• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setlists - sort by recently played
I use setlists to keep track of my music by topic.  Disco, 80's, 70's, movies, Broadway, country, etc.

It occurs to me that it would be nice to be able to sort a playlist by most recently played.  So I could look at a setlist and say, "That's at the bottom of the list, guess I haven't played it for a while".
If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country AND Western
(03-16-2024, 10:42 AM)Frank Cox Wrote: I use setlists to keep track of my music by topic.  Disco, 80's, 70's, movies, Broadway, country, etc.

It occurs to me that it would be nice to be able to sort a playlist by most recently played.  So I could look at a setlist and say, "That's at the bottom of the list, guess I haven't played it for a while".

I concur. I have about half of my library in Musescore on a MacBook. I wrote a shell script to randomly select tunes to play. I keep a list of tunes along with the count of tunes played since the last time the list was reset (which occurs when the library changes or all tunes have been played). The latest selection gets moved to the end of the list and new tunes are only selected from the ones that haven’t been played. I ignore this script until I get tired of playing my favorites over and over. I’ve recently discovered some new favorites.
I do not currently track the last time a song was loaded in a setlist in the database, so I have no way of sorting a setlist by that. This is something that would have to be added. I do have metrics that I've added to the database, but I haven't had time to write the code yet to populate these, but once I do, this could be leveraged for sorting purposes. 

Mike
I assumed you were tracking the last time a song was loaded to populate the "recent" tab.  Or how are you deciding what order things go under that tab?

For the purposes of this feature request I don't care if the last time I loaded My Way was through my Lounge setlist or my Sinatra setlist, just that I played that one more recently than I played Stardust.
The recent tab is nothing more than a flat list, and I just add the last loaded song or setlist to the top of that list. It has no information about when a song or setlist was loaded, and the recent tab doesn't get updated as you turn through pages in a setlist. If you are only wanting to sort your setlists by the last time that setlist was loaded, in theory I could sort the setlists tab based on the order of the setlists on the recent tab, although I would prefer to do this by tracking the time/date the setlists were last loaded instead of using the recent list (as the recent list can be cleared by the user and only supports up to 1000 entries).

Mike
I see.

That makes a great deal of sense.  I had wrongly assumed you were maintaining some kind of a full-sized table of recently used songs.

Which goes to show you how much I know, I guess.  Confused 

Obviously, implementing this would be a bigger undertaking than I had thought.

So, in the immortal words of some random Mafia guy, "Fuhgeddaboudit".

The utility is far overshadowed by the work involved in getting it going.  Really.

Thanks ever so much for the reply and the insight!