• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Instrument fingering schemes on the score
Hello,
I wonder what would be the best way to add fingering schemes to some notes on my sheet music. I play the bassoon and sometimes it would be very useful to add a small fingering scheme to some difficult notes. 
I found a true type font (ttf) of all kinds of instrument-fingerings: bassoon, clarinet, ... Could this ttf be used within mobilesheetsPro (android) e.g. as a stamp? As simple text? Any other tips? 
It would be nice if such a scheme could be invoked with some kind of shortcut.
Thanks for the tips!
Geert Van Loo

PS: I found the ttf here: http://www.subcontrabassoon.com/legnifont/download.html
I do not currently support custom fonts for inserting stamps/notes. This is something I'm going to consider adding in the future, but the tricky part is that I will have to dynamically figure out what characters are valid in the font and show these to the user in a grid so they can pick from the available characters in the font. If it's a unicode font, it can support a massive amount of characters, so having the ability to limit it to only a range of valid characters is essential (I don't know how feasible that is). The other way to handle this is to require the user to enter the characters they want to use for the font, but this can become incredibly complex and/or tedious depending on the font (i.e. having to enter codes like U+0080 or extended ASCII character codes). 

A workaround is take your font and either extract some of the characters as an image or as a vector graphics file. For example, you could use Inkscape, insert a character/symbol from your font and then save that as a .svg file. Then rinse and repeat for each character, and you'll have a series of .svg files you can import into MobileSheets. 

I'm also considering adding support for custom fonts when entering text in the future, but this will present a new list of challenges. When entering text from a music font like the one you've listed, it may not be possible to just type in the character you need, so I'm not sure that will work very well as a text annotation.

Mike
(03-16-2021, 08:52 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I do not currently support custom fonts for inserting stamps/notes. This is something I'm going to consider adding in the future, but the tricky part is that I will have to dynamically figure out what characters are valid in the font and show these to the user in a grid so they can pick from the available characters in the font. If it's a unicode font, it can support a massive amount of characters, so having the ability to limit it to only a range of valid characters is essential (I don't know how feasible that is). The other way to handle this is to require the user to enter the characters they want to use for the font, but this can become incredibly complex and/or tedious depending on the font (i.e. having to enter codes like U+0080 or extended ASCII character codes). 

A workaround is take your font and either extract some of the characters as an image or as a vector graphics file. For example, you could use Inkscape, insert a character/symbol from your font and then save that as a .svg file. Then rinse and repeat for each character, and you'll have a series of .svg files you can import into MobileSheets. 

I'm also considering adding support for custom fonts when entering text in the future, but this will present a new list of challenges. When entering text from a music font like the one you've listed, it may not be possible to just type in the character you need, so I'm not sure that will work very well as a text annotation.

Mike

Thank you for your reply. 
I just recently downloaded the font and I found out they already have shortcuts available, as shown in this youtube video: https://youtu.be/SodP34pU4iI
Another problem would be that it is very difficult if not impossible to import ttf in android without rooting the device.
Maybe, this problem can be circumvented by adding some feature in Mobilesheets Companion in Windows, since its very easy to import ttf in Windows? 
In the main time, I will explore the way of transforming the ttf to a svg using Inkscape. Is there a list of file formats one can import in MobilesheetsPro?
Thanks again,
Geert
For stamps, MobileSheetsPro supports .jpg, .png, .bmp, .gif and .svg. I don't have any plans to allow fonts or stamps to be set up in the companion app (at least not anytime soon).

Mike
I'm having a problem with newly created stamps that I didn't have before:

Below is an example of two stamps with png and jpg formats and a preview of how they are supposed to look like and the actual files.
Outside MSP the open and look fine however, when imported in MSP, although they preview fine in the stamp library, when inserted the png is missing the white dot and the jpg appears as a black square.  I tried also .svg format and it behaves like the png format missing the white dot ...
No idea what's happening.  All my custom stamps have been always fine and created the same way.
THis is happening in both of my tablets and I have the latest MSP versions.
Can you please try to import them as stamps and see if you have the same problem?
Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9xzi75hv1f9ay...UeEJa?dl=0
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
The stamps look perfectly fine on my Samsung Tab S4. Can you take a screenshot of what it looks like on your device? I'm not sure why it's behaving oddly for you at the moment. Perhaps there is a setting that is different between our devices. Did you make sure that no color is selected for the stamp? If you have a color selected, the pixel blending could be causing some undesired effects because your images have a white background. Just tap the color field and select "No Color".

Mike
(03-22-2021, 04:45 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: The stamps look perfectly fine on my Samsung Tab S4. Can you take a screenshot of what it looks like on your device? I'm not sure why it's behaving oddly for you at the moment. Perhaps there is a setting that is different between our devices. Did you make sure that no color is selected for the stamp? If you have a color selected, the pixel blending could be causing some undesired effects because your images have a white background. Just tap the color field and select "No Color".

Mike

I apologize.  Yes there a color assigned to the stamps.  I selected no-color and everything is fine.  I went crazy for about 2 hours trying all sorts of things ......  
Thanks!
Juan
Donner BT pedal
No worries - I'm glad it was something simple!

Mike
(03-22-2021, 06:06 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: No worries - I'm glad it was something simple!

Mike

Perhaps color should be forced to none for jpg stamps so that you don't get a big color filled square ...
Donner BT pedal
I'll mark that down as an enhancement for a future update. It will be pretty tedious to have to inject file type checking all over the place to override the behavior when a .jpg file is used versus a png or svg, so I'm not going to work on that until I have more bandwidth.

Mike
Or maybe some kind of warning in the manual for now
Donner BT pedal