• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CSV and PDF's
I am a new user to the Windows 10 version of Mobile Sheets.

I have hundreds of pdf's (each pdf file is a single song; I don't need to "split"). I can easily import all songs separately. After importing the songs, I want to add information about each song.
As an alternative to inputting infomation (or fields) for each song, I would like to create a csv file with the fields I want to include.  Is that possible? Huh Is there a way for Mobile Sheets to know how to associate one line of csv data to a specific pdf file?

Thanks.

Linda
Hello Linda,

At the moment, CSV files can't specify the PDF to use for each song that is created. This is something I'm going to support at some point, but at the moment, when CSV import is used, it is tied to a single PDF (as the intent is to break up one large PDF).

Mike
(01-19-2021, 05:46 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Hello Linda,

At the moment, CSV files can't specify the PDF to use for each song that is created. This is something I'm going to support at some point, but at the moment, when CSV import is used, it is tied to a single PDF (as the intent is to break up one large PDF).

Mike

Thanks for rapid response!   

Would this be an option I could consider:  Can I merge many pdf files together into one large file, and create one CSV file?  I ask because I see many csv examples where the song name (title) is the first field.  Does Mobile Sheets "know" each "title" is one song?

Linda
You can certainly do that. Each line of the CSV file will correspond to a single song, and you must provide a title and page order for each song (at a bare minimum). 

Mike
The layout of the CSV file is pernickety - before combining all the files into one pdf, I suggest you experiment with a small merged pdf file (3 songs say) so you can work out what you want/need to put in the big pdf.

One disadvantage of a combining the pdfs is that it makes it more difficult to replace individual songs e.g.
  • Does one recombine all the pdfs, erase all the songs and reimport ?(what about any annotations, link points etc  you have made anywhere in the combined pdf)
  • Remove the song from the big pdf and import a separate single song pdf to replace it? Again possibly losing annotation for the song (but not affecting the other songs) . Note: you can export the affected pdf complete with annotations for reworking.
  • Having all the songs in one pdf means that, if the file gets damaged, you might lose lots of annotations, cropping, page settings link points etc.
Obviously, some of this can be mitigated if you make regular backups of the database.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
CSV is meant as a tool for tagging all songs in a fakebook so that they are available to be imported into MSP.
If the usage of CSV files is the only reason why you want to combine your PDFs I would not recommend doing it.
You can import your single song PDFs into MSP and enter your meta data conveniently there. Take a look at MSPs multi select features, they can be helpful. Organizing your files in subfolders and the songs in collections, albums and setlists within MSP can be handled conveniently also with one song per PDF. Lists of songs and their meta data can be exported out of MSP.
If you plan to combine your PDFs for other reasons, e.g. for creating a kind of a fakebook to be shared as a whole I recommend creating a matchng CSV for every combined PDF during the combination process.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I created a csv to import several songs (into one pdf file).  

First, I imported the 10-song single pdf file (with several fields including tile and page numbers)
Then I imported the csv file, and that worked (I think.)

I now see in my MobileSheets app (on my Windows 10 computer) the tab "Songs (0/10)".   So, I think all 10 songs are somewhere in MobileSheets. But how do I see them? Huh

Linda
It sounds like a filter is active. Tap the X at the far right side of the filters bar to clear all filters so you can see all the songs.
Another user for my proposal ;-)
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...p?tid=7041