful for your support! I also learnt a lot more about exporting/importing files in the process :-)

Cheers
Bee
Microsoft W10 Surface Pro 7 
(06-14-2019, 09:55 PM)BRX Wrote: But only the source file/pdf itself, no annotations, page order, cropping etc., right?

Yes... Annotations, page order, cropping etc. are not part of the song file, but stored in the database.
I once had a tool that extracted the annotations data from the database and applied these to the song pdf/jpg but that was long before the great rework and improvements that Mike did some time ago so it no longer works.

I assume (just haven't tried it yet) that printing a song will include all this.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).