• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
text annotation: displaced editing
MobileSheets version 3.1.0
Device: MS Surface Pro7, Win10 Home 20H2

I want to place a text annotation on a sheet. From the annotation tool bar (or the circular menu), I select the "T" for text annotation.
I then click on the target location and stretch a rectangle to mark where the text should be placed.
When entering the text, it is not shown in the place of that rectangle, but some 3...5cm below it. When I'm done with text entry, I click somewhere else on the sheet (to finish editing this annotation) and the text jumps to where I drew the rectangle.

Same when I want to edit the text: with "T" active, I click the text. It jumps down some 3...5cm and I can do the editing. When finished with editing, the text jumps back to where it should be.

That's quite combersome, especially if you want to write finger codes above the notes.

When I switch on the text border, I see that the border rectangle is in the right place, but the entry/editing is displaced.
(see attached screen shots)

The behaviour is independent, if I do the clicking with my bare finger on the screen, with the MS pencil, or with a BlueTooth connected mouse.
It is also independant whether I have the MS type cover (detachable keyboard) connected or not.
It's also independent from tablet mode or normal mode.

I also have MS Pro (v3.1.0) on an old Samsung 10" tablet, Android 4.4.4
There, everything works fine, i.e. the entry/editing of the text is in the correct place where it should finally sit.

I didn't find any matching hint in the forums or in the settings of my installation.

Any suggestion?  Huh

Many Thanks in Advance!
Andreas

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I tried, and re-tried.
I restarted MobileSheets, and now everything works fine.
Problem "solved".

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Andreas
---------------------------------
MS Surface Pro7, Win10;  Samsung 10" tablet, Android;   MouKey foot pedal
That's truly strange. Let me know if that ever happens again. There must be some kind of state the application can get into where the calculations for positioning the text edit control place it in an incorrect spot. It's important to note that the rendering of text annotations when you aren't editing them is different than when you are. When you aren't editing them, I render them myself using a 2D graphics library. When you are editing them, I don't render the text using the 2D graphics library (although I still render the border using that), and instead use a standard text editing control with a transparent background, and I just place that where the text annotation should be. That's why you can potentially see the text in a different spot while editing it. I will need to understand how to get the app into that state in order to know how to address that issue though.

Thanks,
Mike
Thumbs Up 
(04-19-2021, 07:06 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: That's truly strange. Let me know if that ever happens again. There must be some kind of state the application can get into where the calculations for positioning the text edit control place it in an incorrect spot. It's important to note that the rendering of text annotations when you aren't editing them is different than when you are. When you aren't editing them, I render them myself using a 2D graphics library. When you are editing them, I don't render the text using the 2D graphics library (although I still render the border using that), and instead use a standard text editing control with a transparent background, and I just place that where the text annotation should be. That's why you can potentially see the text in a different spot while editing it. I will need to understand how to get the app into that state in order to know how to address that issue though.

Thanks,
Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your reply and the explanation on the handling of text annotations.
I somehow remember that I had a similar behaviour in the Android app, some months ago. It showed up during a rehersal, but when I later wanted to repeat it for tracking down, I wasn't able to.

However, I will let you know when I experience it again.

Thanks for the great program - some of my fellow musicians in our accordion orchestra are in the Apple universe and are very jealous when they see the fantastic usability and feature richness of Mobile Sheets, which is not (yet) available on their iPads.

Greatings from Austria - Viele Grüße aus Österreich,
Andreas
Andreas
---------------------------------
MS Surface Pro7, Win10;  Samsung 10" tablet, Android;   MouKey foot pedal
I believe I've found the cause for this problem. It will be fixed in version 3.1.1.

Thanks,
Mike
(04-21-2021, 07:39 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I believe I've found the cause for this problem. It will be fixed in version 3.1.1.

Thanks,
Mike

Great!
I'm looking forward to what the future brings for MS!

Andreas