• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did I lose everything?
I use Mobilesheets Pro for Windows basically without any issues at all. I was thinking the other day it's been forever since I have backed it up (2018), and I'd hate to lose everything so I better back it up. So I wanted to update my old backup to make sure it had everything from the last few years. So I clicked sync library, chose the old backup, and let it run. However, it seems I have done the opposite, restoring the old backup instead of backing up my current? Everything new was gone, so I went to Backup and Restore and restored an auto-backup from a few days ago and all my pieces came back but upon attempting to load it tells me that the file does not exist.

Am I out of luck? 

I guess I misunderstood what the sync backup function was for and now have lost all my work...
Surface Pro 4 | MS Windows 10
To create a library backup file you, have to go to Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library. The sync library->Sync to a backup file feature is only useful for users that want to synchronize their library to a backup file from a different user so that they can merge changes into their library from that backup file. You would never use that feature to backup the library, as it doesn't work that way. There is no way to update an existing backup file right now - you always have to create a new one. Adding support for incremental backups is certainly something I would like to add, but it's not currently available.

As far as recovering your library, restoring the automatic database backup was the correct thing to do to restore the database, but now you have to replace the files. If you have all of the PDFs, I would recommend copying them into the storage location listed under Settings->Storage->Set MobileSheets Storage Location, then go to Settings->Other Settings->Fix Broken File Paths, let it run to fix the database to point to the files you copied in, and then your library should work again.

Mike
Thanks so much for the fast reply. I found the path, its buried in AppData\Local\Packages etc. I also have the setting on for "Create Subdirectories for Pieces". I have 100s of pieces now missing their pdfs. So I need to find the original PDF, and put it into the folder it thinks its supposed to be in, then run the Fix Broken file paths? Do I need to bother with creating the subfolders first? Would save quite a bit of time if not. Thanks!
Update: I've been able to get most of the PDFs restored. They're saved in various places but I have all of them still somewhere. Thanks so much for your help again, MobileSheets is the best!
I'm glad you were able to get things mostly restored. Sorry I wasn't able to respond to you sooner.

Mike
Don't forget to back it up once you have restored it as best you can!

I don't have automatic update enabled on MSP (in case an update interferes with a gig)
Prior to manually updating (the counter on the Play Store app shows one is available), I take a backup with the companion.
This means that I always have something to go back to should the worse happen (and the backup is on a different device).
Obviously, if one is making lots of changes then one also needs to take additional backups (it all depends on how much one is prepared to lose/rebuild)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6