• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to add bookmarks to a setlist?
I'm still struggling with this program as I find that some operations are not for me intuitive.
I make a Collection then a Set List that contains single sheets and sheet music books.  Then from this setlist I make multiple bookmarks.
Now I want to select all these bookmarks to make a new setlist or to be able to play all these bookmarks in a performance.
How do I make this set of bookmarks into a performance?   
Ian
Samsung Galaxy S9 Ultra 14.6", 1TB, Android 13, AirTurn BT-105
I use the snippet tool [or csv file] to select each tune in a music book as it lists the each song in the main library, then make up the set list from the main library. I use 'albums' for the books and 'collections' for songs by subject such as; jam groups, vocals, fingerpick, flatpick, or other groupings.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
@Beemer

I don't think you can do what you are trying to do (I could be wrong!)

I suggest you just create another setlist for your performance (does anyone do these in the current crisis?) 
All your single sheet songs can go directly into this setlist (called "Gig" say); a song can be in more than one setlist.
For your song books, you need to create entries equivalent to those you had imported as single songs. You can do this by creating a snippet (press centre of screen and press the "filled triangle in a circle" (bottom left). You can then specify the name of the song and the page number(s) it occupies.
Having created this entry, you can add it to your "Gig" setlist.

If your songbooks contain many songs, the best way is to create a .csv file that contains entries for each song. Then remove the current songbook and re-import it together with its .csv file.
The result will be that you have a single physical file for the songbook but it will look as though you imported individual song files.
The format of the .csv file needs to be just right (search forum for other posts) so it is a good idea to get it working with just 2 entries (say). That way it is relatively easy to delete the bad entries and retry using a corrected .csv

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I now have read that the developer has already outlined the technical difficulty of making a setlist from bookmarks.  Making bookmarks from within a multi-page book to use in the same performance alongside single sheets is futile. I wonder if he ever thought of offering a "convert bookmarks to snippets" facility?
Ian
I was under the impression that bookmarks are there to allow you to jump around the file you are in i.e. not to different files.

Re a "convert bookmarks to snippets",I doubt anyone else apart from you would use it

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
The problem is that a bookmark doesn't currently define a range of pages - it only specifies a single page. So converting to a snippet would either mean using a single page for every bookmark, or defining the range of pages to be the number of pages between each bookmark present in the file (which seems like it would be incorrect most of the time).

I have considered making design changes to allow bookmarks to be used in setlists, but it would mean you always have to define a range of pages for the bookmark (essentially making the bookmark into a snippet), and I would have to update the group editor to allow either songs or bookmarks to be included (which is not a trivial thing). I also would need to update all of the setlist code (and every piece of code that uses setlists) to correctly handle an entry being a bookmark or a song (and a bookmark is linking to a song, so any action on the bookmark would be an action on the song). Once I have bandwidth, I will explore this more, but for now, creating snippets is the best way to go.

If you have a PDF which has PDF bookmarks in it already, you can use Import->CSV or PDF Bookmarks, pick the PDF and you will get a list of songs using the range of pages between each bookmark.

Mike
Smile 
(04-10-2020, 05:37 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The problem is that a bookmark doesn't currently define a range of pages - it only specifies a single page. So converting to a snippet would either mean using a single page for every bookmark, or defining the range of pages to be the number of pages between each bookmark present in the file (which seems like it would be incorrect most of the time).

I have considered making design changes to allow bookmarks to be used in setlists, but it would mean you always have to define a range of pages for the bookmark (essentially making the bookmark into a snippet), and I would have to update the group editor to allow either songs or bookmarks to be included (which is not a trivial thing). I also would need to update all of the setlist code (and every piece of code that uses setlists) to correctly handle an entry being a bookmark or a song (and a bookmark is linking to a song, so any action on the bookmark would be an action on the song). Once I have bandwidth, I will explore this more, but for now, creating snippets is the best way to go.

If you have a PDF which has PDF bookmarks in it already, you can use Import->CSV or PDF Bookmarks, pick the PDF and you will get a list of songs using the range of pages between each bookmark.

Mike

I see that another here feels I am must the only one to request such a feature but t
hanks for taking the time to explain the issue rather than a brush off.  Much of my sheet music, and that of others that posted, is within PDF books and I add single sheet songs to make a playlist.   I now realise that I will need to take time to extract the songs from the books and then add them to the library for adding to a MS setlist.  Of course I could do all that and combine them into a playlist PDF without using Mobilesheets   Big Grin ,
thanks again,
Ian   
You don't have to extract the songs from books or combine them into a separate PDF (although you can if you want to); just use a .csv file to specify the songs/pages they occupy. Then treat them as separate songs in setlist and/or collections.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(04-10-2020, 07:29 AM)Beemer Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 05:37 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The problem is that a bookmark doesn't currently define a range of pages - it only specifies a single page. So converting to a snippet would either mean using a single page for every bookmark, or defining the range of pages to be the number of pages between each bookmark present in the file (which seems like it would be incorrect most of the time).

