• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing columns other than Title
Leo - yes, I am the developer of MobileSheets. I'm not opposed to potentially support a grid-based view for the library screen in the future, but it's not a simple switch to convert everything over to that, and a lot of code would be impacted by that change (I'll spare you the details). While I can see the potential use for this while trying to set up the library and manage the metadata, I don't think that's as useful when you are trying to quickly find something. As BRX said, typing in three letters to find data in any of the supported fields is faster than sorting by a column and then having to scroll through the entire list (especially if you have thousands of songs). There are also lots of other ways to quickly filter things including a voice-based search, filter dropdowns for fields (additional fields can be accessed by tapping the icon with a downward arrow at the far right of the filters bar), or using the various tabs to quickly get to the group you are trying to find. As for your comment about the song title formatting - you can use whatever separators you want. You are not limited to spaces. You could use brackets, slashes, tabs, etc. This makes it very clear how the fields are separated at a quick glance. I do think having some kind of alignment options would be nice for the formatting (so you can add extra spacing between fields and have all fields line up vertically), but that's also not simple when using a font that is not a fixed-width font. I should also mention that, while Android does support a generic GridView container, it does not support something that implements all of the expected behavior for a spreadsheet-like view (i.e. something like excel, which you are probably picturing in your head). All of that functionality, including having headers at the top displayed differently than the cells, having the ability to tap those headers for changing the sorting behavior, having resizable columns or rows, etc, is all stuff that would have to be implemented individually. While there might be some open-source projects trying to emulate this behavior on Android, I would have to go through that code closely to see how the good the quality of the code is, and then figure out the integration with the existing codebase. If users saw a spreadsheet like view, they would also probably assume that the individual fields were editable, and if I wanted to support that, it would involve a significant amount of new code for updating the database when modifications are made, and supporting a way to cancel edits.

I do appreciate all the feedback though, and will do what I can to help support workflows that are important to users. I do need to have a sense of how impactful changes will be before making them though. If only a handful of users want a grid-based view for the library screen and I spend weeks implementing it, that is not a good investment of time when I have such a large backlog of feature requests to work through. So the more people that chime in and throw their support behind requests like this, the more it will help in my decision making process.

Thanks,
Mike

Messages In This Thread
Missing columns other than Title - by LtB - 07-12-2021, 07:02 AM
RE: Missing columns other than Title - by LtB - 07-12-2021, 09:28 PM
RE: Missing columns other than Title - by BRX - 07-13-2021, 01:47 AM
RE: Missing columns other than Title - by LtB - 07-13-2021, 03:28 AM
RE: Missing columns other than Title - by BRX - 07-13-2021, 05:20 AM
RE: Missing columns other than Title - by Zubersoft - 07-13-2021, 06:05 AM
RE: Missing columns other than Title - by LtB - 07-14-2021, 07:26 AM