• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatic snippet naming suggestion
Hi @all,

would it be possible to propose an automatic name for a new snippet,. e.g. derived from the original one? As of today the name field for the new snippet is empty at its creation.

Why?
I use snippets to create a linearization of a (scanned) score, so the original import is just the starter of the process, not a song to be kept. But very frequently the derived, ready-set snippet should take its place in the end, so a name suggestion very similar to the imported one would be very helpful to i) discerning the new snippet from the original import ii) relieve me from the chore to give a new name which will usually be not very short but should be self-documenting. At the moment, the name field is completely empty.

How?
The idea is already realized in many interaction systems (especially: downloads by web browsers) where new versions of the same desired file (resp. file name) are automatically build by something like filename(1).xyz, or ...(2).xyz, or ...(3).xyz, depending on the existence of the next-in-row name suggestion in the target directory. Having such as a starting point, even an individual naming would be derivable much faster as it will certainly relate to the name of the original import.

Additionally, leaving a respective suggestion as it is, one would immediately see which of the files is obviously the newest one, helping to get rid of the right (old, former) versions after finishing the creation of the new (final) snippet.

Kind regards,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
I've avoided providing a default name for the snippet mainly because I assumed if someone was creating a snippet from a file, they (9 times out of 10) would want to provide a different name for the song they are extracting from the larger file instead of naming it the same thing as the entire file itself. I adjust the name to add a (1) at the end or something similar, then the majority of the time the user would have to erase the name before entering a new one. This isn't a big deal if I force focus on the name field and have the entire text selected at the start so that the user can erase or replace the text easily. So I can change the code to do that if it would be of help to you.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I'd say your proposition is very well thought! It combines both usages in a very elegant way!

Cheers,
Petra
Playing classical music on a wind controller hobby-wise - and tired of carrying around tons of paper sheets.  Wink
Thanks for bringing that up again. It's an old request of mine

https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...p?tid=3187

and I think it should be a general approach for similar fields in MSP.