Mike

I see that another here feels I am must the only one to request such a feature but t
hanks for taking the time to explain the issue rather than a brush off.  Much of my sheet music, and that of others that posted, is within PDF books and I add single sheet songs to make a playlist.   I now realise that I will need to take time to extract the songs from the books and then add them to the library for adding to a MS setlist.  Of course I could do all that and combine them into a playlist PDF without using Mobilesheets   Big Grin ,
thanks again,
Ian   
Hello Mike

Hope you had happy Easter and COVID-19 is not harming you too much!
Thank you for your guidance in this forum! - I'm very happy with your app MobileSheets Pro on my two google slate 12.3".
Newertheless I see a bit a point that could extend possibilities by large when it comes to operate with a setlist consisting of plenty of big pdf-files for one song containing different parts as for example we have this for our bigband. I imported 1427 pdf files in a library and draw some setlists out of it. - So, how to jump from my bari part in song A to my bari part in song B?
So far I see two solutions:
1) Bring all the big files together in a setlist and mark my part with a bookmark, address all songs over the bookmarks list in the respective file. - Quite some handwork during a gig...
2) Create for each song an excerpt using the snippet tool for my part and creat the setlist consisting of these excerpts. - Works, but double number of files, quite some work before the final setlist is available, but ok. (I know I can produce thes excerpts also during the import using CSV-table, but this asks also quite some work to address all the correct page numbers ...)

The question for me remains: Is there no way to use the pdf-bookmarks often exist from each pdf file over the whole setlist in an analogous way as link points? This would be very easy: I could jump from one song to the next just to the marked/or identified bookmark of the next song...?

Thank you for your consideration and feedback! - Kind regards, Alexander
Hello Alexander,

It was a quiet and uneventful Easter, which was great. I hope you had a happy Easter as well. 

If you bring up the bookmarks window while you have a setlist loaded, you can check both "Show All Songs" and "Show PDF Bookmarks". Then you should be able to jump to any bookmark in any song in your currently setlist. Can you not use this to achieve what you are asking for?

As an alternative, if you want to tap something and have it switch songs and load a specific page, take a look at smart buttons. You can drop a smart button on your page and link it to another song in the library, which will skip to the page number you specify in that song. That can be used to accomplish the same thing.

Mike
(04-14-2020, 06:35 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Hello Alexander,

It was a quiet and uneventful Easter, which was great. I hope you had a happy Easter as well. 

If you bring up the bookmarks window while you have a setlist loaded, you can check both "Show All Songs" and "Show PDF Bookmarks". Then you should be able to jump to any bookmark in any song in your currently setlist. Can you not use this to achieve what you are asking for?

As an alternative, if you want to tap something and have it switch songs and load a specific page, take a look at smart buttons. You can drop a smart button on your page and link it to another song in the library, which will skip to the page number you specify in that song. That can be used to accomplish the same thing.

Mike
Hello Mike - thank you for your instant feedback!

The solution using bookmarks is working but does not convince me using a pedal and wanting to continue instantly with one kick to the next song...

The smart button 'go to next song' does not allow to address a special page or the first bookmark of this song, the button 'load a song' is not confortable as you are not working in a setlist anymore...?

I guess smart button 'go to next song' with the option to the first bookmark or a special bookmark would be the best solution..?

Kind regards, Alexander
If you use a smart button to jump to a song that is in the setlist that is currently loaded, it should just skip to that song. So you would still be working in the setlist.

I'm not going to add an option to "Go to Next Song" that is also somehow tied to bookmarks, because I'm not even sure how you would configure that. A song can be used in multiple different setlists, so the "next song" isn't the same in every setlist, but smart buttons need to work in the song regardless of it is loaded by itself or in any setlist.

There is a pedal action for "Go to Next Bookmark" that you can look at. I don't think it works on PDF bookmarks, and it also won't jump between songs, but perhaps with a combination of "Go to Next Song" and "Go to Next Bookmark", you could get what you are looking for. If you enable "Settings->Import Settings->Convert PDF Bookmarks", then the PDF bookmarks will be turned into MobileSheets bookmarks, so you can then use them with the pedal action.

Mike
(04-16-2020, 04:41 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: If you use a smart button to jump to a song that is in the setlist that is currently loaded, it should just skip to that song. So you would still be working in the setlist.

I'm not going to add an option to "Go to Next Song" that is also somehow tied to bookmarks, because I'm not even sure how you would configure that. A song can be used in multiple different setlists, so the "next song" isn't the same in every setlist, but smart buttons need to work in the song regardless of it is loaded by itself or in any setlist.

There is a pedal action for "Go to Next Bookmark" that you can look at. I don't think it works on PDF bookmarks, and it also won't jump between songs, but perhaps with a combination of "Go to Next Song" and "Go to Next Bookmark", you could get what you are looking for. If you enable "Settings->Import Settings->Convert PDF Bookmarks", then the PDF bookmarks will be turned into MobileSheets bookmarks, so you can then use them with the pedal action.

Mike
Thank you very much for your explanations and showing me options. I will check out! 
Kind regards, Alexander