• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Option for Pop-Up Text Box When Leaving a Song
Hello, Mike,

I hoping you can consider adding a simple feature.  I know it will help me, but I think it might help other synth players (especially anyone with a Casio synth).  (I suspect there are others that may benefit from this feature as well).

Problem:
In some songs I play (during gigs, etc.) I use synth presets (or user presets).  Other times I use "Registration Parts", which allow you to add splits (with octave changes), layers, and other features.

During a gig when I leave song that uses a Registration Part to play a song that uses preset/user tones, the synth retains the splits/layers/octave changes from the Registration Part.  So, unless I make sure I "clear out that" split/layer/octave change, it messes up the sounds of the tones I select for the next song (it will apply the split/layer/octave change to the preset/user tone, when I don't want that).

Current work around:
So, what I do now in a set list, which usually works, is set up a pop-up text box in the song following the song with the Registration Part.  In the text box I remind myself to clear out the split/layer/octave change that was in the prior Registration Part I used.

Unfortunately, if we start skipping around songs, this work around does not work (because I am not playing the songs in the set list order order to see the pop-up text box in the song following the song with the Registration Part)

Solution:
So, I would like the option of adding a pop-up text box whenever I leave a particular song.  So, in songs that I use a Registration Part, whenever I leave that particular song, it will remind me (with a pop-up text box I create) to clear out the Registration Part.

Thanks for you consideration.

Jeff
Hello Jeff,

Are you saying that pop-up would only be shown when returning from a song back to the library screen? Or would you also want it shown when switching songs in the same setlist? What happens if you leave one song that has notes to be displayed but the next song also has notes? Display the leaving notes then the next notes? That's definitely going to make it a little more messy. I would also have to add additional settings in the notes UI to control which notes are displayed when leaving a song versus showing it. So I'm not sure what the timeline would be for something like this. It would definitely help if a lot of other users throw their weight behind it as well, otherwise it seems like an unusual request except for the scenario you described.

Thanks,
Mike
(09-26-2019, 04:16 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Hello Jeff,

Are you saying that pop-up would only be shown when returning from a song back to the library screen? Or would you also want it shown when switching songs in the same setlist? What happens if you leave one song that has notes to be displayed but the next song also has notes? Display the leaving notes then the next notes? That's definitely going to make it a little more messy. I would also have to add additional settings in the notes UI to control which notes are displayed when leaving a song versus showing it. So I'm not sure what the timeline would be for something like this. It would definitely help if a lot of other users throw their weight behind it as well, otherwise it seems like an unusual request except for the scenario you described.

Thanks,
Mike
Hello, Mike,

How I envision it, I could set up the option that whenever I leave the particular song, the pop up would show to remind me to clear out the Registration Split (or, of course, whatever I write in the text box).  In my mind it would be set it up so it won't let me leave that song without tapping on it again.

I guess you have deal with different situations when you are leaving a song.   Ideally, it would be set up to apply whenever you leave that song (whether you are going to the next song in a set list or collection, or whether you are returning to set list, or returning to a collection, etc.).  So, the idea would be that you could set it up so the pop up would show (and keep you from leaving the song until you tapped again) every time you leave the song for any reason.  (Alternatively, you could limit it to leaving a song in a set list, whichever is easier for you).

This would not interfere with any pop-up text in the next song.  That would pop up when you opened the next song.

I wouldn't think this would be too unwieldy.  

Jeff
Well if you turned the page to go from one song in a setlist to the next song, technically you are leaving the previous song and you are viewing the next song, so both pop-ups would need to be shown. This is a little more tedious to handle in the Windows 10 version as you can only have one dialog up at a time, so they would need to be queued up so that one would open after the other is closed (which breaks the current flow of the code, so I'd have to come up with some design changes to handle that).

Mike
How about a MIDI command when leaving a song?
For me it looks like some action has to be applied to the synthesizer and the reminder pop-up is just a crutch that you don't forget to do it manually.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(09-27-2019, 05:32 PM)itsme Wrote: How about a MIDI command when leaving a song?
For me it looks like some action has to be applied to the synthesizer and the reminder pop-up is just a crutch that you don't forget to do it manually.
That seems to be the right way to solve the problem - automatically send a midi command to reset the synth when you leave a chart.  Loading the next chart will then send the commands associated with it.  I suspect this would be easier for Mike to implement?
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(09-27-2019, 08:17 PM)GraemeJ Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 05:32 PM)itsme Wrote: How about a MIDI command when leaving a song?
That seems to be the right way to solve the problem - automatically send a midi command to reset the synth when you leave a chart.  Loading the next chart will then send the commands associated with it.  I suspect this would be easier for Mike to implement?

