• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pages not loading
Hello!
I am having a *very* serious problem with MobileSheets that thankfully only happens rarely, but has the potential to completely derail a performance. Sometimes, when I open a piece, it doesn't load completely, and when I turn a page (whether by touching the screen or using my pedal) I simple get a black screen with a "loading" circle in the middle (see video https://photos.app.goo.gl/8sg6cdDMjWeYuYsb7 )

Going back and forth doesn't help. The only way to fix it is to close the song and open it again.

I'm running a Surface Pro 6 with 8 GB RAM, intel i7, 256 GB hard drive but with tons of empty space. (I only use it for MobileSheets)

Help!!
Hello,

That's incredibly strange that only part of the song is loading. If you load the song again by returning to the library screen and tapping it, does it then correctly load all pages? Or does it get stuck in that mode until you restart the application? I'm also going to need to know the following:

1) Are you using the default storage location under Settings->Storage->Set MobileSheets Storage Location?
2) Are you using PDFs or image files?
3) Does the problem occur after first loading MobileSheets or only after it has been running for quite a while?
4) Do the same pieces seem to encounter this problem, or does it appear to be completely random? 

I'm definitely going to need to figure out some way to reproduce the problem in order to have an idea about what is happening. Any information you can provide on what steps I should take to try to reproduce it would be helpful.

Thanks,
Mike
(08-10-2021, 06:54 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Hello,

That's incredibly strange that only part of the song is loading. If you load the song again by returning to the library screen and tapping it, does it then correctly load all pages? Or does it get stuck in that mode until you restart the application? I'm also going to need to know the following:

1) Are you using the default storage location under Settings->Storage->Set MobileSheets Storage Location?
2) Are you using PDFs or image files?
3) Does the problem occur after first loading MobileSheets or only after it has been running for quite a while?
4) Do the same pieces seem to encounter this problem, or does it appear to be completely random? 

I'm definitely going to need to figure out some way to reproduce the problem in order to have an idea about what is happening. Any information you can provide on what steps I should take to try to reproduce it would be helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks for the reply! When I load the song again by returning to the library screen and tapping it, it then correctly loads.

1) Yes, I'm using the default storage location, which is:

C:\Users\guill\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState

2) PDF
s

3) This problem happens randomly, whether MobileSheets has been open only a few seconds or been running quite a while.

4) Same as above, completely random. I don't think it's ever happened with the same piece twice, but it has definitely happened a good dozen times over the past several months (thankfully only during practice, not during a performance)...
Thanks for the information. I'll have to run through some tests today to see if I can reproduce the issue. If I cannot, then I would be blindly trying to fix this issue, which will make it more difficult. I can try adding code that detects when a page has been in the loading state for more than ~5 seconds, and if so, force it to try to re-render again. If I implement that code, then I also need to account for files/devices where loading a page may take more than 5 seconds. In that instance, I'd have to detect the situation where the first page took more than 5 seconds on both attempts, so allow it take longer. This would result in pages taking double the time to load in those rare scenarios though, for which I don't have a good answer. I would much rather figure out how to get into the state where pages won't load versus having to add this kind of a band-aid.

Mike
I think it would be useful to test a copy of your library if you can share it with me at mike@zubersoft.com. I've been working with another user's library, and the only time I've ever encountered an issue is with files that take more than 7.5 seconds to render a page (due to horribly inefficient PDFs). My code times out after 7.5 seconds, and then attempts to render the page again. Do you have any songs in your library that can take 5 or more seconds to render a page? Is it possible some of the problems you are seeing are due to slow loading files? I've been running automated tests and loading hundreds of songs, turning pages and waiting to see if something doesn't load. As mentioned, no problems have been seen except for files that are taking an exceptionally long time to load.

Thanks,
Mike
(08-13-2021, 08:22 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I think it would be useful to test a copy of your library if you can share it with me at mike@zubersoft.com. I've been working with another user's library, and the only time I've ever encountered an issue is with files that take more than 7.5 seconds to render a page (due to horribly inefficient PDFs). My code times out after 7.5 seconds, and then attempts to render the page again. Do you have any songs in your library that can take 5 or more seconds to render a page? Is it possible some of the problems you are seeing are due to slow loading files? I've been running automated tests and loading hundreds of songs, turning pages and waiting to see if something doesn't load. As mentioned, no problems have been seen except for files that are taking an exceptionally long time to load.

Thanks,
Mike

Thank you again for the replies!

None of my PDFs take particularly long to load. I have some rather long books (such as 3-hour operas or whole books) and they load within a second or so. The problem, of course, is when I begin turning pages and it turns out a random page didn't load. The only way to make sure ALL the pages loaded for now is to scroll through the whole PDF before I start playing, which is of course extremely inconvenient, especially in performance settings.

I think your "duct tape" fix is very clever and sensible. The limit could even be higher, perhaps 10 seconds? The first page ALWAYS loads perfectly fine, and playing through that first page definitely takes more than 10 seconds the great majority of the time.

I'll send a copy of my library to that email. Thanks!
(08-23-2021, 02:54 AM)YellovvYoshi Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 08:22 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I think it would be useful to test a copy of your library if you can share it with me at mike@zubersoft.com. I've been working with another user's library, and the only time I've ever encountered an issue is with files that take more than 7.5 seconds to render a page (due to horribly inefficient PDFs). My code times out after 7.5 seconds, and then attempts to render the page again. Do you have any songs in your library that can take 5 or more seconds to render a page? Is it possible some of the problems you are seeing are due to slow loading files? I've been running automated tests and loading hundreds of songs, turning pages and waiting to see if something doesn't load. As mentioned, no problems have been seen except for files that are taking an exceptionally long time to load.

Thanks,
Mike

Thank you again for the replies!

None of my PDFs take particularly long to load. I have some rather long books (such as 3-hour operas or whole books) and they load within a second or so. The problem, of course, is when I begin turning pages and it turns out a random page didn't load. The only way to make sure ALL the pages loaded for now is to scroll through the whole PDF before I start playing, which is of course extremely inconvenient, especially in performance settings.

I think your "duct tape" fix is very clever and sensible. The limit could even be higher, perhaps 10 seconds? The first page ALWAYS loads perfectly fine, and playing through that first page definitely takes more than 10 seconds the great majority of the time.

I'll send a copy of my library to that email. Thanks!

Hello everyone, 

Very happy to see this topic because it happened to me a few times also, very randomly so hard to debug... I have also a Surface 6 Pro i5-8250U 8Go and my library is in Documents/Mobilesheets/

@zubersoft : is the update 3.2.7 "increased timeout before canceling rendering" means that it shouldn't happen anymore ? 

@YellovvYoshi : Did this issue happened again for you since the update ? 

I definitely would be interested in following the resolving of this issue which is quite worrying sometimes ? 

All the best Smile
Well if you have documents that are taking longer than 7.5 seconds to render, the timeout is now 12.5 seconds, so that may or may not help you, depending on the source of the problem. I was never able to reproduce the problem, even though I automated loading songs and paging through them for around 20 hours. The test loaded thousands of songs from a user's library that exhibited the problem, yet I never saw it once. So unlesss I know how to reproduce the problem, I won't have any way of knowing what is occurring. If songs are loaded and pages are turned with a pedal or tap, then there certainly is no issue that I can see. If users are doing something like turning pages with multiple fingers and causing a zoom at the exact same time as a page turn, perhaps something like that could eventually cause an issue. Let me know if you believe you are doing that on occasion. In that case, just turn on performance mode before performing, and you should never see the problem.

Mike