• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Song with several Keys and a file for each key
Hi Mobile Sheets Team,

actually I have a lot of songs that are played by differnt worship teams in different keys. So now I have several song entrys. I'd would like to group these key-versions.
It would be amazing if I can have one Song and have different files for different keys for this song.
One key-file can be marked as "favourite", one file can be marked as original-key.
For each file it is saved in which exact key it is. If I choose the song I can select which key I want it (or the favourite key is selected automatically and can be manually changed).

Or how is the best practise way in the actual mobile sheets version?

Best regards from Germany,
Samuel
There is a planned feature for song versioning which you can read about in other forum posts. I plan to allow any song to have multiple versions that you will be able to switch between with a dropdown, and when building a setlist, you will be able to choose which version of a song you want to use. Once this feature is available (which won't be until after the iOS version of MobileSheets is released), you will be able to set up multiple versions of a song to handle each key. For now, you'll have to just have multiple song entries in the library. I would just name them the same exact for adding the key at the end of the title to distinguish it from other versions.

Mike
(07-11-2021, 06:05 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: There is a planned feature for song versioning which you can read about in other forum posts. I plan to allow any song to have multiple versions that you will be able to switch between with a dropdown, and when building a setlist, you will be able to choose which version of a song you want to use. Once this feature is available (which won't be until after the iOS version of MobileSheets is released), you will be able to set up multiple versions of a song to handle each key. For now, you'll have to just have multiple song entries in the library. I would just name them the same exact for adding the key at the end of the title to distinguish it from other versions.

Mike

Hi Mike,

thank you for your quick answer. 
The song versioning feature sounds great. Especially in a non english country, where you sometimes sing the songs in english, sometimes in german. Some songs have such strange german names that searching them with the english name is often more convenient.

I'm looking forward to the new versions.

Regards,
Samuel
IMHO, the transposition is the biggest issue with Mobile Sheets. I get my system all tickity boo and go to some jam where for some reason I need to transpose a bunch of songs and because they can't be temporarily transposed, all these songs get messed up. I can't be the only one.
(07-22-2021, 09:03 PM)Jonk Wrote: IMHO, the transposition is the biggest issue with Mobile Sheets. I get my system all tickity boo and go to some jam where for some reason I need to transpose a bunch of songs and because they can't be temporarily transposed, all these songs get messed up. I can't be the only one.

the same for me. I play with different people the same song and each prefers a different key. 
Having multiple PDFs for a song with different keys and be able to choose which version to watch or add to a setlist is a must have feature for me. If I would find a similar software that can do this I wouldn't hesitate to uninstall mobile sheets...

regards,
samuel
I think the problem is that you are using PDFs for the songs; as you have found, these can't be transposed "on the fly"  (and I suspect they never will).

If you had Chordpro songs, you could use the transposing feature to do what you want. The downside is that you lose any fancy layout that you would have had in the pdf.

As I understand it, the versioning that Mike is referring is to allow one to have multiple versions of a song but only have one entry in the songs tab to refer to them as a "group" (my terminology). Having selected this single entry, one can then choose which version you want to use e.g. different key, instrument or band.

So, under versioning, you either need to use chordpro (there is talk of ABC notation but that is probably some way off) or you will need to generate multiple PDF files to suit each scenario.

Assuming the number of files you need to manipulate is small (and that may not be the case), I suggest you add Chordpro versions of the expected shared songs so that you have the option of transposing should the need arise. I would append something like "- CP" or "- ChordPro" to the names of these duplicate songs so that they are easily identifiable. To aid filtering, I would also add then to a "ChordPro" collection in addition to the collection of your original song.

I'm sure Mike will correct me if I'm wrong

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Hi Geoff,

I have different PDF files for each version / key so it would be enough to have the grouping option. Normally we get the songs in PDF.
Chordpro would be easier to transpose automatically, but we often get songsheets from ccli songselect in pdf format...

regards,
samuel