• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
black pages
Running MobileSheets 3.0.0 on Microsoft Surface Pro 7 with Windows 10, OS build 18363.1256
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-1035G4 CPU @ 1.10GHz, 1498 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed physical memory: 8 GB
After the update to 3.0.0 MobileSheets started displaying blank pages – all black -- every third or fourth page, as well as showing only a blank page with the annotation rotator at the start. Sometimes it was random. This behavior happened with foot pedal or a finger or keyboard press.
I read as many forum messages as I could find from Surface Pro users.
In this post:
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...ack+screen
I read that the user found that the language was a possible issue. I checked my language under Display Settings. It was set to System Default. I changed it to English. The problem disappeared for the file I was reading. I changed the language to German and then to English. It seemed like the problem disappeared.
But the problem recurred when I loaded another file that was in the library, whether I had ever read it before or not. I quickly went back to Display Settings, changed the language to German, and then to English, and the problem went away again.
This is odd behavior that I never saw before the upgrade. I will plan to always change the language to German and then to English before I start playing from a file, so that I am not faced with a blank page.
Based on this message:
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...p?tid=6436
I checked the memory usage for MobileSheets in the Task Manager, and it is really minimal. I am not running any other program at the same time, and the background programs are not using too much memory.
As of now, whether a file is cropped or not cropped doesn’t seem to matter, but I will continue to test that issue.
I am happy to test anything you suggest, as I assume you do not have a Surface Pro.
I have a Surface Pro 4, but I'm not really seeing that issue while going through songs and setlists. Having said that, I've been working with all of my latest changes. I submitted version 3.0.2 to Microsoft overnight, and I'm just waiting for it be approved. I'll work with you once the update is released to see if the issue continues on your device. If you continue to see any black pages with version 3.0.2, I'll make that the highest priority of course.

Thanks,
Mike
I am having the same issue while running Windows 10 on an MS Surface Book 3. Had no issues until the update and I also use directives (EX: {cb:} or {highlight} to add boxes and highlighted and had to remove them and when I did I noticed I will get blank pages in my setlists. Sometimes it will show a random chorus in the top right of the page and sometimes it will be completely blank. Is it possible to back out the vs 3 updates because I desperately need to use this app for my performances and right now it is unusable?
It's only possible to revert to 2.9.6 if you have a library backup from version 2.9.6. Otherwise the database cannot be downgraded. If you have a backup file and want to go through the process to downgrade, contact me at mike@zubersoft.com, as I'll have to walk you through the process. Alternatively, the 3.0.2 update will be available Monday, or Tuesday at the latest (as soon as Microsoft approves it). I do apologize for the disruption to your work due to the update. The FastSpring version of MobileSheets has already been updated to version 3.0.2. So another option is to transfer you to that version so you don't have to wait for Microsoft's update. You can just backup your data in the current version and restore in the other, or just move the files from one folder to another. Let me know what you would like to do.

Mike
During the beta test I had similar problems on my Win10 tablet, but it happened so seldom I was never able to find a way to reproduce it or provoke it.
In my case it always happened when using display mode "half page". 
Going to display mode "single page" the black pages were correctly displayed. 
Then I could go back to half page and all was OK.
To me it looks like a problem when loading pages in half page mode, but as I have never found a way to provoke it and it has been very seldom, Mike is really poking around in the dark.
If you can find a way to provoke the black pages happening so Mike can really test, that would be very welcome.
Don
Il ne faut pas rouler vite... il faut freiner tard
I think I've found a way to reproduce it, at least on my surface pro 4. If I'm viewing a song, then tap I tap the pencil icon in the overlay to edit the song, then I tap the overflow menu and then "Save and edit next song", then tap "Save" to exit and resume viewing the song, the next page appears to be black. I'm still investigating to see what the cause of this issue is. It's most likely some kind of problem with the Win2D library I'm using and the way in which I'm utilizing it. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this quickly and implement some more fixes for it.

