• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Normalization
Hey all,
I'm new and browsing for info and saw this. I know I'm late, but maybe this will help someone.

For volume normalization, there is a VERY easy solution that I've used for performance tracks for many years.
Unfortunately, the program hasn't been updated since 2018, but it still works great.

The program is called MP3Gain, and it's open source, available here: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net
Here's their write-up:
"Tired of reaching for your volume knob every time your mp3 player changes to a new song?
MP3Gain analyzes and adjusts mp3 files so that they have the same volume.
MP3Gain does not just do peak normalization, as many normalizers do. Instead, it does some statistical analysis to determine how loud the file actually sounds to the human ear.
Also, the changes MP3Gain makes are completely lossless. There is no quality lost in the change because the program adjusts the mp3 file directly, without decoding and re-encoding."

In case anyone is curious, here's my personal work-flow:
1. After installing, I create shortcuts to the main file (MP3GainGUI.exe) in the folder that holds my tracks. Do this for all the places you store music you want to normalize.
2. Now, any time you put new tracks in the folder, drag and drop as many as you want right on the shortcut. MP3Gain will open and wait for your input!
3. Once in the program, first thing to do is set your "Target 'Normal' Volume." Since this is lossless, don't worry about messing it up. 
BUT! I have found that the default 89dB is great for most tracks. Not nearly as much clipping. The only drawback is that your volume isn't "quite" as loud, so you'll have to turn it up on your computer a little.
4. You will want to click the Track Analysis the first few times just to see what happens. It's not really necessary once you get used to it.
5. If you have a lot of tracks, don't select any, just hit Track Gain and it'll do them all (or Select All, either way works).
6. I always watch to see just how much it adjusts the Gain. Interesting!
7. Don't freak out if you see a few tracks get marked under the "clip(Track)" column. That means a few 'highs' were knocked off, but if it didn't adust a lot, you will be ok. Take a listen to them to make sure. After a while you probably won't notice.

I should note that I make all my own tracks using MIDI and real Audio instruments. 
My programs are Band-In-A-Box (mainly for drums) and I record and edit in Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 (old version that works great!).
I perform with tracks at my church every week and also for jazz gigs on my saxophones. Every file has been normalized!
And now that I have MSP and a pedal... look out! ;-)

Hope that helps!
Eric

Messages In This Thread
Audio Normalization - by Trotsky26 - 12-24-2019, 06:20 PM
RE: Audio Normalization - by GraemeJ - 12-24-2019, 08:21 PM
RE: Audio Normalization - by Trotsky26 - 12-26-2019, 09:50 PM
RE: Audio Normalization - by otnt - 12-27-2019, 07:48 AM
RE: Audio Normalization - by GraemeJ - 12-27-2019, 06:57 PM
RE: Audio Normalization - by otnt - 12-27-2019, 11:48 PM
RE: Audio Normalization - by GraemeJ - 12-28-2019, 07:38 PM
RE: Audio Normalization - by otnt - 12-29-2019, 05:23 AM
RE: Audio Normalization - by GraemeJ - 12-29-2019, 08:33 PM