• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beta testers needed for new annotations functionality
(10-22-2020, 06:48 AM)DonC Wrote: For anyone who might need them I am attaching svg files of up, down, left and right arrows.

Don

Thanks, great work!
Surface Pro 8, i5, Windows 11
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
I pushed out a build earlier today for Windows and Android. The build includes the following fixes and enhancements:

Changed some code to try and eliminate (or lessen) the issue where the last viewed page is shown momentarily after loading another song or setlist.
Fixed issue with mouse wheel not working in annotations mode
Added support for lines with rounded ends
Fixed additional memory leaks which should fix all of the stability issues and prevent black pages
Added code that identifies rare cases when a page is not being drawn correctly and automatically forces recreation of components to render the page properly. One example of this was the file preview could show up black in the song editor under certain circumstances - this has now been fixed
Fixed crash that would occur during an automatic save when annotations are written to the underlying PDF
Fixed issue with annotations not being saved correctly in the underlying PDF when rotation is involved
Fixed crash that could occur when returning from the file browser on the sync to cloud folder screen
Fixed issue where buttons/icons in the application would show a selection box around them that was the appropriate size (when hovering with a mouse), but would only respond to clicks directly on the icon. The buttons will now trigger properly if you click anywhere inside the box. This makes them much easier to tap.
The layers, stamp and favorite windows are now hidden and then shown back in the same position when exiting and entering the annotations editor. 
Fixed issues with the previous and next page arrows that can be enabled on the sides of the screen
Added support for triggering undo with the stylus side button. Also fixed using "Select" with the side stylus button
Added settings to control what two and three finger taps do. You can switch between different tools now with either gesture, as well as trigger undo or exit the annotations mode.
Right-clicking on an annotation will now switch to select mode and select it
Fixed code that should help with drawing precision when zoomed in a large amount (would like to hear feedback if this has fixed it for the users that reported issues)
The size of circles can now be controlled by moving in any direction (instead of just horizontally)
Crescendos and decrescendos can now be flipped and drawn in reverse (to create the opposite symbol).
Added asynchronous loading of the stamps in the stamp window. It should be much faster to open the stamp dropdown or popup now in the Windows 10 version, as it will display right away instead of waiting for every stamp to load first
Fixed bug in the song editor where it could show that it was possible to turn to the next page of the file being previewed when it was not (typically with chord pro files)
Fixed rendering of annotations in the file preview in the song editor
Fixed issue in the fields tab of the song editor where the fields would expand horizontally forever and push content off the screen instead of just reaching a maximum size and requiring the text to scroll
Fixed issue with triggering the favorites popup in the radial menu where it would always display the sub menu after (the one that should only be shown if the outer arrow is tapped)
Fixed issue where the edit bar would not be shown correctly in some scenarios when selecting a region with the snipping tool

I'm hoping this build works well for people. If it's stable and the beta testers are happy with it, I think it will be ready for release once the companion app and e-ink versions are updated.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike

Love the new transparant arrows for turning pages.

Still no syncing of visible active layer when switching pages in annotate mode ?
I'm not sure what you mean. If you edit a song and change the visibility on a layer, it will change the visibility for all pages of the song that have that same layer. If you want to toggle through all layers while viewing a song, you have to use a touch action for that.

Mike
Many nice things in this update, great work.

I have problems with the precision of the stylus, it seems somehow that the smoothing is very aggressive regardless of setting. When writing small figures it seems like it skips a lot of points, hard to explain. If you write small waves really slow you see the stylus tip not responding. I tried reinstalling old beta and the problem goes away. Maybe it has to do with the changing of the code for precision when zooming.

Love the new options for two and three finger tap. These are not suppose to work when stylus mode is enabled right?
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
Hey Mike,

Longtime user, would love to join in the beta testing and reporting if you're still looking. Two Windows 10 tablets in use here.
Sent you an email with instructions. Thanks!

Mike
I did some more testing now with this latest version. A few problems I encountered:

Stylus precision (as mentioned in earlier post).

When I change song the last page from previous song is shown and when new song is loaded and I hit "layers" button the layer from old song is present. Sometimes both the layer from old and new song is displayed in layer pop-up.

Sometimes annotations from one page is duplicated over to another page. This also have happened between different songs. The original annotation is still there but now also displays on a second place. I´m not sure how it´s copied there but I suspect it happens when I switch songs.

Black page is still present for me on some rare occasions. If I go into annotation mode and then back again the page displays fine again.

Some thumbnails of custom stamps are distorted. I think it is the ones that are in portrait mode. Se image.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Pageflip Firefly Pedal
I'm not sure there is much I can easily do about the stylus precision then. When fully zoomed in on my Surface Pro 4, it seems to work okay. I respond to all of the touch events that Microsoft's framework provides, but perhaps if the device is not rendering fast enough, it's causing touch events to be missed. I do decrease the rendering quality mode when zoomed in near the maximum amount to try and improve the responsiveness. Perhaps I'll need to see a short video clip to understand the severity of the problem.

As far as the layer issue, when using the vertical scrolling display mode, layers from multiple songs can be shown in the list. In the single display mode, only a single page's layers should be displayed at once. Are you seeing an issue where more layers are displayed than you would expect, or are layers being merged incorrectly in the list? I'm guessing the issue may be related to the change I made where the layer window is just hidden when exiting the annotations editor instead of being destroyed and recreated the next time it is accessed (so that its position is preserved).  If you are just turning pages between songs and this problem occurs (without entering or exiting the annotations mode), then the problem is not related to that.

I'll see if I can reproduce the duplicate annotations problem you described. Is this happening when editing annotations and turning pages, or when viewing the song normally?

