• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Dropbox Sync failure
My friend has the MBS pro account and wishes to use the Dropbox "synchronise to a cloud" feature in order to safely backup the 1000+ music files in his current library. (The archived .mbs file is over 11GB in size!)

Upon clicking on the "START" button to commence the sync of the library, the status outputs the successful transfer of the first dozen file titles, but then trips up when the first folder is encountered. Is this a possible write permission problem?

The MBS Pro version is up to date. Both this app and the Dropbox App's read/write permission settings, on the Samsung Tablet look fine?

I've included a screenshot attachment of the Status output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dermot

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

There are a few things to check into:

1) For the file that the sync is failing on, can you load the song using that file and it displays correctly? If you go to Settings->Other Settings->Find Missing Files, how many missing files are reported?
2) Can you manually create the folder that the sync is failing on under the sync folder? I want to see if there is an error with the folder name that Dropbox is not allowing for some reason.
3) Is the file that the sync is failing on used by multiple songs or only a single song?

What folder was selected as the sync folder? 

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.
Having gone through the suggested points, I now have a different error 'status output (screenshot attached)

I've addressed the points you've raised below with my comments in red

1) For the file that the sync is failing on, can you load the song using that file and it displays correctly?
Yes, - I can open the file "13 The Musical"
If you go to Settings->Other Settings->Find Missing Files, how many missing files are reported?
I performed a missing file search. I was able to correctly find 30+ files either on the device or Dropbox that have now successfully been registered with my library. However there are another 20+ files that I have not been able to locate. I wonder if this could have a detrimental impact with this cloud sync problem?
2) Can you manually create the folder that the sync is failing on under the sync folder? I want to see if there is an error with the folder name that Dropbox is not allowing for some reason.
Yes - I was able to manually create "13 The Musical", in Dropbox
3) Is the file that the sync is failing on used by multiple songs or only a single song?

I'm not sure how I could determine if the library is using this song twice? Certainly isn't listed twice if I do a search for the song title.

From the screenshot attached you'll see that synchronisation fails at the very first song - "13 The Musical"?

As an aside, the synchronisation process involves uploading the .msb file to Dropbox, which I'm informed needs to occur before the sync can occur. When I manually perform a backup to DropBox I receive Java IO Exception error message warning - "The backup has failed to complete due to the following: Java.Io.Exception: write failed: ENOSPC(No space left on device)" This is unexpected as there is no a problem of space on either the samsung tablet, or Dropbox?
I was able to successfully create a backup to a folder on the sd card.
I wonder if this might shed some light on my above cloud sync problem?

Any more help would be appreciated

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you are creating a library backup file under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library, the backup file is created on internal storage in a temporary file location first, then uploaded to the cloud. So if you don't have enough internal storage available, you will run into that error. 

Synchronizing to a cloud folder works differently though - a .msb isn't created like with a library backup. Instead, all of the library files are just uploaded directly to Dropbox along with a copy of the database. So you won't run into the same storage issue with that.

Having missing files in your library certainly could impact the library sync, but I don't think it's related to the issue you are seeing here. Please try something for me - Sync to a folder called something like "Sync" instead of synchronizing to the root folder of Dropbox. I want to see if that might have something to do with the issue you are seeing. Synchronizing to the root folder is going to create a mess in your Dropbox account, so it's best not to do that.

Thanks,
Mike
The suggestion to create a "Sync" folder on Dropbox and upload to this dir worked!!

Thanks for your help Smile
I did find the bug with synchronizing to the root folder, so that will be fixed with version 3.2.5. Thanks for helping me find this issue.

Mike