• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
interruption Windows 10 Notifications (& Cortana)
Just took a rest last night to load a PDF and play through the book using just swipes for page-turning (Surface Pro 7 portrait mode). At least 5 times over the course of my hour, the Win10 notifications window (which obscures the right 1/3 of the screen in portrait mode) opens and stops my playing while I figure out how to swipe it away. I recall when I first detached my type cover, Cortana opened that window and said something incomprehensible about "I'll keep this out of your way while you're in full-screen mode" but then gave me 2 choices, neither of which were clear. Did I choose the wrong one? I remember one of them (probably the one I chose) was "Turn this off now"--but that depends upon the meaning of the word "this!" I thought I was turning off "this" notifications window, but maybe I was turning off "this" Cortana assistance in not interrupting me? It did not give me the choice "Banish Cortana from my life--send her away forever!" Please help.
Google for "Disable Cortana"

The first post shows how to disable it easily but the 2nd (3rd?) post implies that this is longer possible and you have to use a registry hack to disable it (I didn't investigate further)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(03-08-2020, 03:21 AM)KHS Wrote: Just took a rest last night to load a PDF and play through the book using just swipes for page-turning (Surface Pro 7 portrait mode). At least 5 times over the course of my hour, the Win10 notifications window (which obscures the right 1/3 of the screen in portrait mode) opens and stops my playing while I figure out how to swipe it away. I recall when I first detached my type cover, Cortana opened that window and said something incomprehensible about "I'll keep this out of your way while you're in full-screen mode" but then gave me 2 choices, neither of which were clear. Did I choose the wrong one? I remember one of them (probably the one I chose) was "Turn this off now"--but that depends upon the meaning of the word "this!" I thought I was turning off "this" notifications window, but maybe I was turning off "this" Cortana assistance in not interrupting me? It did not give me the choice "Banish Cortana from my life--send her away forever!" Please help.
Brief addendum: It appears the problem is NOT automatic interruptions by Win10 Notifications, but instead accidentally opening it manually. I'm just getting used to Surface Pro 7 (which I bought almost exclusively to use MobileSheets). It appears that a leftward swipe that starts on the bezel (vs. the right end of the screen) will always open the Win10 Notifications window (and I'm not sure that can ever be turned off). So what's happening is I'm not disciplining myself to be careful about where I hurriedly swipe FROM in order to turn to the next page. Unfortunately, once it opens, it appears one cannot easily dismiss the window without swiping rightward, WHICH WILL TURN MSP's page one page back. If someone knows another way to dismiss the Notifications window without a swipe that will also be interpreted by MSP, I'm all ears.

Suggestion: Could the Win10 app know when the notifications screen is open and disable a leftward page turn until it disappears? I cannot imagine any reason why a user would want to turn the page backwards when they're already interrupted and frantically swiping right to get rid of the window, so I don't think any user would be hurt by it.
(03-08-2020, 03:43 AM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: Google for "Disable Cortana"

The first post shows how to disable it easily but the 2nd (3rd?) post implies that this is longer possible and you have to use a registry hack to disable it (I didn't investigate further)

Geoff
Thanks, Geoff. See my reply to myself. As I was following your strategy (before reading it), it suddenly occurred to me that Cortana (much as I hate her) was not the problem. My own swiping technique was calling forth the Notifications window deliberately, Cortana notwithstanding.
Unfortunately, no, MobileSheets is not notified when the notifications window is displayed so I would have no way of knowing when to disable the swipe. Instead of swiping right, swipe left from the right side of the screen again to dismiss the notifications window. You can do this for the other windows drag gestures as well (dragging down from the top, for example). 

Mike
(03-08-2020, 03:59 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Unfortunately, no, MobileSheets is not notified when the notifications window is displayed so I would have no way of knowing when to disable the swipe. Instead of swiping right, swipe left from the right side of the screen again to dismiss the notifications window. You can do this for the other windows drag gestures as well (dragging down from the top, for example). 

Mike
Wow! That works (although I would describe that as "from the right bevel" rather than "screen")! I'm glad you're a fellow Surface Pro user! Now I just need to remember that technique in the heat of performance! Just curious--although you can't apparently sense the status of the Notifications Window, can you determine whether a swipe came from off the screen (i.e. from the bezel)? I guess it wouldn't matter because you probably can't force Win10 NOT to open the Notification window when I've explicitly invoked it. Thanks again.