• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setlist, use same pdf muiltiple times start/end on different places
Dear all,

I'm preparing a setlist from the piano part of a musical containing many songs.
I wrote did quite some annotations in the songs, so I do not want to change the original pdf anymore. Previous experience is that, if I do that, all annotations are lost or wrong.
Now the director comes with a few new pages that I should insert in the book.
To do this I would like to create a setlist using the same pdf multiple times, but different pages, e.g.
book.pdf (p. 1 -12)
New page from director
book.pdf (p. 14-45)
New page
etc.

Is something like that possible?

cheers,
Joop
Not sure about physically insering pages into the pdf, but using different page ranges from one pdf as different songs in one setlist is possible.
Just copy the song containing the large pdf to a new song, then go to the files tab of that new song and specify the pages to be used for that song in the page order field at the bottom of the screen. They can be entered as a range (3-5) or as a page list (3,4,5). Annotations should be preserved
Then add that new song to the setlist

Good luck
Rudy
(09-02-2023, 04:24 PM)Rey_a Wrote: Not sure about physically insering pages into the pdf, but using different page ranges from one pdf as different songs in one setlist is possible.
Just copy the song containing the large pdf to a new song, then go to the files tab of that new song and specify the pages to be used for that song in the page order field at the bottom of the screen. They can be entered as a range (3-5) or as a page list (3,4,5). Annotations should be preserved
Then add that new song to the setlist

Good luck
Rudy
I did think about that also, but it is a unelegant method. I would not like to make e.g. 10 copies of a 100 MB file. Isn't there a better way? It should be possible to set in the setlist what pages are used,
Joop
@Zubersoft:
is there really not a better way to do this?
regards,
JOop
When you copy a song, the actual file(s) containing the notes/music scores (100 MB in your example) will not be copied. MobileSheets will use (refer to) the same pdf file(s) in the copied song as in the source song ...
The next major update includes a rework of the page ordering dialog and new PDF editing features. Included with that is the ability to add blank pages in documents, merging files into one PDF, and the ability to insert a PDF after a given page. The new page order screen will include thumbnails of every page that can be reordered, making it easier to preview what it will look like. In the meantime, you can certainly add the same PDF multiple times to one song. So you currently have your PDF, change the page order to 1-12, add the new page, add the same PDF again (you will get a conflict warning, just choose the option to use the existing file), change the page order to 14-45, then add the new page at the end. This would prevent the need to set up a setlist with multiple different songs. However, if you prefer to use a setlist with multiple different songs, you can copy the song, and both copies will use the same PDF. You can then just change the page order for each copy of the song to include the pages you want. So you'd have four songs based on your description.

Mike
(09-02-2023, 06:13 PM)Rey_a Wrote: When you copy a song, the actual file(s) containing the notes/music scores (100 MB in your example) will not be copied. MobileSheets will use (refer to) the same pdf file(s) in the copied song as in the source song ...

Ok, that makes some difference. But still I would end up with multiple copies of the same song that will cause confusion with having the annotations in the wrong copy etc. It may work but it would be much better to have the same song multiple times in the setlist, starting on a different page. Something to thiink about in the future?

Joop
(09-03-2023, 01:30 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The next major update includes a rework of the page ordering dialog and new PDF editing features. Included with that is the ability to add blank pages in documents, merging files into one PDF, and the ability to insert a PDF after a given page. The new page order screen will include thumbnails of every page that can be reordered, making it easier to preview what it will look like. In the meantime, you can certainly add the same PDF multiple times to one song. So you currently have your PDF, change the page order to 1-12, add the new page, add the same PDF again (you will get a conflict warning, just choose the option to use the existing file), change the page order to 14-45, then add the new page at the end. This would prevent the need to set up a setlist with multiple different songs. However, if you prefer to use a setlist with multiple different songs, you can copy the song, and both copies will use the same PDF. You can then just change the page order for each copy of the song to include the pages you want. So you'd have four songs based on your description.

Mike

Hi Mike,
thanks for this reply, this actually is what I was looking for. I'm going to try it out!
The rework sounds good! Especially the ability to add extra pdf's, this often would be very helpful!
thanks,
Joop