• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annotation rework
I am deeply interested in the Annotation Rework, most of my posts since I am a member are oriented in this direction... Using the annotation mode is my main concern appart from every other features of this complete and nice program!
I wonder if there could be a calendar, a countdown or a progress bar to show us where and when that could happen since I am waiting for this for years now?
There is so many enhancements and improvements on many aspects of the program, but even with years of practice with it I still struggle to keep up with my collegues when it comes to write things in my parts... I often have to pretend I am done with it when actually there is too many steps to get it done... I fear conductors get impatients and rule out the use of digital music stands because of this!
I can get a lot of job done before rehearsals to help out, but the live team work and conductor indications still require me more time then a pencil on a sheet of paper, and that's a shame!
I often think of doing the whole reheasing process on paper before scanning the parts just before performance, unless that ANNOTATION REWORK saves the whole experience!
I understand your desire for more information on the progress. Things have been slowed due to the high number of customer support requests over the last couple months. If I'm spending all of my development time trying to investigate issues, that leaves no time for progress on the rework unfortunately. Things will of course speed up once I go full time next year, but until then, the amount of time I have is never guaranteed. My goal is still to have it all finished before the end of the year. I don't want to post a calendar or anything like that, because it will just increase the amount of external pressure that is applied to me to finish by a date set in the sand. I also can't guess what percentage done I really am. There are certain features that I could mark off as done, but knowing what percentage that constitutes of the overall progress is hard to say. About the best I could do is post information about what individual features have been finished as they are developed (and finished means different things when it comes to the code is done versus it's been battle tested and is ready for use in an official release). I do appreciate your patience as I know it's taken far too long to get you the changes you need. I can say with certainty that it's going to be done soon though, as other than bug fixes and customer support, there is nothing that has a higher priority than it.

Mike
domgi, for the time being, can't you use a MS-Pen or something like that to just write manually your notes into the screen quickly like your analog pals during rehearsal and just make them into shinier annotations later when you've got time? Or doesn't that work on your device (on my Surface Pro it would work I think).
(08-20-2019, 09:42 PM)BRX Wrote: domgi, for the time being, can't you use a MS-Pen or something like that to just write manually your notes into the screen quickly like your analog pals during rehearsal and just make them into shinier annotations later when you've got time? Or doesn't that work on your device (on my Surface Pro it would work I think).

My friend, I do write as much as I can using my finger directly on screen (faster than picking up and down a pen), since I already have to hold my instruments (double bass and bow) with one arm, but I only have seconds to write down indications, as everyone need to get it done at the same time: it can't take more time than others unless the whole band starts without bass!
I also use a large double-page 22 inches and as much tricks possible to reduce input time, as to be in half page view to avoid zooming when the orchestra is in rehearsal (need to change all tools size by about +2 points when doing so), using 1 finger tap to enter overlay mode, 3 fingers tap to enter annotation mode, 2 fingers tap to alternate tools etc.
I also tried using a second BT pedal to avoid some taping but again it is more gear to bring and setup each time etc.
(08-20-2019, 01:00 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I understand your desire for more information on the progress. Things have been slowed due to the high number of customer support requests over the last couple months. If I'm spending all of my development time trying to investigate issues, that leaves no time for progress on the rework unfortunately. Things will of course speed up once I go full time next year, but until then, the amount of time I have is never guaranteed. My goal is still to have it all finished before the end of the year. I don't want to post a calendar or anything like that, because it will just increase the amount of external pressure that is applied to me to finish by a date set in the sand. I also can't guess what percentage done I really am. There are certain features that I could mark off as done, but knowing what percentage that constitutes of the overall progress is hard to say. About the best I could do is post information about what individual features have been finished as they are developed (and finished means different things when it comes to the code is done versus it's been battle tested and is ready for use in an official release). I do appreciate your patience as I know it's taken far too long to get you the changes you need. I can say with certainty that it's going to be done soon though, as other than bug fixes and customer support, there is nothing that has a higher priority than it.

Mike

Thanks for your much appreciated answer Mike!
I totally understand your concerns about priorities etc and I respect that.
It is a good idea maybe to start a section on the forums to follow that progress as you wish.
BTW, is it possible to reverse the save confirmation procedure between page turns in annotation mode, that's another time consuming change... or that it would be selectable?
The point size difference between single half-page versus full double-page view is another thing...
Finally, the STAMP tool would be more usefull if there can be a more direct or choosable floating box or something, now it takes way too much time to scroll thru the whole list before finding symbols!

Thanks anyway for everything, your program is the future of music tools for all of us!
The rework should address all of those issues. There will be no separate editor screen, so there are no issues with different display mode when annotating vs viewing. There is no save confirmation, because everything will be saved automatically (this means there is no way to cancel but you can just hit undo). Stamps are being completely reworked and my plan is to have a grid with all of the available stamps. I may add tabs to this popup to categorize the stamps.