I do not connect my synths to my tablet, so that does not work (I tend to think most people do not).
Yes, the pop up is reminder.  I don't connect my keyboards to my tablet and I am not going to add a another layer of complexity.
(09-27-2019, 04:35 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Well if you turned the page to go from one song in a setlist to the next song, technically you are leaving the previous song and you are viewing the next song, so both pop-ups would need to be shown. This is a little more tedious to handle in the Windows 10 version as you can only have one dialog up at a time, so they would need to be queued up so that one would open after the other is closed (which breaks the current flow of the code, so I'd have to come up with some design changes to handle that).

Mike

I would think it could be set up so you can't close/leave the song until you closed the pop up window (by tapping again).  So (unless I am missing something), this should not interfere with another pop up that would only open when you opened another song.

But, it's cool Mike, looks like I am the only one looking for this.  Thanks for looking into it.

Jeff
(09-27-2019, 11:13 PM)jeffn1 Wrote:
Yes, the pop up is reminder.  I don't connect my keyboards to my tablet and I am not going to add a another layer of complexity.
But you easily ask for another layer of complexity in MSP software by requesting a feature that you might be the only person who needs such a pop-up?
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(09-28-2019, 12:21 AM)itsme Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 11:13 PM)jeffn1 Wrote:
But you easily ask for another layer of complexity in MSP software by requesting a feature that you might be the only person who needs such a pop-up?
This is not too complex for the user.  Ignore it if you don't need it.  (There are plenty off tools (maybe 90%) I don't use.)

I could see this being helpful for any person who uses some set up for a song that would need to be undone going forward.

Of course, keyboard players would benefit most (reminder to undue transpose is another use)

Also, guitarists who want to remind themselves to "undo" drop D (or other) tuning.

I wouldn't be surprised to find other uses are found for this if it is available.  (I suggested an option that pedal pushes do not switch to the next song in a set list.  I have seen that that is option is useful to others).

But, I am not pushing further.  Mike has plenty to work on, this may not be useful to everyone (and Mike is very responsive and willing to engage).

Jeff
(09-27-2019, 11:17 PM)jeffn1 Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 04:35 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Well if you turned the page to go from one song in a setlist to the next song, technically you are leaving the previous song and you are viewing the next song, so both pop-ups would need to be shown. This is a little more tedious to handle in the Windows 10 version as you can only have one dialog up at a time, so they would need to be queued up so that one would open after the other is closed (which breaks the current flow of the code, so I'd have to come up with some design changes to handle that).

Mike

I would think it could be set up so you can't close/leave the song until you closed the pop up window (by tapping again).  So (unless I am missing something), this should not interfere with another pop up that would only open when you opened another song.

But, it's cool Mike, looks like I am the only one looking for this.  Thanks for looking into it.

Jeff

Whilst the request sounds simple to you, you don't know how the code is organised. There may not be a point in the code that says "I am leaving a song". As Mike hinted, sometimes it is a page turn. So you can't say what would interfere with what or how easy any of this would be. Only Mike can.

I get the feeling from his replies that it is sufficiently difficult that he would want it to benefit a number of people to make the work worthwhile.

Maybe you could add an annotation at the bottom of the song that says "Don't forget to reset the synth" in nice big letters. Smile

Andy
(09-28-2019, 02:01 AM)AndyL Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 11:17 PM)jeffn1 Wrote:

Mike

Jeff

Whilst the request sounds simple to you, you don't know how the code is organised. There may not be a point in the code that says "I am leaving a song". As Mike hinted, sometimes it is a page turn. So you can't say what would interfere with what or how easy any of this would be. Only Mike can.

I get the feeling from his replies that it is sufficiently difficult that he would want it to benefit a number of people to make the work worthwhile.

Maybe you could add an annotation at the bottom of the song that says "Don't forget to reset the synth" in nice big letters. Smile

Andy
Agreed. Mike is the best.  Yep, that is a good suggestion (I have done this and will continue). Smile