• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAN I FIND NAMED PDF SONGS BY THEIR FIRST LETTER ALPHABETICALLY?
Hi!
OK, I have separated all 500 songs in the big scanned pdf document using Boxoft PDF Split (thanks again for the tip, Graeme).
I now have 500 separate files called Song 0001.pdf, 0002, etc.
I renamed the first few with their proper titles in Adobe Acrobat Pro.
NOW... my question is - before I spend a full day renaming them all with right-click, rename, etc., WILL MobileSheets take the first letter of the titles? Meaning if I press Y on stage, will all the Y songs be displayed? And if I press Y, then E then S, will Yesterday be displayed, for instance?
Grateful for any help here.
Thanks in advance,
Ron
I am not sure if there is a search function for a particular song (there mightbe, I just have not looked for that).

But, if you have all your songs (or your collection) in alphabetical order (is this the default ?) when you click on a letter, it takes you the portion of the list starting with that letter.

So, in my case, it worked out fine. I did a batch import and the names of the songs were sorted (by default) in alphabetical odrer based on the 1st letter of the song (and when I created some collections, the same thing happened within the collection).

For a setlist, I guess the idea is you decide the order (but I think you can push a button to list them alphabetically, at least temporarily). [I hope this is all correct].
When I've bookmarked big PDF files, I've always given the bookmark the name of the tune. Then, when you split the files with Boxoft, you can tell it to name each split file with the bookmark name (actually, without checking, I think that's the default) - Bingo!, instant tune names for one pass Smile .

To answer your direct question, MS will sort as you have assumed. It's up to you whether you want to (say) name something "The Girl From Ipanema" or "Girl From Ipanema, The" - the first will be under "T", the second, "G". There's an argument for both, of course.

It may depend on how either you, or the band you play with, names some songs. For example, one outfit I work with will refer to "Foggy Day" - whereas the correct title is "A Foggy Day" and that is how I have it named. Not much you can do about this, other than remember how you filed it Smile .

Of course, you could have both and I do this for some tunes with both English and (common) foreign titles - but that just takes up space.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
When you import the files you will/can give each song a name (as you said you have done for the first few) - then the answer to your question is yes. Just go to the 'Songs' list, and in the search bar entering 'Y' 'e' 's' will return Yesterday.
Thank you! That's reassuring!
Do you also happen to know anything about playing backing tracks along with the text? Would I be better to go an independent route with a good playback sampler/device?
Best,
Ron

(09-05-2013, 06:36 PM)cdawe55 Wrote: When you import the files you will/can give each song a name (as you said you have done for the first few) - then the answer to your question is yes. Just go to the 'Songs' list, and in the search bar entering 'Y' 'e' 's' will return Yesterday.
I don't use backing tracks, so I can't give a definitive answer, but I believe that it's possible to do just this, plenty of users here who seem to using it for this purpose.

If I can pass a personal opinion: I see a lot of solo acts around here and almost to a man (or a woman) they use back tracks and stand in front of their audience reading the lyrics. This does not generate any rapport between the performer and their audience. Far better to learn the words than read them.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(09-05-2013, 09:30 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: I don't use backing tracks, so I can't give a definitive answer, but I believe that it's possible to do just this, plenty of users here who seem to using it for this purpose.

If I can pass a personal opinion: I see a lot of solo acts around here and almost to a man (or a woman) they use back tracks and stand in front of their audience reading the lyrics. This does not generate any rapport between the performer and their audience. Far better to learn the words than read them.

Yes, of course you're right - but I will eventually have over 3000 songs, Graeme ... and no way can I hope to remember all their lyrics... those that I do remember will of course be used for contact with the audience ... personal touch among the tables, getting to know them... and especially at the breaks...
Can “Search”  for a song be made to be truly alphabetical?

Why does the a alphabetical search for “The tracks of My Tears” show the song under “T” In the side bar.
Yet a search for  “The Wild Mountain Thyme” Is under “W”
Can it be made to be truly alphabetical?

I mean why does not every song starting with the word "The" appear when I press "T"...

This is an old thread so I thought there maybe updates to this year of 2023.
People refer to pressing a second letter into the side search bar to get to their song…
But all this does for me is go to the next letter
Go to Settings->Library Settings and uncheck the option to ignore articles while sorting. That should get you what you want.

Mike