• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syncing libraries with multiple devices
I have a desktop PC that I do most of my editing of songs on, a Surface tablet, and another PC that I use mainly for practice. The "master" copy of MS is on the desktop. When I get a new version, I start a sync with it as the server. Then I will sync the Surface with it. When it is finished, though, in order to sync with my other PC, I have to exit the server on the PC and start it again. If I hit continue and try to sync with it on my other PC, it doesn't work.

There's another problem/inconvenience. If MobileSheets is not in the foreground on both machines, the sync pauses until they are. It would be much nicer if the sync could run in the background. I have thousands of songs, and it takes a few minutes to sync.

The sync works great otherwise.
I'll look into those issues - thanks for letting me know about them. I hope the issue with the sync stopping in the background is something I have control over. I didn't think there was any code in there to pause the sync, so Windows 10 may be suspending MobileSheets itself while it is in the background.

Mike
Yes, I realized when I wrote the request that it might be Windows 10 suspending what you're doing. BTW, I'm running Window 10 pro, and it's Version 1809 build 17763.57.

Thanks. Love MobileSheets. It works great.
I've been testing and when I click "Continue" after a sync finishes, I'm still able to connect to other devices after, regardless of whether the device is the server or client. I'm not sure how to reproduce what you are seeing.

As far as the problem with suspending, are you running in tablet mode or desktop mode? If you switch to desktop mode and just leave MobileSheets running in Windowed mode in the background (instead of being minimized), then it should work normally. I couldn't really reproduce problems with it being suspended though. One time Windows 10 decided to close the app to recover resources, but other than that, it has been working normally and continuing with the sync even while in the background. You probably need to go to Settings->Battery settings->"See which apps are affecting your battery life"->MobileSheets->Uncheck "Let Windows decide when this app can run in the background" and "Reduce the work the app can do when it's in the background", and then check "Allow the app to run background tasks".

Mike
(07-02-2019, 02:50 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I've been testing and when I click "Continue" after a sync finishes, I'm still able to connect to other devices after, regardless of whether the device is the server or client. I'm not sure how to reproduce what you are seeing.

As far as the problem with suspending, are you running in tablet mode or desktop mode? If you switch to desktop mode and just leave MobileSheets running in Windowed mode in the background (instead of being minimized), then it should work normally. I couldn't really reproduce problems with it being suspended though. One time Windows 10 decided to close the app to recover resources, but other than that, it has been working normally and continuing with the sync even while in the background. You probably need to go to Settings->Battery settings->"See which apps are affecting your battery life"->MobileSheets->Uncheck "Let Windows decide when this app can run in the background" and "Reduce the work the app can do when it's in the background", and then check "Allow the app to run background tasks".

Mike

Thanks, Mike. It will take me a couple of days to do some more testing, but I will do that and get back to you on this.
(07-03-2019, 08:45 AM)wthalliii Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 02:50 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I've been testing and when I click "Continue" after a sync finishes, I'm still able to connect to other devices after, regardless of whether the device is the server or client. I'm not sure how to reproduce what you are seeing.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. It will take me a couple of days to do some more testing, but I will do that and get back to you on this. 

Okay, I finally had time to do more testing, and now it's behaving in the background, not suspending at all. This is a desktop so doesn't have battery settings, but I did find a section which specifies which apps can run in the background, and Mobilesheets was set to allow it to do that. I haven't changed that, so I can't reproduce the problem, either.

As far as the server thing, here's what I am doing. I start the server on my main desktop. I go to another PC and set it to client and connect to the server. When it's finished, there's a message on the server saying the sync is done, and gives me the choice to continue or exit. I choose continue. I then try to connect to it again using the client on another PC, but the desktop running the server does not appear on the list.

Actually, this isn't that big a deal. It's not that much trouble to exit and start the server again. Actually, ideal would be to have the server display a message in the information box at the bottom that the sync is finished and that it's waiting for another connection with no message that has to be answered. But, on the other hand, I'm sure you have plenty to do without changing this.

Bottom line - thanks for looking into this. Probably not worth it for you to pursue further. Thanks for a great product.