• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homemade bluetooth/wireless page turner pedal
Anyone else built one? I've been using mine for a few months now and it's great. 8 bucks for a wireless number keypad (bluetooth is very buggy on chromebook), some foam board, and superglue. I'm using two keys: one for up and one for down, and haven't needed to add more yet but easily could. Practicing many days a week and still on the original AAA battery.

John
You mean wireless in the sense of Wifi? Or via a proprietary RF connection (involving a receiver USB plug)?

Can you post some pictures?

Most tablets do not have standard USB ports...
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(05-18-2020, 04:51 PM)sciurius Wrote: You mean wireless in the sense of Wifi? Or via a proprietary RF connection (involving a receiver USB plug)?

Post header says Bluetooth page turner which is wireless.
Hacking keyboard something like this:
https://youtu.be/a3NxQ60E72k
But Bluetooth keyboard - no wire, no dongle.

Anyway I've great experience with Pixel Slate Chromebook tablet paid with Airturn 105.
In busy venues with lots of other Bluetooth devices it could take longer to find each other but otherwise it works flawlessly.
Poster also says: "8 bucks for a wireless number keypad (bluetooth is very buggy on chromebook)," giving the impression it is an alternative to bluetooth...
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
To me it sounds like John doesn't have great experience with his cheap keypad probably due to cheapest Bluetooth controller which is inside.
(05-18-2020, 04:51 PM)sciurius Wrote: You mean wireless in the sense of Wifi? Or via a proprietary RF connection (involving a receiver USB plug)?

yes sorry for the confusion. it's a low profile USB 2.4ghz WIFI dongle, not bluetooth (both are actually 2.4ghz). i first tried a bluetooth number pad but the connection was very unreliable on this Acer chromebook. Many people complain that bluetooth is garbage in ChromeOS. couple that with a cheap device and it's no surprise it had problems.
A caveat with any keyboard is that ChromeOS will not recognize numlock so the keypad will always be numbers, not arrows. thank God MSP is robust with key assignment!

[Image: -o9Zrkil_kdfZSkmcFkVj8mFfSrdi_APTPe-00A_...authuser=1]
[Image: P29gGoKGadW8st8YqBEIChyAMDpMTBa9tgPng9YN...authuser=1]

(05-19-2020, 12:34 AM)otnt Wrote:

Post header says Bluetooth page turner which is wireless.
Hacking keyboard something like this:
https://youtu.be/a3NxQ60E72k
But Bluetooth keyboard - no wire, no dongle.

Anyway I've great experience with Pixel Slate Chromebook tablet paid with Airturn 105.
In busy venues with lots of other Bluetooth devices it could take longer to find each other but otherwise it works flawlessly.

oh good you have a reliable bluetooth device working with ChromeOS. I was looking at a refurb Airturn 105 as well but thought I would give this a shot first and I'm content so far.
sorry pics fixed

[Image: pageturner-pedal-20200518-12034.jpg]
[Image: pageturner-pedal-20200518-114437.jpg]

tip: get a paperclip or two and pull the two loops apart a little. place it under the foam board and it'll give it a little more rebound, like a spring.
This is what I use and it works great.  Bluetooth connection.

https://youtu.be/mHP332XDJlg
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
(09-17-2020, 04:23 AM)palosanto Wrote: This is what I use and it works great.  Bluetooth connection.

https://youtu.be/mHP332XDJlg

Yes I believe that was my original inspiration! Of course his looks much cleaner than mine but I didn't expect my first prototype to last this long.

Glad to say that it's been another what, 4 months since posting and I've been using it almost every day with MSP without a problem. Same battery too!

Next steps:

1. build a stronger storage case for it so the buttons don't accidentally get pressed and drain the battery while in my backpack. I've been using the original cardboard box and storing it in my guitar case and it's pretty worn out now.

2. make some kind of elevated and heavy base or button modification so that it's easier for my foot to find (I often change sitting/standing positions while playing guitar)
UPDATE: so it's been about 18 months with this "prototype" and it's still working great! I use it almost everyday and travel with it 2x/week. I've dropped it and kicked it around a number of times. The batteries have been changed maybe once. I found a cardboard jewelry box that fits it perfectly. I still plan to add a little mass to it or rubber pad so it doesn't slide around so easily. I could add more functions but haven't had a need yet.

One minor thing that still worries me is the wireless dongle. Although it's low profile I worry that it may break off the laptop because I travel with it often.

I can easily just buy a commercial foot pedal but I haven't found one that I really like and works well with my chromebook.