• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crash with no Internet?
Hi,

I noticed this problem first in 2.7.5 (could have been in 2.7.4 which I did not download) and the issue still exists in 2.7.7. When our team plays I plug in a router (not connected to the Internet) and I'm the Master to bring up and manage the song list (connected tablets). Right now, when I start up MobileSheets connected to the router with no Internet it crashes (all the time - and every tablet). Basically I have to turn off WiFi on the tablet, startup MobileSheets and turn WiFi back on. If I'm on my home network (and ISP) it's works fine.

Mike
Another user contacted me about this problem, but when I repeated the same exact test with a router with no internet access, the app worked fine for me. What kind of tablet are you using and what Android version is it running?

I should mention that if you experience this crash, then load the app with internet access, it should submit the crash logs to me for analysis. I haven't received any crash logs though, which is concerning. I'm not sure how to explain that...

Thanks,
Mike
Mike sent me the logcat file from the crash and it appears the audio library I'm using (SuperpoweredAudio) sends an HTTP request in the background, and this crashes on some devices if connected to a router without internet access. I believe the audio library is trying to validate my license information (it must be a new protection mechanism they've added). I've sent a support request to the company that makes the library informing them of this issue. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with a solution soon.

Mike
I find this disturbing.

To ensure maximal performance, battery time and no disturbances I like to be able to run MSPro on a tablet that has everything stripped/disabled/blocked as far as possible. Only BlueTooth for the pedal. (Most of the time venues for gigs do not provide WiFi anyway but even when they do I switch it off -- no disturbances.)

So I think for an app like MSPro it is necessary to be able to run without network and without being dependent on dubious services (i.e. Google). Yes, I know you currently cannot avoid Google services, but it is worth to consider it.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(11-01-2019, 05:50 PM)sciurius Wrote: I find this disturbing.

To ensure maximal performance, battery time and no disturbances I like to be able to run MSPro on a tablet that has everything stripped/disabled/blocked as far as possible. Only BlueTooth for the pedal. (Most of the time venues for gigs do not provide WiFi anyway but even when they do I switch it off -- no disturbances.)

So I think for an app like MSPro it is necessary to be able to run without network and without being dependent on dubious services (i.e. Google). Yes, I know you currently cannot avoid Google services, but it is worth to consider it.

sciurius,

If you run MSPro without WiFi, it's fine. Only when you are connected to a WiFi router without access to the Internet. When our band gigs, we plug in a simple wireless router (pretty much any one will do) - obviously there is no connection to the Internet. Then use the "Connect Table" feature of MSPro and I (who is leading) can bring up any song and I also use a bluetooth pedal to change pages (for everyone). Although I could, I never rely on other venue networks (and routers are pretty cheap). MSPro is quite slick!

Mike
MobileSheetsPro will always be designed to operate with no internet connection. This is just a bug in that third party's software. I'm guessing what happens is that it detects that the WiFi is on and connected to a router, so it tries to access the internet, but there is no error handling for the situation where there is no internet connection. It's occurring in a separate thread that the library starts, so there doesn't appear to be a way for me to just catch the error and ignore it. I also want to be sure this doesn't impact the audio playback functionality, so I'm just waiting to hear back from Superpowered Audio's creator.

Mike
(11-02-2019, 03:09 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I also want to be sure this doesn't impact the audio playback functionality, so I'm just waiting to hear back from Superpowered Audio's creator.

Mike

Is there a possibility to disable audio/metronome/midi?
I would be very happy to run MS without any audio.
If you go to Settings->Other Settings there is an option to disable the audio player. This doesn't completely disable the loading of the third party library though, it just ensures the audio functionality is not used. There is no option at the moment to disable the MIDI or the metronome. I can certainly look into adding those kinds of options in the future.

Mike