• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Show song key
Is there a way to show the key a song is in when viewing the list of songs in the library?
You would need to change the song title formatting so that it shows the key in either the title or in the caption. If you go to Settings->Library Settings->Song Title Formatting, you could set the "Title Format" to :

%TITLE% [%KEYS%]

and then every song would show its key inside brackets.
(09-18-2016, 02:29 AM)Zuberman Wrote: You would need to change the song title formatting so that it shows the key in either the title or in the caption. If you go to Settings->Library Settings->Song Title Formatting, you could set the "Title Format" to :

%TITLE% [%KEYS%]

That works for me. Thanks again, Mike!
(09-18-2016, 02:29 AM)Zuberman Wrote: You would need to change the song title formatting so that it shows the key in either the title or in the caption. If you go to Settings->Library Settings->Song Title Formatting, you could set the "Title Format" to :

%TITLE% [%KEYS%]

Where would it get the key information? *confused*
(09-18-2016, 10:30 PM)Fela Wrote:

%TITLE% [%KEYS%]

Where would it get the key information? *confused*

I would assume it would retrieve the key information from the song fields that were filled out when I created the songs. There is a specific field for the key.
Quote:I would assume it would retrieve the key information from the song fields that were filled out when I created the songs. There is a specific field for the key.

*If* it has been filled out or taken from a file like in csv import. MSP can't guess the key from the sheet automatically if that's what got Fela confused.
I tend to use a key searching tool such as https://www.getsongkey.com as I can filter by song, artist or album and is good when I'm mixing on the fly. Do you use any tools yourself? I've found that sometimes people's ears can be different to hearing keys and we all have our own interpretations.
FWIW - All of the songs in my MobileSheets library are stored on my PC in folders in the native file format they were created in, as well as the PDF files I imported into MobileSheets which form the basis of my Library. In the case of certain songs stored in my PC, I may have 4 or more different keys in one folder.

All of the songs in my PC have the title formatted as follows: Title (with any necessary specifics like "Chorus" or version descriptions) - Key - [Number of Pages]. I also populate the Key field among others in MobileSheets once I import it but that is only for filtering purposes.

The benefit of doing it this way (for me) is I don't have to reformat the song title formatting in MobileSheets and it allows me to instantly know what keys I have a song in, BEFORE I import them so IF I create transpositions of certain songs after the fact or wish to swap a file, I know which one to bring into MobileSheets.

This also has added benefits for any number of organizational reasons outside of MobileSheets.