• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sets in set lists
I'd find it very useful to be able too group songs into sets and then put sets into set lists. When I am playing in a ceilidh band we will usually play tunes in sets i.e. jigs A+B+C or X+Y+Z. Obviously I need these tunes to be adjacent in the set list so when I do a page turn the next jig comes up. 

I'm aware I could scan the tunes into a single PDF but the trouble is the tunes don't always go in the same set so sometimes it's A+B+C but another time it could be A+B+D and as there's no joining facility I would have to rescan from paper every time the combination changes. The other problem is that as single tunes I can't sort a big set list alphabetically as it changes the order of adjacent tunes.
(11-10-2019, 03:06 AM)ianmcairns Wrote: I'd find it very useful to be able too group songs into sets and then put sets into set lists. When I am playing in a ceilidh band we will usually play tunes in sets i.e. jigs A+B+C or X+Y+Z. Obviously I need these tunes to be adjacent in the set list so when I do a page turn the next jig comes up. 

I'm aware I could scan the tunes into a single PDF but the trouble is the tunes don't always go in the same set so sometimes it's A+B+C but another time it could be A+B+D and as there's no joining facility I would have to rescan from paper every time the combination changes. The other problem is that as single tunes I can't sort a big set list alphabetically as it changes the order of adjacent tunes.
Hey ianmcairns,  this has been my work around for set breaks - maybe it will help you.  I scanned in a blank page that has one large word on it "BREAK".  After about 15 songs in a set, I place that page break sheet next in the song list, then follow it with the next group of songs for the next set and so on.
Another trick is naming the set list sequentially so at the end of a set list the next one in the set window can be picked and so on.

e.g.
Band-Venue-YYYY-Month-Day-set-1
Band-Venue-YYYY-Month-Day-set-2
Band-Venue-YYYY-Month-Day-set-3

hope this helps.

==========
I don't really see a major issue here

Create each song as a separate entity i.e. only one song per name

Basically, you can put the songs you want into small setlists  e.g. A+B+C, A+B+D etc. (you can use the "+" character in the set list name)

When creating a new setlist for a gig, just use the New option to create the empty list. You might ;like to add a space character to the name of this setlist so that it appears at the top of the page (assuming alphabetic sorting)

Then on the Setlists tabs, long press the first "short" set list you want to add e.g. A+B+D and press the "three vertical dots" at the top right of the screen and select "Add to Setlist".
Repeat for any other small setlists you want to add (they will get added to the end of the list you are creating)

Alternatively, you could have larger "small" setlists and edit the new setlist to remove items you don't want in the newly created setlist
If necessary, you can also use the edit mechanism to add songs that don't fit into a predefined "small" setlist

After the gig/performance, you can either delete the full setlist (leaving just the small setlists) or, if you added a space to the start of the name, rename it without the space so that it moves to the correct position on the setlist page. Including the date as specified  by tmj100 also helps maintain an order to the setlists  i.e. yyyy-mm-dd  2019-11-25  (using 2019-Nov-25 will not aid showing the items in date order)

There are probably other ways to achieve what you are trying to do but, not knowing your exact requirements, I guess you'll just have to experiment to get the result you want

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
What I do is create a "dance" song that is made up of the PDFs of each of the tunes used in the dance. So I don't have to re-scan anything to make a new PDF. MSPro will only keep one copy of the PDF regardless of how many times you use it in however many "songs".

You can name your new "multi-songs" with the A+B+C convention if you want, but I usually give them a name that matches the name of the dance. Then when the caller says the dance name, I know which song to load.

So when creating a song, on the files page, you can add as many PDFs as you like and these can be ones you have already added to a song. You can check the storage location used by MSPro in Settings->Storage. You can then navigate to that location and choose the PDFs you want. You will get a warning that the PDF already exists. Selecting "Use existing" is usually what you want. You can alter the order the PDFs are displayed in to get the right tunes in the right order.

HTH

Andy