• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto re-connect of tablets fails (master-slave)
Hello Marc,

Yes, I did change the code to use mac address. If there is an error with the device in retrieving that identifier, that could pose a problem though. What MobileSheets does is save the MAC address of the leader tablet, and if the leader changes IP addresses, MobileSheets will get the broadcast message with a different MAC address, and MobileSheets will recognize that the device is the same as the leader it was connected to, and will reconnect to that IP address instead. This only works if broadcast messages are being sent/received on your network (as I haven't switched to DNS SD for this yet). If you are using the "Direct Connect" option to connect devices, then this may not help, because no broadcast messages will be received, so MobileSheets won't know that the MAC address of the leader device changed. In this case, you'd need to modify the router to accept/allow broadcast packets, and you'll have to wait until I implement the changes to switch to DNS SD to turn that back off. 

As far as your question, it will cause the initial connection attempt to fail, so it's not the best thing, however MobileSheets should attempt to reconnect periodically, so it should still work fine if you bring up the leader at a later point. Are you seeing the same problem across both the iPads and Android devices? Also, does the automatic discovery of devices work, or are you using the Direct Connect option? 

Mike

Messages In This Thread
RE: Auto re-connect of tablets fails (master-slave) - by Zubersoft - 11-05-2023, 06:16 PM