• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enter annotation mode with stylus input stopped working
Hi all,

starting yesterday, MobileSheets does not enter annotation mode anymore when I use my stylus.

I'm using a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10. The setting (settings -> touch & pedal settings -> Enter annotation mode with stylus input) is still enabled, but using the stylus shows the same behavior is tapping with my finger.

When I go to annotation mode manually, I can use the styles to wring, and the back end of the stylus to erase.

In the annotation mode settings the first 3 options are enabled (stylus mode, enable touch input in stylus mode and automatically exit editing mode without user input) and all these seem to work as expected.

I did notice I got a new version yesterday, maybe this issue is caused by the new version?
Hello,

Nothing has changed with that functionality in any of the recent updaes. I just tested it on my Surface Pro 4 to be sure and it still enters annotation mode when I hover the stylus over the tablet. So we need to figure out why it's not behaving correctly on your tablet. Have you changed any of the OS settings related to the stylus? 

Mike
(02-19-2022, 04:07 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Hello,

Nothing has changed with that functionality in any of the recent updaes. I just tested it on my Surface Pro 4 to be sure and it still enters annotation mode when I hover the stylus over the tablet. So we need to figure out why it's not behaving correctly on your tablet. Have you changed any of the OS settings related to the stylus? 

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm not aware I changed anything. Is there any OS setting I can check?
If you don't mind losing your settings in MobileSheetsPro, you could try resetting the settings to the default under Settings->Other Settings. Alternatively, you could just go to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState, rename default.xml to default_backup.xml, and then restart MobileSheets. That would let you test out the default settings without losing your current settings. I just want to know if the hovering works correctly with the default settings, in which case we can explore what settings are conflicting.

In the OS Pen & Windows Ink settings, did you enable anything like "Let me use my pen as a mouse in some desktop apps"? There aren't really any other settings I'm seeing that could be involved.

Mike
(02-19-2022, 04:29 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: If you don't mind losing your settings in MobileSheetsPro, you could try resetting the settings to the default under Settings->Other Settings. Alternatively, you could just go to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState, rename default.xml to default_backup.xml, and then restart MobileSheets. That would let you test out the default settings without losing your current settings. I just want to know if the hovering works correctly with the default settings, in which case we can explore what settings are conflicting.

In the OS Pen & Windows Ink settings, did you enable anything like "Let me use my pen as a mouse in some desktop apps"? There aren't really any other settings I'm seeing that could be involved.

Mike

I can confirm that renaming default.xml makes things work again.
I've tried removing just the annotation enter node from my original default.xml but that doesn't solve the issue.
I'll try to whittle down which settings causes this, if you have any tips they're welcome obviously Smile
Please send default.xml to mike@zubersoft.com so I can test with it. I should be able to find the issue then.

Thanks,
Mike
It should be in your mail, thanks!
I had the same issue, replacing the pen battery and reinserting the tip fixed it for me.
Hi Mike,

It seems something went wrong when I tried to mail the file from my tablet directly (no clue what, I normally don't send mails from my tablet Smile)

However I found out the cause, it's a line called "performance_mode" in the xml. It was set to true, when I remove that entering annotation mode works as expected again. I wasn't aware of the feature performance mode at all and probably enabled it by accident Smile

Thanks!
You can switch performance mode on/off via the GUI - press and hold the bottom right corner of the screen and toggle the centre lock icon

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(02-19-2022, 07:45 PM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: You can switch performance mode on/off via the GUI - press and hold the bottom right corner of the screen and toggle the centre lock icon

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I found out exactly that and probably enabled it at some point by accident that way.
Performance mode should have prevented you from accessing the song overlay and annotation editor entirely. You had said, "When I go to annotation mode manually, I can use the styles to wring, and the back end of the stylus to erase.", so I assumed you could get into the annotation editor without issue, which would not have been possible if performance mode was enabled. So I'm still a little confused, but I'm glad you found the solution.

Mike
(02-20-2022, 04:48 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Performance mode should have prevented you from accessing the song overlay and annotation editor entirely. You had said, "When I go to annotation mode manually, I can use the styles to wring, and the back end of the stylus to erase.", so I assumed you could get into the annotation editor without issue, which would not have been possible if performance mode was enabled. So I'm still a little confused, but I'm glad you found the solution.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I forgot to add that I had to enable "Always show the titlebar" in order to be able to get into annotation mode in the first place.
Clear case of pebcac Smile
(02-19-2022, 05:07 AM)merijnb Wrote:
(02-19-2022, 04:29 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: If you don't mind losing your settings in MobileSheetsPro, you could try resetting the settings to the default under Settings->Other Settings. Alternatively, you could just go to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState, rename default.xml to default_backup.xml, and then restart MobileSheets. That would let you test out the default settings without losing your current settings. I just want to know if the hovering works correctly with the default settings, in which case we can explore what settings are conflicting.

Mike

I can confirm that renaming default.xml makes things work again.
I've tried removing just the annotation enter node from my original default.xml but that doesn't solve the issue.
I'll try to whittle down which settings causes this, if you have any tips they're welcome obviously Smile

Renaming default.xml solved the same issue for me as well.
It was weird, because it wasn't just that the stylus wouldn't trigger the annotations.  Using mouse clicks and keyboard wouldn't bring up annotations either.  I had also tried fiddling around with a couple of settings, including whether the stylus triggers annotations or not and also changing what type of tap or click triggers annotations, but these didn't help.
But renaming default.xml solved it.
In my case, I should point out that my computer upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 since I had last used the software, so that may be related.
I'm glad I found this thread.
Thanks.
I wonder if the file was corrupted... If you still have the other copy of it, please send it to mike@zubersoft.com so I can investigate whether there is an issue that needs addressing.

Thanks,
Mike