• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PDF Page Number Customization or Page Number Shift
I can look into supporting other page numbering displays. I researched this and it involves having to look up fields in the PDF that indicates how certain pages are numbered. Apparently these types are supported:

(Optional) The numbering style to be used for the numeric portion of each page label:
    D      Decimal arabic numerals
    R      Uppercase roman numerals
    r      Lowercase roman numerals
    A      Uppercase letters (A to Z for the first 26 pages, AA to ZZ for the next 26, and so on)
    a      Lowercase letters (a to z for the first 26 pages, aa to zz for the next 26, and so on)

A prefix can also be specified (which is how the cover pages start with "C") as well as the starting page for a given range (so you could start on page 3 instead of page 1 if there was a reason to). So this definitely adds a lot of complexity in displaying the page numbers, which is something that is very simple in nature right now. I'll have a lot of code changes to make so that values entered by the user can support these page ranges and be mapped correctly back to the actual PDF page numbers. For example, if the document starts with C1 through C5 and i-v for indices, the user should be able to have a page range such as "C1-C3,i-iv,1-15". This is much more complex than what I'm doing now, as I'll have to ignore custom prefixes before numbers and convert roman numerals to digits (no idea if that's internally supported in Java and C# but I'll find out). 

So I definitely want to help support this to make your life easier with these PDFs. I don't know if I can justify working on this before the annotations rework or iOS version though as far more people will benefit from the availability of those over better page numbering for large PDFs. If you can wait fora while, then I should be able to get to it after the iOS version is released. If you need something sooner, we will have to brainstorm something that fits within the current design that doesn't require a lot of design and UI changes to support. Nothing comes to mind though that doesn't require a lot of complexity in the implementation. BRX's idea is interesting but I don't really understand how the user would reference the "ignored" pages though for things like bookmarks, link points, etc, or how those pages would be displayed to the user.

Mike

Messages In This Thread
RE: PDF Page Number Customization or Page Number Shift - by Zubersoft - 10-22-2019, 01:41 AM