• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharp/flat buttons for transposing
"... Those buttons are not meant to override how chords are transposed, and whether sharp or flat chords are chosen when transposing. They just toggle between enharmonic equivalents. If you disagree and think those buttons should provide a way to override the way in which every chord is transposed ..."
Yes, I disagree. The rule "C as a key containing only sharps, and F as a key containing only flats" applies to notes in standard notation, not to chords.

My example "What A Wonderful World" demonstrates that flat keys in C Major definitely make sense. At least I need a possibility to choose if flats or sharps are used. In my case, regarding "What A Wonderful World" I found a workaround. I need it in C and in F. My example was originally in F, the issue came up when I transposed it to C. Now I do it the other way round: the base file in C with the Ab explicitly written in the file. The F version uses the same file, transposed to F. The Ab chord is correctly transposed to Db - fine so far. The issue will be back as soon as somebody asks for playing it in G - the Ab will be transposed to D# but I would expect it to be an Eb.

That the transpose keyword in the chord pro file differentiates between sharps for transposing up (a positive value) and flats for transposing down (a negative value) is another argument that it makes sense to allow this choice.

And another example song: "Dream A Little Dream Of Me" changes the key for the B section. The Mamas & Papas version changes from G to E - that would fit in your "only sharps for G" rule. But the equally wonderful version by Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald that can be found in many fakebooks changes from G to Eb. If the chords would be written with their enharmonic sharps equivalent it would be very hard to read.

If I would use the ChordPro transpose keyword I would lose the possibilty to use one base ChordPro file for the same song in different keys. And transposing "on the fly" during a session would require editing the file, making it much less convenient.

Regarding the "set starting key" dialog (which is a completely independent topic):
Extra processing to specify the key is not required on every opening of the file. It is enough to do it every time the file has been changed. I think MSP already detects file changes or am I mislead?
A button "(re-)detect starting key" would be also possible. Not very elegant, but it would make sure that the starting key really matches the contents of the file without having to open it in the editor and think about it's starting key.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Messages In This Thread
Sharp/flat buttons for transposing - by itsme - 09-14-2019, 06:12 PM
RE: Sharp/flat buttons for transposing - by itsme - 09-14-2019, 06:23 PM
RE: Sharp/flat buttons for transposing - by itsme - 10-26-2019, 12:57 AM
RE: Sharp/flat buttons for transposing - by itsme - 12-28-2019, 06:29 PM
RE: Sharp/flat buttons for transposing - by itsme - 01-04-2020, 07:32 AM