• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Song-Tempo vs Metronome-Tempo
Hallo Mike, hallo everybody,

I have a relatively minor request:

Each song/piece has a tempo, which it can be set in the edit menu (Fields-Tempo). This tempo, like the song-title, should be always the same. 
While using the metronome during practicing and changing the tempo from slow to fast, the song/piece tempo also changes.
I would find it great to be able to change the metronome tempo without changing the "file-stamped", overall tempo of the song.

Many greetings and thanks once again for the great app!
electricOdysseas

Windows 11
Android
MobileSheetsPro
I agree. Actually it's an old pending request of mine.

https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...p?tid=3670
The main problem is just that there is no database field to store the metronome tempos separately from the song tempos. I'm going to have to add a new field in the database to separate the two and then update the code to make them independent from each other. It's not that I don't want to make the changes - I just haven't had time to implement them yet. If this is a huge issue for you guys, let me know and I can see what I can do to shuffle things around to slip it into an update. 

Mike
Well, strictly speaking for me, but I think it's a bigger issue than many others you already provided for since it's more a general thing than a single feature some users might want.

If you play in a bigband or orchestra there's very often a performance tempo which is used, well, in a performance. In practice or in some other occasions it might be changed, but it should be fix and inherent to the song.
(10-20-2019, 02:36 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The main problem is just that there is no database field to store the metronome tempos separately from the song tempos.

IIUC, there would be no need to store the metronome tempo since the slower tempo is used for practicing only and should revert to the song tempo next time the song is opened.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Is the thought that changing the song tempo value in the song editor would still update the metronome, but changing the metronome just wouldn't impact the song's tempo value? if that's all people want, I can implement it right away.

Mike
That's a very good idea!
This implementation would grant my request.

I guess reloading the song would set the metronome to the song-tempo and not the last tempo set in the metronome.
I would not have any problem with this eather
electricOdysseas

Windows 11
Android
MobileSheetsPro
I'm not sure about this!
I commonly change the tempo of a song from the metronome dialog and I would want it to be remembered like it does at present.
Other settings on the metronome dialog would automatically be saved and this would be confusing to the user if tempo wasn't also changed

Perhaps a "Changes: Permanent/Temporary"  settings in the dialog? ; always reverts to Permanent when song (re)opened

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Quote:I guess reloading the song would set the metronome to the song-tempo and not the last tempo set in the metronome.

I would not have any problem with this eather

I understand, that you expect the metronome settings/edits to be "remembered"/ saved. Everyone has his own workflow!
For me is not important for the metronome-tempo to be saved,  since I change it constantly while practicing: from 50 BPM, to 60 BPM, until I reach the song-tempo. 
The song-tempo on the other hand is a part of the song, like it's title/notes/character etc. and cannot be changed.
So my problem is that whenever I practice and use the metronome the song-tempo also changes. The next time I load the file, I do not remember the exact "target-tempo"/ song-tempo.
It is maybe a bad analogy, but imagine after practicing the half of the song, only the half of the song-title is being saved.

Maybe another possibility could be that the metronome edits are being saved, but in edit mode there is a distiction (2 Tempo-fields for example) between metronome-tempo and song-tempo.
electricOdysseas

Windows 11
Android
MobileSheetsPro
Quote:So my problem is that whenever I practice and use the metronome the song-tempo also changes. The next time I load the file, I do not remember the exact "target-tempo"/ song-tempo.

I'd suggest a song note for that. It is shortly shown when you load the song so you are reminded what the target tempo is.

Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
One could also just annotate the page to say what the tempo should be.

The main issue with this (or a song note) would be that one would always have to open the metronome dialogue to check it was set to the correct value (perhaps the metronome could show a fading value when it starts). From a user point of view, it would be easier if the practise tempo was never saved.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Yes, not saving the practice values seems easiest to me too.
Johan
I guess an annotation is the easiest way to do it. Mike does not have reprogram anything and everybody will be happy.

As a consideration: 

In a future update of MS, it would be great to have an extra field (in edit-Mode) with the "File/Song-Tempo".
An intergration of both tempos in the metronome would also be great:
The metronome could have an extra button to set the tempo to the "Song/File/Piece-Tempo"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

electricOdysseas

Windows 11
Android
MobileSheetsPro
(10-21-2019, 02:39 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Is the thought that changing the song tempo value in the song editor would still update the metronome, but changing the metronome just wouldn't impact the song's tempo value? if that's all people want, I can implement it right away.

Mike

That's all I suggested and wanted.
This would be great for me:
A song-tempo that cannot be changed by mistake (and can be recalled  in the edit menu).
electricOdysseas

Windows 11
Android
MobileSheetsPro