• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single Staff in Annotations
(07-25-2021, 03:59 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: It's definitely on the list of things to do. With all of the major changes that were made to the annotations functionality with version 3.0.0, it was basically a first pass to get everything in place and working that users needed. I also wanted to see which things were important to users, and which were not. I had no idea if the piano staff tool would really be useful to people, so it's great to hear that people are using it and would like more options. 

I understand that people seem to want more and more features that are normal in a sheet music composition app. However, I don't want to go too far down that rabbit hole, as there are a ton of other things that still need to be implemented first that provide significant value for the core purpose of the app. I realize that it would be convenient for people to be able to quickly place notes on the staff, transpose notes, add time signatures, etc, etc, but if you need that kind of functionality, it's probably better to use an app specifically designed for that and just export the output to PDF. You can use apps like Musescore, Lilipond, Staffpad, Finale, etc which are going to give you any feature you could ever want for composition. I'm happy to provide simple features to assist people with quick modifications or additions, but I want to set expectations properly for what I have planned in that regard.

I have no problems adding options to pick from a variety of clefs. I know other users want more options for dynamic tools for placing things like slurs. While it's a no-brainer to want to support these things, the level of effort for each one should not be underestimated or trivialized. A lot more goes into each one than it seems. Once the framework is in place for generically supporting different kinds of clefs, then it probably isn't terribly difficult to add an additional one. The current way I designed the piano staff doesn't really help with achieving that goal though. I'm going to need to refactor the code a bit to make it easier to insert new kinds of vector graphics-based tools so that I can add alto clef, base clef, treble clef, tenor clef, blank staff lines, or perhaps things for different instruments that I haven't even considered yet. The piano staff feature was sort of a proof-of-concept so that I could see how it would work out and if users would like the way it functioned. Now that it seems to be something users are utilizing and want more options for, I have no problem putting in the additional work to expand it to support more types of tools.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks, Mike. Understood.

Messages In This Thread
Single Staff in Annotations - by Scherzo - 07-24-2021, 10:05 PM
RE: Single Staff in Annotations - by jeffn1 - 07-25-2021, 05:28 AM
RE: Single Staff in Annotations - by Harry777 - 07-25-2021, 01:37 PM
RE: Single Staff in Annotations - by Tom Hudon - 12-07-2023, 04:25 PM
RE: Single Staff in Annotations - by Zubersoft - 07-25-2021, 03:59 PM
RE: Single Staff in Annotations - by jeffn1 - 07-26-2021, 01:08 AM
RE: Single Staff in Annotations - by Scherzo - 07-27-2021, 07:41 PM
RE: Single Staff in Annotations - by johnf888 - 12-24-2021, 04:02 PM