Mike
BTW, I was just procjecting my Surface Pro onto your situation. The pen is always fastened magnetically at the top of the screen/tablet and so immediately available for me to pick up and put away as quick or quicker as those who have to grab their pens and pencils. But I see that it doesn't work for your way bigger device and setup.

But incidentally, it would be cool if using the MS-Pen on the screen would (optionally) switch directly to a writing/drawing mode by recognizing the sensor (or what it is). Can you do something like that, Mike?
I can detect when the pen is hovering and switch at that point. I don't believe I can detect when any of the buttons are pressed though.

Mike
(08-21-2019, 06:26 AM)BRX Wrote: BTW, I was just procjecting my Surface Pro onto your situation. The pen is always fastened magnetically at the top of the screen/tablet and so immediately available for me to pick up and put away as quick or quicker as those who have to grab their pens and pencils. But I see that it doesn't work for your way bigger device and setup.

But incidentally, it would be cool if using the MS-Pen on the screen would (optionally) switch directly to a writing/drawing mode by recognizing the sensor (or what it is). Can you do something like that, Mike?

Thanks for your suggestion BRX, but I definitly prefer not to have a pen at all, it is just faster !
This might not be the right section for suggestions, but what would be great is to have the option to enter annotation directly (as Mike is explaining in his next annotation rework), but also in half page mode in order to have full screen width instead of having to zoom in and out when exiting... I tried writing directly with a pen without zooming, but it is still too small/not precise enough without zooming!
But thanks again!
There is no separate editor in the new design so whatever display mode you are using is what you will be annotating on. That's why the transition between viewing and annotating will be faster after the rework. 

Mike
(08-21-2019, 11:30 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: There is no separate editor in the new design so whatever display mode you are using is what you will be annotating on. That's why the transition between viewing and annotating will be faster after the rework. 

Mike

Yes I am very happy with this, but then if I need to zoom in before writing something in a small place, could there be a quick way to toggle view modes by pedaling or with a single button before turning the view back to two-page?
A multi-finger assigned tap could do the same task if possible in the choices of actions?
I can look into that if it's necessary. Is there a reason you couldn't just zoom in with whatever display mode is active though? Is there a reason you would need to switch modes?

Thanks,
Mike
(08-22-2019, 03:28 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I can look into that if it's necessary. Is there a reason you couldn't just zoom in with whatever display mode is active though? Is there a reason you would need to switch modes?

Thanks,
Mike

Yes there is a reason, I will explain this very common situation:
1. When i read and play: "normal" full dual page view
2. When we stop playing to write annotations:
a) i need to enter edit mode (either by triple tapping the concerned page when it works, but there is often a 2-3 seconds delay, or single tapping the screen to show overlay mode THEN choose annotation mode witch is a safer way, advance to the next page when it is the right side one)
b) pinch zooming and grabbing in the music to the desired spot
c) select desired tool and write it (often with pen, marker or stamp, select and eraser tools when needed)
d) save to exit and return to normal view, change page when needed to repeat or go to other pages to copy annotations)

Alternate trick: when i know we are going to stop often in the same music spot, i can change normal view mode to full widht screen half pages to avoid the zooming/grabbing procedure and just enter/exit annotation mode after editing the music, but the line size needs to be pumped up about +2 points to match full page mode. The problem with this trick is if the conductor decides to go on reading further because my half pages turning points are not set yet, so i need to switch viewing mode again while playing!

I could setup a second BT pedal if i could program some of those mode switching, tool selectig or even save/exit actions to foot control and free up/reduce finger interraction for writing exclusively.
There won't be an edit mode anymore (meaning there won't be a separate editor screen). It's not going to change display modes on you when you go to make annotations. It's just going to let you annotate directly on the pages you are viewing. You will be able to zoom in to either one of the pages in two page mode, annotate, zoom back out and then continue. 

Mike
(08-23-2019, 10:04 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: There won't be an edit mode anymore (meaning there won't be a separate editor screen). It's not going to change display modes on you when you go to make annotations. It's just going to let you annotate directly on the pages you are viewing. You will be able to zoom in to either one of the pages in two page mode, annotate, zoom back out and then continue. 

Mike

This is going to help a lot, but how is the zooming going to work in dual page view, is the zoomed portion will still be in that previous part of the screen, leaving the other page normal? I was hoping in a way to use a pedal or touch action to switch back and forth between single half-page (full screen widht for annotations) to dual page (full size viewing) if possible, that would allow to write directly in the music without having to zoom, and go back to reading mode while saving on the way out!