• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLE Midi not working
Hi all, this morning the bluetooth implementation seized to work... For both my tablet and my phone (both A12). 
It seems an update was installed overnight, and as such my bluetooth controller didn't connect this morning while working literally yesterday...

I have tried reinstalling the app, adding all permissions but nothing seems to make it work. I hope to have it working asap as I have become used to using a footswitch to turn pages Big Grin
Hello,

I'm going to need a little more information:

1) What type of pedal are you using and in what mode? Are you sending MIDI commands using the pedal versus key commands?
2) Just to verify, are both your Android devices running Android 12? I assume that's what you mean by A12, but just want to be sure
3) Did you get prompted for both the bluetooth permissions as well as location permissions? Do you have location services enabled? That's (unfortunately) required for connecting over bluetooth.

I hope we can figure out what is going on as the only thing that should have changed are the permissions for Android 12 devices.

Mike
Hi Mike,

1) Im using an esp32 running PedalinoMini software, but the issue is that I cant even search for bluetooth devices in the midi menu
2) Yes android 12 on both devices, tablet is a samsung s7 and phone is a sony xperia 5ii
3) I did not get prompted for the permissions, but this was an issue about 1-2 weeks ago and was fixed by giving it location acces manually in app info 

Whenever I go to the midi connection page it now defaults to the google usb option. When I select bluetooth instead of usb it hangs and the controls become greyed out and it looks like nothing is happening.
I'm going to be releasing an update today to address some bluetooth connection issues on Android 12 (there is one permission missing in order to have a device advertise itself which is required for the "Connect Tablets" and "Sync Library" features). I was not able to reproduce the issue you described with this latest build, so I'll have you test when the update is released to see if it fixes the issue you are seeing.

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

The update fixed it! Its now working like normal again, thanks for the quick fix!

I was wondering if it would be possible to install an older version of the app in case this happens again in the future. 
For example I was on practice at Saturday evening, and everything was working fine. Then Sunday morning it doesn't work anymore because it installed an update overnight.
In cases like this I wouldn't want it auto updating, but turning it off altogether means I might miss updates that improve certain functions. Or is there some way to stay informed about updates other than the play store (notifications seem hit or miss on this one)
(05-23-2022, 08:55 PM)coaqii Wrote: ......  is there some way to stay informed about updates other than the play store (notifications seem hit or miss on this one)

Mike always posts update details on this forum.

On a more general note, it is unwise to have auto-update turned on, especially for softwares (such as this one) which are critical to your work.  Keep auto-update off and only do a manual update when you have the time on-hand to note any possible problems that might arise.  There was a recent example of this very thing, where a lot of users suddenly found MSP wouldn't load after an update.  Mike sorted it very quickly, but it proved that updating immediately before relying on it working is a very bad idea!
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
For professionals, I do recommend disabling automatic updates, and just periodically updating through the Play Store. While I do everything I can to test out changes to ensure they don't crash, it's really difficult to account for every different kind of device with Android versions ranging from 4.0.3 to 12. These recent problems were the result of me not having an Android 12 tablet available to test on and not realizing that Google made significant changes to bluetooth permissions with Android 12. I've been waiting for one of my Samsung tablets to get the Android 12 update, but I may wind up getting one of the newer Samsung devices before I release any significant changes as I don't want to risk having any kinds of problems like this in the future.

Mike