• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allowing the .DB file to reside elsewhere
I see that the actual database (.db file) remains buried deep in c:\Users even when another drive is selected as the storage area. As an old-schooler who was taught never to keep data in the boot drive (so that the OS can be wiped clean and re-installed--or accidentally trashed--without destroying important user data), I would appreciate the user being given the option to store all important data in the same storage folder as is selected for the "Library" itself. This would make standard backups of only my data drive fully effective in preserving my MobileSheets labors instead of requiring that I also back up parts of the Windows boot drive to be safe. I realize of course that I can use MobileSheets backup but that's a separate process I have to remember vs. the simple "back up all data."

Perhaps as a compromise, the user could be permitted to have MobileSheets automatically perform a backup to a pre-chosen location when exiting or (like in Quicken, for example) offering the suggestion every 3 exits with minimal thinking required to make it happen routinely.

Just got my Surface Pro 7 tablet and played my first few songs on Mobile Sheets and it's a gem!!! Thanks so much for not forcing me to Apple to have this functionality.

- Kevin
I cannot move the mobilesheets database file. The SQLite library does not support this due to UWP file permission restrictions. I can link to the github for the SQLite library if you'd like, as other developers have brought up this limitation as well, and addressing this is not a high priority for the SQLite team as there aren't that many UWP applications. 

I have considered adding an option to allow the database file to be copied to the storage location upon exiting the app (assuming a non-default location is used).  I'm not going to add a feature to create a full library backup upon exiting, as that can take hours with larger libraries. I may add a periodic prompt to remind users to create library backups though.

Mike
(03-03-2020, 02:16 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I cannot move the mobilesheets database file. The SQLite library does not support this due to UWP file permission restrictions. I can link to the github for the SQLite library if you'd like, as other developers have brought up this limitation as well, and addressing this is not a high priority for the SQLite team as there aren't that many UWP applications. 

I have considered adding an option to allow the database file to be copied to the storage location upon exiting the app (assuming a non-default location is used).  I'm not going to add a feature to create a full library backup upon exiting, as that can take hours with larger libraries. I may add a periodic prompt to remind users to create library backups though.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I realize this is my first experience with a UWP app and I'm just beginning to realize how many constraints are put on the developer as compared to a normal Windows application.

Does the .db file contain all the data that resides in the .PDFs in the library? IOW, if I have my library on my routinely backed-up data drive and I separately back up your .db file (via your backup routine), am I backing up almost twice the megabytes? I do understand that there's stuff in the User directories that is not in the "library" and therefore can only be backed up through your routine.
The database does not contain anything that resides in the PDFs and I don't store anything in PDFs right now. All annotations and data are stored in the database. The database is usually quite small. Backing up both the files and the database separately is the correct thing to do - you won't be backing up twice the megabytes.

Mike
I'll use this thread to once again suggest a backup option for the settings only (without the PDFs/Audio/other sources).

Either as option in the backup process or as a separate reg/ini/whatever which can be saved and loaded.

It has been a couple of times I restored or transfered MSP on other devices with copying the sources and the db which is easy. It took more effort to duplicate the settings (with touch and pedal settings, the title formats and many more) and not to forget something. So a backup option for the settings would be appreciated.