• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
use chordpro reference implementation
ChordPro is a nice format which has lots of pros, unfortunately differences in implementation can still make life a bit hard.
Different implementations will generate different layouts, let alone different implementations will have different feature sets.

I realize this is probably only feasible for the Windows version of MobileSheets, but if there would be a wrapper around the reference implementation of ChordPro, this would mean you can get all features and exact layouts in MobileSheets as in the reference implementation. It would be a matter of calling another executable with some arguments to generate a PDF from a chordpro file.

This could give the added benefits of on the fly transposing together with controlled layouts.
I would really appreciate having more of the latest ChordPro features available in MSP.
But the proposed wrapper around the reference implementation only for the Win10 version is imho NOT the way to go!
That would transport the mentioned implementation differences into MSP - the windows version would behave different as MSP on Android and the future iPad version.
For me it's one of great advantages of MSP that the Windows and the Android version are (almost) completely compatible.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

While technically possible, in particular on Windows, I think embedding the complete ChordPro program is overkill. Mike has on his TODO full support for ChordPro on the language level (i.e., all directives and such) and I'm confident that will provide almost everything you'd want to ask for. And, again on Windows, it is fairly straightforward to install the ChordPro program and generate a custom PDF from your ChordPro document.

But I could be wrong... What specific features would you like to see supported?
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
my favourites are
- chord grid
- Pango
- embedded ABC
- more flexible formatting (separate settings for comment, comment italic ...)

Currently I generate PDFs with the ChordPro reference implementation in case of embedded ABC. With a workflow like this transposing on the fly is not possible any more.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I estimate the required effort to implement these in MSPro much less than trying to decently embed the whole ChordPro program. And, as pointed out, the additional advantage is that you get the same behaviour on Android, Windows and iOS.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
I definitely plan on supporting all of the chord pro directives. I just want to finish iOS, then that's near the top of the list.

Mike
(09-29-2021, 11:48 PM)sciurius Wrote: I estimate the required effort to implement these in MSPro much less than trying to decently embed the whole ChordPro program. And, as pointed out, the additional advantage is that you get the same behaviour on Android, Windows and iOS.

Using the separate app is way less work then implementing the same functionality yourself. I do agree of the advantage you mention.