• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horizontal scrolling
Question 
I know it has been wished for and mentioned in past years, but it didn't have it's own topic yet.
I love the option for vertical scrolling, but when will there be support for horizontal scrolling?
This would be extremely useful, especially for widescreen displays and landscape documents. 
It would make it possible to view at least the first bar of the next page without needing a two-page display.
Will this be introduced anytime soon?
(08-20-2021, 01:09 AM)Zwart Wrote: I know it has been wished for and mentioned in past years, but it didn't have it's own topic yet.
I love the option for vertical scrolling, but when will there be support for horizontal scrolling?
This would be extremely useful, especially for widescreen displays and landscape documents. 
It would make it possible to view at least the first bar of the next page without needing a two-page display.

In the meantime you could set the display mode to half page.  If you set your pedal to 'go next page' it will show the top half of the next page while you are finishing the current page. 
The next click will complete the page.
That's my setting and it works great.
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
(08-20-2021, 01:09 AM)Zwart Wrote: I know it has been wished for and mentioned in past years, but it didn't have it's own topic yet.

In the meantime you could set the display mode to half page.  If you set your pedal to 'go next page' it will show the top half of the next page while you are finishing the current page. 
The next click will complete the page.
That's my setting and it works great.
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
@palosanto: thanks, that is a very helpful suggestion for me when using landscape documents in landscape mode (although I have to hit the pedal twice as much compared with the horizontal scrolling method). For portrait documents though, the external display of my Android device uses desktop mode which is landscape only, so as a workaround I have to turn all portrait pages by 90 degrees in order to use the display in portrait, but that renders the half page method useless (because it will cut my rotated pages vertical instead of a horizontal).
I'm a little confused about the need to scroll documents horizontally. Obviously this doesn't make a lot of sense for portrait documents as you would be moving content off the screen that you haven't played yet. If you are using landscape documents, you can just rotate the document, lock the app in portrait mode, use the vertical scrolling display mode and then initiate scrolling. That would make the document move horizontally just as you are asking. Granted you then have to rotate the tablet to access the UI elements (or tap them while they are sideways), but that's not as much of an issue while playing, but it would be more of an issue while annotating I suppose. Why can't you just use the landscape document normally in landscape mode and scroll the page vertically though? Perhaps I need to see a short video or screenshots to understand the need for this.

Thanks,
Mike
Well, many tablets, TVs and (portable) monitors are wide or even ultrawide, coming with an aspect ratio of 16:9 or even 21:9.

For landscape documents on these displays, horizontal scrolling would be ideal because it allows for showing the first bar(s) of the next page.

Example:
[Image: yGkJiLN.jpg]

Screenshot without this feature (with a lot of wasted space and no ability to look forward):
[Image: Wog2Ruv.jpeg]

For portrait documents, you would obviously want to use vertical scrolling, but unlike tablets, most displays and (portable) monitors don't support portrait mode. Which means you rely on the OS of your device: Windows allows for rotating external displays, but Android doesn't. So for Android devices connected to an external display (like a TV or portable monitor), horizontal scrolling would be very helpful: you could just rotate the portrait documents by 90 degrees and enable horizontal scrolling in order to mimic vertical scrolling.

Is this enough to make you understand the need for this?
The problem is that, if I was supporting horizontal scrolling the way I support vertical scrolling, you would be able to scroll the page partway, but that would only ever make sense while you are playing the very last section of the page, and I'm not sure if it's better to have a slow scroll to the next page or just a complete page turn. If a complete page turn is used, then this seems to me less of a "horizontal scrolling" display mode, and more of a "single page display mode with a small preview of the next page".  If that's really all you want, I actually think this could be an option for the single page display mode where it will display as much of the next page on the screen as it can instead of only showing one page at a time. This would require some fixes for annotating though, as I currently have code that assumes only one page is displayed at a time while using the single page display mode, so there would be some required effort there to adjust for this. If you think there is value in having the page slowly scroll horizontally once you reach the end of the page and want the next page to slowly scroll over, then this would require a separate display mode.

Mike
(08-22-2021, 05:46 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: If that's really all you want, I actually think this could be an option for the single page display mode where it will display as much of the next page on the screen as it can instead of only showing one page at a time.

Yes, that's exactly what I need, and for what I already use "Vertical scrolling" on portrait documents. Would be great if you could implement this feature anytime soon. By the way, I find it ironic how your website states: "Choose between horizontal scrolling, vertical scrolling, half pages in portrait, or two pages at a time." If only that was true! Big Grin
Well the single page display mode does scroll horizontally between pages, it's just that only a single page is displayed at a time Smile

Mike
Touché! But I still hope you'll soon make it work like the "Vertical Scrolling" mode: it shouldn't just show a single page but all pages right after each other (but then in a horizontal row instead of vertical of course). We could then use wide and ultrawide displays to their full potential (no more wasted space)... Any idea when this could happen?
I can try to work on it on the side, but I'm also trying to get the iOS version finished. I don't think this is a trivial thing to implement with all the layout logic and code that can be potentially impacted, so it's not something I can just slip into an update. I'll have to set aside some time to test everything out thoroughly on both Android and Windows 10. There are a lot of things that aren't currently possible in the single page display mode that I would need to account for if pages from multiple songs can be on the screen at the same time. The scenarios are properly accounted for with the two page and vertical scrolling display modes, so it will probably just involve copying some code over from those display modes to eliminate assumptions that only a single page is shown.

Mike
Sounds good! Good luck with this.