I did fix a few more issues with black pages that will be included with the next build, but I'll keep my eye out for any other issues. Any recommendations on how to reproduce the problem you are seeing?

Can you provide one of the custom stamps that isn't rendering properly? 

Thanks,
Mike
(11-03-2020, 04:26 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm not sure there is much I can easily do about the stylus precision then. When fully zoomed in on my Surface Pro 4, it seems to work okay. I respond to all of the touch events that Microsoft's framework provides, but perhaps if the device is not rendering fast enough, it's causing touch events to be missed. I do decrease the rendering quality mode when zoomed in near the maximum amount to try and improve the responsiveness. Perhaps I'll need to see a short video clip to understand the severity of the problem.

It´s actually when fully zoomed out this occur. It just isn´t as precise as in last beta version. It is like it is smoothing what I draw after a lot even if I have minor smoothing set. When fully zoomed in it is much more accurate now than before, however on my surface the line is drawn slightly to the right of the stylus marker. I will try making a video of it.

(11-03-2020, 04:26 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: As far as the layer issue, when using the vertical scrolling display mode, layers from multiple songs can be shown in the list. In the single display mode, only a single page's layers should be displayed at once. Are you seeing an issue where more layers are displayed than you would expect, or are layers being merged incorrectly in the list? I'm guessing the issue may be related to the change I made where the layer window is just hidden when exiting the annotations editor instead of being destroyed and recreated the next time it is accessed (so that its position is preserved).  If you are just turning pages between songs and this problem occurs (without entering or exiting the annotations mode), then the problem is not related to that.
It is after I close a song and open another one, the layer from previous song stays in the window. I found out that changing page with the layer window open will change to the correct layer.

(11-03-2020, 04:26 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'll see if I can reproduce the duplicate annotations problem you described. Is this happening when editing annotations and turning pages, or when viewing the song normally?

I have no clue actually. I usually discover these duplicate annotations when viewing

(11-03-2020, 04:26 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Can you provide one of the custom stamps that isn't rendering properly? 

Thanks,
Mike

I will send you stamps together with video then.
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
So I've fixed the issues with the custom stamps, the layers window, and I also fixed the issue with the stylus precision I believe. I am still unable to reproduce black pages, and or duplicate annotations. If you can send me an exported setlist (exported as a .msf file) that helps reproduce that problem along with some basic instructions for what you did to see that problem, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
Mike
After trying the latest comments, I really appreciate the fixes and improvements. Particularly:
- I like the option to use a stylus button for undo. I'll use that a lot.
- The reversible hairpins are nice. I can save space in my favourites by saving only one, but can still get either direction.

After trying the latest build, here are some issues:
- When using the Tap eraser to erase a pen or highlighter line, the line is deleted when the eraser circle is still quite far from the line. This is especially noticeable when the line is thick, as it seems proportional to line thickness. 
- If I tap with the pen or highlighter instead of dragging, I get a dot with a darker dot in the middle, which is somewhat larger than the normal line thickness. This seems like it could be a feature, but I'm not sure. Strangely, when erasing these dots with the tap eraser, the distance at which the dot is erased is correct, unlike with a line.
- When saving a pen or highlighter as a favourite, the smoothing amount is always saved as Moderate.
- When drawing with the highlighter, if the first stroke is made dashed, changing the line to solid has no effect (and vice-versa). 
- Using Select on my stylus button sometimes doesn't work. Holding the button and tapping an annotation only selects it while the stylus is pressed, and it's immediately deselected when the stylus is lifted. Strangely, this seem to happen whenever there's a hairpin anywhere on the page, but if there are no hairpins, it works as expected.

Also, I tried out the drawing precision when fully zoomed in. It's much improved. I would say it's pretty usable as it is, though it is noticeably less precise than other drawing apps I've used (Sketchable and Concepts, which is also vector-based). You can still notice that points are not drawn until you move some distance, which makes it feel less responsive. In most cases this isn't so bad, but if you draw anything where you change direction (any letters with peaks, like w, m, etc), the peaks are lost (I guess if you move forward then back without moving far enough to trigger a new keypoint, the line isn't drawn as far as the pen moved). This makes text look less defined than it should. I wouldn't call it a bug or anything, but there could be room for polish if you have time some day.

Overall a lot of great improvements!
Thank you for the feedback Martin. I pushed out a new build to address those issues. I also made a few changes to the precision again - let me know if it's any better. 

Thanks,
Mike
(11-04-2020, 05:03 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: So I've fixed the issues with the custom stamps, the layers window, and I also fixed the issue with the stylus precision I believe. I am still unable to reproduce black pages, and or duplicate annotations. If you can send me an exported setlist (exported as a .msf file) that helps reproduce that problem along with some basic instructions for what you did to see that problem, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,
Mike

Fantastic, precision is perfect with stylus now, when fully zoomed in the line is drawn a bit to the right of the pointer, a bit more in portrait mode.

Stamps, layers all work fine now.

I will see if I get any black pages and duplicate annotations within a couple of days and see if I can reproduce it,
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
Stylus precision feels better now. I can't notice any artifacts or delay (unless I'm specifically trying to see it), so it's really good.

I do still notice that some peaks or sharp points are being smoothed out of my strokes, though. But now that the drawing behaviour is so precise, it's clear that it's the smoothing that causes this (even when set to 'minor'). It's sharp while drawing, but after lifting the stylus, the peaks smooth out a bit. I assume it's using b-splines or something, so it's natural that that will happen. But it makes we wonder if the drawing precision is already very good, maybe an option to have no smoothing at all (just straight line between key points) would be useful. Again, this is nitpicking because I'm really happy with the behaviour, but it could be a thought for the future.

Otherwise all the other issues I reported seem to be fixed. Thanks!