• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PDF Page Number Customization or Page Number Shift
(10-23-2019, 05:55 PM)itsme Wrote: "... I am totally ignorant on CSV files and how to create them from PDF's ..."
I recommend changing that. Using CSV files is less difficult as you might think.

"...Even the master index I have for all 12 books is 69 pages long with over 3700 entries..."
This statement makes me assume that you already have a digital table of content of all the songs in your books.
Creating CSV files from that list sounds doable. How does this master index look like? Is it an Excel / LibreOffice Calc file?

Opening a PDF book as a whole and turning pages up to the song you are looking for is not what MSP is designed for. You can do that but there are more convenient ways to handle fakebooks in MSP.

As I mentioned earlier, the master index like all of the files is a scanned image file in PDF format. What it was originally created in is beyond me but I have feeling it was in Word. I have no access to the original file, just the scanned 69 page PDF.

My thought was to export it into Excel, create 12 formulas for the 12 referenced books to change the page numbers and go from there. However, the file doesn't export well to other file formats like Excel. Can the exported file Excel be fixed, yes. Do I wish to take the time to fix it, probably not because again, this if NOT my primary source of sheets, just a fallback if I don't have a song among the other 800 individual sheets I have in my library.

I understand fully that MSP isn't designed for this type of application and it would be incredibly easy for me to extract each page as an individual song but infesting my existing 800 song library with another 4000 sheets for convenience sake is definitely not going to happen, not to mention doing the work on the individual imported sheets to re-title & differentiate them from each other in the style I have that information formatted presently.

Maybe I am a bit fastidious (to use a nice word), but my library is VERY organized and I can tell at a glance by scrolling the song list what song & what version is listed which saves me a lot of time looking for something I don't already have in a Setlist or Collection. Bringing in an extra 4000 songs and having anything less than that level of "tidiness" in titles when looking for a song would waste more time than cross-referencing two documents and doing a little addition. Wink

As far as available Acrobat options like deleting the index sheets & covers, I really don't want to do that because there is good information in those pages beside the individual indexes that is nice to have access to. I have given some thought to reordering the pages and putting the front cover & index pages at the back so the first "song" is page one but there would be some awkwardness to that if I want to see those index pages for some reason although, it would be a workaround without losing anything.

Another idea was to remove the page number completely in Acrobat (which can be done) so page one on the original PDF fake book is the first song. I tried that, however when you import a multi-sheet PDF into MSP presently, the first page is page 1 regardless of how or if that first page is numbered in the PDF.

Yes it would be nice if MSP would allow some slick way to get from the index page of one document to another or something similar but I don't know if that is even possible or necessary given the limited applications. I am also leery of the amount of work involved for me to create a workaround within the current feature set to have something similar.

For now I would be delighted for a simple page renumbering capability. I can manage with things as they are now as well, even though I don't particularly like it because I know it I won't need to access those Fake Books very often.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions!

In the meantime, I need to learn more about CSV files and how they can make my life easier with MobileSheets. Any suggestions for that would be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
RE: PDF Page Number Customization or Page Number Shift - by Scherzo - 10-26-2019, 03:15 AM