• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chromebook connection?
Newbie here trying to connect
1) Windows 10 PC Companion
2) Chromebook instance of MobileSheets Pro.

Is this not possible? 
I've tried Wifi and USB to get the programs to recognize each other to no avail. Firewall is off, drivers are updated.
Thanks in advance for help/clarification!
===
Steve Chisnell
Waterford, MI
@schisnell
You need to use WiFi, and then in the companion app, you need to use Connection->Manual WiFi Connect. The IP address you need to type in is not the one shown on the sync screen in MobileSheetsPro. ChromeOS runs in a sandboxed environment that does not give applications direct access to the network. The IP address you need to enter can be found by tapping the bottom right of the status bar on the home screen of the Chromebook and then tap on the information symbol for your WiFi connection to see what the actual IP address is. It should match the subnet of your PC (i.e. is your PC is 192.168.1.110, then you would expect the tablet to be something like 192.168.1.111).

Mike
(07-27-2020, 11:25 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: You need to use WiFi, and then in the companion app, you need to use Connection->Manual WiFi Connect. The IP address you need to type in is not the one shown on the sync screen in MobileSheetsPro. ChromeOS runs in a sandboxed environment that does not give applications direct access to the network. The IP address you need to enter can be found by tapping the bottom right of the status bar on the home screen of the Chromebook and then tap on the information symbol for your WiFi connection to see what the actual IP address is. It should match the subnet of your PC (i.e. is your PC is 192.168.1.110, then you would expect the tablet to be something like 192.168.1.111).

Mike

Thanks.  However, I did follow these procedures, Mike, which made me suspicious it was an OS issue. I typed in the IP address from the Chromebook and let it cycle through 4x. I disconnected WiFi and reconnected.  I rebooted systems. In short, I've followed all of the directions offered. 

Is there anything you can think of that is not provided in the Help/How-To files?
Thanks.
===
Steve Chisnell
Waterford, MI
@schisnell
FWIW, check 'Sharing' on your PC settings.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Skip,

Thanks!  I thought that might have been it, because indeed, most of the Sharing settings were turned off! 
However, engaging universal access to all devices and running through the same options above has also not connected.  Hmm.

Steve
===
Steve Chisnell
Waterford, MI
@schisnell
Have you tried these steps yet?:

1) On the Windows 10 device running the companion application, go to the settings for your current network. One way of doing this is clicking the network icon in the taskbar at the bottom right corner, then click on "Change connection properties", and on the dialog showing the network settings for your current network, click "Private". If "Public" is selected, it can cause packets to be blocked
2) Next, go to Windows Firewall, click "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall" and make sure both private and public are checked for MobileSheetsPro Companion
3) If you still can't connect to your Android device after performing steps #1 and #2, then if you have anti-virus or firewall software running, you should try disabling them to see if they are interfering with the connection.
4) The last thing you should try is rebooting your router. This fixes connection problems frequently for users

I posted those on the forums on an earlier post about connectivity issues, so I just want to make sure you've already tried all that.

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks for all of your quick help and suggestions.

Unfortunately, I'm still not seeing a connection made. (Neither is USB working, which is making me suspicious...)
--Moved network to Private setting. 
--Shut down firewall (McAfee) while attempting connections.
--Rebooted router
--Then tried all of the shutdowns and restarts of wifi and programs. 

It's really odd. I can certainly use the program just through the Chromebook (my main goal), but I was imagining working on the indexing, tags, and such through the desktop.
===
Steve Chisnell
Waterford, MI
@schisnell
Just for reference, what is the IP address of your PC and what is the IP address of your chromebook that you are connecting to? On the chromebook, are you on the stable channel or the beta channel? I might recommend using the beta channel, as it will give you a ton of fixes for Android that are valuable when using MobileSheetsPro.

Mike
(07-29-2020, 07:39 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Just for reference, what is the IP address of your PC and what is the IP address of your chromebook that you are connecting to? On the chromebook, are you on the stable channel or the beta channel? I might recommend using the beta channel, as it will give you a ton of fixes for Android that are valuable when using MobileSheetsPro.

Mike

Mike,

Just switched to Beta channel.  No effect.
IP for Chromebook: 100.115.92.10   For Desktop with Companion: 169.254.216.177/16
===
Steve Chisnell
Waterford, MI
@schisnell
Those two IP addresses are on different subnets. That is not going to work. As I mentioned, you have to locate the actual IP address of the chromebook, not the IP address behind the firewall/sandbox. You need to find the IP address following directions such as these: http://chromespot.com/2013/12/02/how-to-...p-address/

These are the basic instructions:

To find the MAC or IP address:

If you haven't yet, sign in to your Chromebook.
At the bottom right, select the time.
Select the Wi-Fi network .
At the top of the box, select Information .
You'll see your Chromebook's IP address and IPv6 address. Your MAC address is labeled "Wi-Fi."

Once you get the correct IP address, it should be a 169.254.216.X address like your desktop. If you are using a multiple router setup, that is going to be a problem as it will add a significant amount of complexity in the message routing.

Mike
Mike,

Again, thank you for walking me through this and helping resolve it.

I'm not finding an IP for the Chromebook that makes sense like that.
I don't have multiple routers, just the one Gateway that I recently upgraded to via XFinity.
Both the Gateway and the Chromebook list this:
  • IP:  10.0.0.57
  • IPv6: 2601:40e:8101:2b40:c434:eb19:5758:7224
The Gateway has a Subnet Mask, though, of 255.255.etc
I see no way through my Gateway app to see through that mask or find any 169.### IPs.
===
Steve Chisnell
Waterford, MI
@schisnell
Just sent you an email with some pictures.

Mike
Thank you, Mike, for all your attention via email!
Since my router, etc. were conspiratorially determined to mask my IP addresses, I was able to solve the problem by your suggestion by connecting through my phone's mobile hotspot. That revealed the IP addresses and so let me connect.

Case closed!
===
Steve Chisnell
Waterford, MI
@schisnell