Mike
I had this problem in Beta on rare occasions, and couldn´t find out how to reproduce it. Haven´t seen this in this version yet though. For me restarting mobilesheets always worked. I don´t get black page reproducing as you did Mike.
Surface Pro 8, i5, Windows 11
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
I no longer can reproduce the black page issue using that test I was doing previously either. I also updated the Win2D library to the latest, so I'm not sure if that's also playing a part.
Today I got some black screens again. In this particular pdf it appears AFTER I enter annotaition mode and then TURN pages with annotation overlay still active. When I close/save annotations some pages are black. If I enter annotation mode again and then close WITHOUT turning pages the black screen renders correctly again. Very stranger indeed, not sure if this helps you at all.

Edit:

I just updated to 3.0.0.2 in windows store and I still see the black page.
I will try on my old Surface 4 tomorrow and see if it happens there as well.

Again:

I can verify this happens on my Surface 4 too exactly the same way.
Want me to send this .msf so you can investigate Mike?
Surface Pro 8, i5, Windows 11
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
I've also still been able to make pages to black fairly easily. It always results from doing lots of zooming and going and out of annotation mode. Since 3.0.2, it seems to go black more in reading mode than annotation mode. Surface Book 3, 15', 16gb ram
Are either of you forcing the single page display mode in the annotations settings? If not, which display modes are you both using? Lastly, are either of you saving annotations to the PDF itself in the annotations settings? Or are you using the default settings which saves the annotations to the MobileSheets database (recommended)?

I've found some more ways to reproduce the issue - zooming and panning a lot with the vertical scrolling display mode and page through a setlist seems to eventually work for me, so I'm trying to see if I can figure out the root cause of the issue.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-09-2021, 09:59 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Are either of you forcing the single page display mode in the annotations settings? If not, which display modes are you both using? Lastly, are either of you saving annotations to the PDF itself in the annotations settings? Or are you using the default settings which saves the annotations to the MobileSheets database (recommended)?

I've found some more ways to reproduce the issue - zooming and panning a lot with the vertical scrolling display mode and page through a setlist seems to eventually work for me, so I'm trying to see if I can figure out the root cause of the issue.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I use MobileSheets almost exclusively in portrait mode. I currently am not using single-page mode (I have it so it shows a sliver of the previous page at the top). I do not have it set to store annotations in the PDF.

I actually can't find the last settings that you're referring to, so please let me know where that option is. I'm sure it's right under my nose, but it's eluding me right now!

Let me know whatever else you need

-Harry
Surface Book 3 15"
Donner Page Turning Pedal
(01-03-2021, 07:16 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: It's only possible to revert to 2.9.6 if you have a library backup from version 2.9.6. Otherwise the database cannot be downgraded. If you have a backup file and want to go through the process to downgrade, contact me at mike@zubersoft.com, as I'll have to walk you through the process. Alternatively, the 3.0.2 update will be available Monday, or Tuesday at the latest (as soon as Microsoft approves it). I do apologize for the disruption to your work due to the update. The FastSpring version of MobileSheets has already been updated to version 3.0.2. So another option is to transfer you to that version so you don't have to wait for Microsoft's update. You can just backup your data in the current version and restore in the other, or just move the files from one folder to another. Let me know what you would like to do.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for all your help. The new update 3.02 has resolved the issues I was having. Really enjoy using the mobilesheets.
Chan
I have additional changes coming to completely prevent the possibility of black pages, just in case you or anyone else encounters one. It may come with a slight performance penalty (I'm still testing to understand how much of a penalty, if any), but stability is more important.
I am experiencing the black pages thing too except it is when I attempt to open a rather large PDF (16 MB) from the Songs List. This particular PDF has some internal links and bookmarks I added to it via Acrobat.

FWIW – This is the ONLY PDF I have in my library with links & bookmarks.

It is very random however, I can make it happen all the time on the first attempt to open that file, immediately after restarting MobileSheets.

I tried the same thing with some other PDF’s in my library and it only seems to happen with this particular PDF file.

Other pertinent info:

MobileSheets 3.02
Microsoft Surface Book 2
Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.685)