• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sorting artists
Hi,

I'm rather new to MobileSheets and am impressed what's possible! You've got to take some time to find out how things are going, though.

I like the library view to get a quick overview over the items in a set list. Therefore, I've modified the title a bit to have the song ID in it. No big deal.

I've then started to get the artists into the data field: I put in the persons the songs are famous with and the arrangers of my music (big band arrangements). There, you got to ways - either insert all together in one entry (e.g. "G. Miller (Arr. White)") or as a list of multiple entries ("G. Miller", "(Arr. White)"). I did it the second way, as the all-entries-list will be shorter (there's maybe a dozen arrangers for all my sheets). But how can I achieve that the artists are set before the arrangers? Or the most famous artist in front?

The entries are not listed by alphabet in the single songs - I've got "Beatles, (Arr. White)", and I've got "(Arr. White), Film: Rocky". Is there a way to sort the entries - maybe via the MobileSheets Companion? Or are the entries strictly sorted by creating time?

Well, that point is not THAT much important. I just wonder if it's possible.

Thanks!
2x Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e with Android 11 / UI One 3.1 - AirTurn BT-200
Are you putting the arrangers and the artists into a single field with multiple comma-separated values? Or are you utilizing multiple fields? If you go to the "Artists" tab, it's going to be sorted alphabetically by default, and you can change to sorting by date created if desired. You can't perform any sorting beyond that right now. I'm a little confused as to which tab you are wanting to apply additional sorting rules - the artists tab or the songs tab? The fields assigned in the song are going to be listed in the order in which you specified them originally.

Thanks,
Mike
Just checking: Are you using the "ADVANCED SONG TITLE FORMATTING" method (page 18 in the manual) or are you just manually entering the artist etc in the name of the song?

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(01-28-2020, 02:59 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: Just checking: Are you using the "ADVANCED SONG TITLE FORMATTING" method (page 18 in the manual) or are you just manually entering the artist etc in the name of the song?

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff and Mike,

I should have left the two things separated. I just mentioned that I'm enriching the library title by the song ID. Yes, I do it by advanced formatting (p. 18f in the manual). No need to do it manually.

The other thing (and linked to it) is, that I decided to put not only the performing artists into the artists field, but to use it also for the name of the arranger (well, could have put it into the album field, though - but that's for different things: publishing units). I put the arrangers into brackets to just separate them from the performers. But I don't have any idea how to get them sorted in that row: "most important musician, less important musician, (Arr.: arranger)" if I'm using comma separated entries (tags) that can be checked and uncheck each from the artists list.

As far as I understood you, Mike, there is no way to sort those entries (not in the artists list, but in the subtitle - which I adapted by advanced formatting, too).

At the moment, one collection in my library looks as follows:

Hey Jude (Piano) [Nr. 2]
Beatles, (Arr. J. Berry) - - Pop Ballad
-----------------------------------------------
Downtown (Piano-Direktion) [Nr. 30]
(Arr. E. da Rold) - -
-----------------------------------------------
Can you feel the love tonight (Piano) [Nr. 33]
(Arr. J. Nowak), Film "König der Löwen" - - Very slow

where the entries are comma separated multiple values in one Artists field and the formatting is:
%TITLE% [Nr. %SONG_ID%]
%ARTISTS% - %ALBUMS% - %GENRES%

As you can see, I use the fields 'more or less' close to their intended use. So that I know a bit how to play an item when the band leader or someone else says: "That song inserted next, please!"

But that's not the point: I couldn't find a way to always have the arranger at the end, at least not by checking them last from the artists tag list. But as I said: It's not so important!

Besides: I hope, there will be no problem that I intend to use the song_ID for external references: That means, there will be a number 12 for my big band's repertoire, a number 12 for a song book I often use etc.: maybe one No. 12 in each collection in the end.

I appreciate your help! Thanks!

fziegler
It seems that composer and arranger in separate database fields could be a way to go. According to your description "Composers" and "Custom Group" are still unused in your scenario.
@Mike: more custom groups could help in a number of special cases (that's not a new request).
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Enough people seem to use "Arrangers" that I'm considering adding that as a dedicated group type along with the additional custom groups I plan on adding.

Mike
Yes please. Another very old request of mine. Also I'd still like you to consider a dedicated group for lyricist.
A number of custom groups that can be named as desired would make everybody happy. A minimum of effort with the most flexible result.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(01-29-2020, 02:26 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Enough people seem to use "Arrangers" that I'm considering adding that as a dedicated group type along with the additional custom groups I plan on adding.

Mike

Sounds great for my specific problem. But indeed, I could use a customs field. It's just the problem that I'm making music in very different contexts (school, parish, stage, group accompaniment) - and just starting with MSP, I didn't want to 'consume' one of the two customs fields, not knowing where I will need them most.

And by the way: I do use the composers field, but not necessarily for my bigband stuff.

Indeed, I won't sort by arrangers - just need them mentioned to anticipate the following style, along with "genre". So, I also could have added that sort of info there: "Latin (Arr. Jobim)".

Thank you all!