• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portrait Mode for HDMI Monitor?
Mike, I encounter the same issue: I'd like to use MobileSheetsPro on a cheap LG G5 smartphone connected with a USB-C cable (through DP alt mode) to a cheap portable 15.6" touch-monitor (which has a good matte/anti-glare display).

But the problem with this setup is the following:
- the phone is unrootable
- the display doesn't have a gravity sensor which makes it rotate correctly

Which means the monitor displays the portrait mode incorrectly:
[Image: r1Blf.png]
So my question is two-fold:
- Could you build a HDMI-rotation feature right into the app? Which does the same as this on a rooted device:
Code:
adb shell setprop persist.demo.hdmirotation portrait

OR (might be easier to implement):

- Could you offer the feature to rotate everything by 90 degrees? So I can just put the phone in landscape mode (which displays correctly on the external monitor) and have MobileSheetsPro displayed in portrait mode at the same time.

Thanks in advance for your help!
The only thing I have the ability to do is try to force the application into a specific orientation which you can access under Settings->Display Settings->Device Orientation Lock. If that does not work, then there is nothing else that the Android OS gives me the ability to alter in terms of the application orientation. There is no easy way to just force all of the UI elements and content to be shifted by 90 degrees. While I could try to apply a rotation to the root UI element of the application, this would undoutedbly have major consequences that would be hard to predict (assuming it even works). For example, I'm not sure what happens if you try to scroll a listview that has been visually rotated 90 degrees. It's possible that the Android framework translates all of the touch coordinates correctly, but I somehow doubt it's that easy. Just googling this, I found this post for example: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1502...-viewgroup

It indicates that touch events don't work correctly after the objects are rotated, and that a lot of work is necessary to even get things functioning correctly. 

Mike
(12-09-2020, 04:13 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: It indicates that touch events don't work correctly after the objects are rotated, and that a lot of work is necessary to even get things functioning correctly. 

Too bad, but thanks for looking into it!

A great workaround would be for me to rotate all pages by 90 degrees, which is easily done.
But in order to make that usable I would ask for you to implement only the following:
- Display Mode: Horizontal Scrolling (instead of only Vertical Scrolling)

The result would be quite the same :-)
I can certainly consider adding support for that in the future, but it's going to be much lower on the priority list as it really doesn't benefit anyone outside of this one scenario, as it wouldn't make sense to scroll pages horizontally otherwise. The more users I hear feedback from that will benefit from this, the higher I can raise it on the list, but I have a huge backlog of things that users have been waiting for, so I really need to deliver those changes as soon as I can.

Mike