• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pen annotation problems with 3.0.0 release
I just started using 3.0.0.
In previous releases, writing with a pen on a sheet was very 'fluid'. I could easily write cursively (smooth, tight curves) on the sheet.
With 3.0.0 the writing becomes very 'blocky', missing many of curves drawn with the pen. Almost like the digitization is now much coarser.
I changed batteries in my pen, but no difference. Nothing else on my Surface has changed (that I know of).
Anyone else see this issue?
thx
Surface 4, 4GB
TuneLab
Can you try opening the pen dropdown and switching the smoothing to "Minor" or "None" and see if that helps? I want to identify if this is an issue with the smoothing algorithm you are seeing versus some kind of input issue with the stylus. The smoothing set to "minor" or "none" basically mimics the old model, which uses far more points and requires more data for each drawing in the database. It is also less performant, but if it gives you more accuracy, that may be worth it.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-07-2021, 06:59 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Can you try opening the pen dropdown and switching the smoothing to "Minor" or "None" and see if that helps? I want to identify if this is an issue with the smoothing algorithm you are seeing versus some kind of input issue with the stylus. The smoothing set to "minor" or "none" basically mimics the old model, which uses far more points and requires more data for each drawing in the database. It is also less performant, but if it gives you more accuracy, that may be worth it.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks, Mike. I switched smoothing to "none" and the writing acts like the previous release.
Rod
Surface 4, 4GB
TuneLab
(01-08-2021, 01:06 PM)rrrpiano Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 06:59 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Can you try opening the pen dropdown and switching the smoothing to "Minor" or "None" and see if that helps? I want to identify if this is an issue with the smoothing algorithm you are seeing versus some kind of input issue with the stylus. The smoothing set to "minor" or "none" basically mimics the old model, which uses far more points and requires more data for each drawing in the database. It is also less performant, but if it gives you more accuracy, that may be worth it.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks, Mike. I switched smoothing to "none" and the writing acts like the previous release.
Rod

Hi Mike,
After more use I'm still seeing smoothing problems. For example, when I draw an "M" it usually ends up looking like a "~". Definitely can't draw letters and numbers with sharp corners (M, P, R, etc). They end up looking 'mushy', if that makes sense.
I have scrolling set to "none".
I should note that the amount of 'mushiness' of the writing
seems to vary from time to time...sometimes not so bad, sometimes very
bad. It might be related to the loading on my machine, but I make sure
that I don't have anything else running (that I'm aware of) when I
run MSP.
Something is definitely different from the previous release.
Any other thoughts?
thanks again,
Rod
Surface 4, 4GB
TuneLab
If you zoom in near the maximum amount, you will see sluggishness with the response of the stylus. If you zoom out, it should respond normally again. I have a fix coming for that issue. If you have smoothing set to "None", and you draw an M and it's changing shape significantly, I definitely can't explain that. It would be great to see a quick video or screen capture of that, as I'm not seeing it on any of my devices.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-13-2021, 06:03 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: If you zoom in near the maximum amount, you will see sluggishness with the response of the stylus. If you zoom out, it should respond normally again. I have a fix coming for that issue. If you have smoothing set to "None", and you draw an M and it's changing shape significantly, I definitely can't explain that. It would be great to see a quick video or screen capture of that, as I'm not seeing it on any of my devices.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm trying to upload a video clip (55MB mp4 file). But I get a message "You can upload a maximum of 8.39 bytes at once" (I attached a screen shot of this message).
That seems like a weird message. The attached error msg screen shot is 165kB.
??

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Surface 4, 4GB
TuneLab
You could only attach small Files here in the Forum. If you want to share a Video file you have to use a file sharing Service or Dropbox or Google drive or something like that und Post the Link to the file here.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
(01-14-2021, 04:48 PM)McAroni Wrote: You could only attach small Files here in the Forum. If you want to share a Video file you have to use a file sharing Service or Dropbox or Google drive or something like that und Post the Link to the file here.

Thanks McAroni
Surface 4, 4GB
TuneLab
(01-13-2021, 06:03 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: If you zoom in near the maximum amount, you will see sluggishness with the response of the stylus. If you zoom out, it should respond normally again. I have a fix coming for that issue. If you have smoothing set to "None", and you draw an M and it's changing shape significantly, I definitely can't explain that. It would be great to see a quick video or screen capture of that, as I'm not seeing it on any of my devices.

Thanks,
Mike

Here's a video clip (link below). This is typical of the problem I see.
I draw a bunch of small ‘m’s, some ‘a’s, then more ‘m’s.
The smaller I draw the letters, the worse the smoothing problem.
As the pen writes it looks like it is skipping some of the points, then it interpolates between the missed points (I guess that’s the smoothing function). But much worse with smaller letters. Note the large ‘A’ has no problem at all.
I didn't see this problem on the previous release. In the previous release, drawing letters was very fluid, even with small letters. Always seemed to write exactly what I drew. Something has changed from the last release.
thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VqykmBl...sp=sharing
Surface 4, 4GB
TuneLab
Can you give me access to the file? I see something similar and I just wanna check if it is the same thing.
Surface Pro 8, i5, Windows 11
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
(01-15-2021, 10:12 PM)Cmart Wrote: Can you give me access to the file? I see something similar and I just wanna check if it is the same thing.

done
Surface 4, 4GB
TuneLab
I get the same issue, but only when zooming in
Surface Book 3 15"
Donner Page Turning Pedal
Yeah it's the same too bad you don't see the pointer of the pen in the video, onscreen you see clearly that the line drawn in not following the pointer somehow. For me the number 3 is most problematic to write. It's more obvious when writing small and trying to be really precise.
Surface Pro 8, i5, Windows 11
Pageflip Firefly Pedal
Here's a better video of the problem, showing the pen.
The circles start large, but as they get smaller it is clear that the drawing does not follow the pen well. It appears to drop some of the pen motions and smooths a 'circle' into a squiggle. Hope this makes it clearer.
A workaround would be to only use 'large' letters/numbers/drawings...but that is not ideal.
thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sUgB6xM...sp=sharing
Surface 4, 4GB
TuneLab
With my latest build, I can draw the shapes that you were doing in your video cleanly, and it follows my stylus perfectly. So hopefully you'll have the same experience with the next update.

Mike