• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backups -- how much gets backed up?
After buying the program a year or more back, I'm finally getting around to actually using Mobilesheets and now that I've started with it I'm wondering why I didn't put in the effort to get going with it earlier. Blush 

Anyway, I added ten pdf with about four thousand lead sheets to my song list and tried the backup function and got a 128mb backup file out of it.

When I started the program I told it I didn't want it to make its own copy of the pdf files because I sometimes view them with other pdf readers too.

The size of the backup file makes me wonder if it's including the actual pdf files along with the mobilesheets-specific data in the backup?  If so, that's not needed in a situation like mine where the actual music files are managed separately from the mobilesheets program and all I really need or want to back up is the songlist and whatnot that make up the actual mobilesheets installation.

I had thought that I could set up my songs and setlists on my tablet and then just copy the backup file to my phone and have an identical setup there to review when I'm not in front of my piano.  But now I'm wondering if that's the right way to accomplish that goal, or if there's a different or better way to synchronize the setup between my two devices.

Ideally, I'd like to have a backup file of the mobilesheets setup that I can just keep on my fileserver with all of my other files and materials and be in a position to restore everything painlessly if something bad happens to my tablet.  But having a backup that contains everything including the actual pdf files seems a bit wasteful of space when the pdf files already exist separately.

Maybe I'm just missing something and not understanding how this is supposed to work.  Again, even though I've had the mobilesheets program lying around for some time I'm really just getting started with it now.
If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country AND Western

Messages In This Thread
Backups -- how much gets backed up? - by Frank Cox - 04-03-2022, 04:54 AM