• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nexus 7 Crashes with v4.0.19
Registered to post here. Wife and I are using Nexus 7 2013 editions, running 4.3. With the latest version of MobileSheets 4.0.19, the app is horribly unstable. We can't import pdfs and rename them without the app quitting because it stopped responding. We're not sure if it was the latest 4.3 Android update or what...

Not sure what's going on here, but the app is now unusable for both of our devices. Sad
Hello William,

Really sorry to hear you are suddenly having problems with MobileSheets. Was everything stable with earlier versions of the software on the Nexus 7? I seem to be getting odd reports of the new Nexus 7 not working well with MobileSheets, but I'm not sure why yet. Did you submit a crash report when the problem occurs? I don't seem have to have any crash reports on Google Play from a Nexus 7 user related to importing/renaming PDFs. I'm hoping I can track down this problem without needing to buy a Nexus 7 myself. The more information you can provide, the better.

Sorry I didn't catch you before you posted a review on Google Play - I'll do what I can to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks,
Mike
As a side note, are there are any other Nexus 7 users out there? It would be nice to know if this problem is occurring for everyone.
Hi Mike, I have sent a few crash reports to you, obviously you did not get them. I have just sent another. Maybe you will get it.
I can confirm this happening - Nexus 7 (2013) with MS (v4.0.19).

From what I can work out, it is the correction suggestions ON for the default keyboard for the Nexus.

Here is what is happening:
- new song
- load a PDF (probably optional)
- tap in the Title field
- start to type in that field
- crash
although it will crash itself after you tap in the Title field just after the keyboard comes up.

The other fields of Artist etc. do not crash.
I worked out that the crash happens after the keyboard comes up then after the correction suggestions area comes up just above the keyboard. It is filled with suggestions coming from the Title (file name if there is one). For some reason (you probably know) this suggestion area does not appear for Artist, Custom etc. (why is that? do you control this?)
Turning it off seems to by-pass the bug.
I probably need to test this a little more, but you might like to run the simulator on it.
I then installed SwiftKey keyboard and it works perfectly with no problems.

For WilliamG:
Settings>Language and input
Touch the icon on the right of the (checked) Google Keyboard (looks like 3 horizontal lines with a blob on each)
Touch Show correction suggestions
Touch Always hide
return to MS and test.
If you could report back here for Mike that would be good.

Mike let me know if you need any specific tests done for this. Thanks.
(10-16-2013, 04:56 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Hello William,

Really sorry to hear you are suddenly having problems with MobileSheets. Was everything stable with earlier versions of the software on the Nexus 7? I seem to be getting odd reports of the new Nexus 7 not working well with MobileSheets, but I'm not sure why yet. Did you submit a crash report when the problem occurs? I don't seem have to have any crash reports on Google Play from a Nexus 7 user related to importing/renaming PDFs. I'm hoping I can track down this problem without needing to buy a Nexus 7 myself. The more information you can provide, the better.

Sorry I didn't catch you before you posted a review on Google Play - I'll do what I can to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, appreciate the speedy reply. I sent a report about 20 minutes ago. Hopefully you can see it? I called it "nexus 7 crash." I think the app possibly got messed up with the latest version of 4.3, but I can't say for sure. Mobilesheets hard locked both our Nexus 7 devices so we had to hold down the power button to reboot. At that point the app just crashes during renaming files.

Thanks!
Bumblebee,

Thank you so much for that detailed information. That will help me significantly in tracking down whatever problem is occurring. I just hope that my Nexus 10 will generate the same behavior. The difference between the Artist/Album fields and the Title field is that the Artist/Album fields are set up as Auto-complete textboxes. This must disable the suggestion boxes. It seems that I have two choices:

1) If I can replicate the bug with the suggestion box on my Nexus 10, fix whatever is occurring.
2) If I can't replicate the bug, disable the suggestion feature (I believe I can do this based on how I configure the textbox)

On a side note, I still do not see crash reports related to this on Google Play. I'm beginning to wonder if their crash reporting system is behaving oddly...

Thanks,
Mike
Hey Mike,

I actually reported it earlier yesterday, too. So at least twice.. Not sure why you're not getting the crash reports.

Cheers.

*EDIT*

D'oh! just saw Bumblebee's message! Bumblebee, I can report that turning off that setting DOES fix the issue. Well done, sir. My wife and I will buy you a virtual beer. Smile

Mike, hopefully you can implement a fix for this, but for right now at least there's a workaround. Thank you to you both for speedy support! Smile
William, thanks for the beer, "virtual yum". Glad it works, I have left mine off also.
Mike I am sure you will find the bug. Personally I do not need the suggestion box to be there for titles.
I think the suggestion box may be causing problems in other parts of the app too, such as when entering annotations. I will definitely need to look into this more.

Mike
I turned it back on and can do Text annotations ok. I tried a few times without problems, then went back to changing a title and it crashed as normal.
Not sure then that there is any other problem anywhere else. Do you use these text boxes anywhere else so I can check for you?
I will test annotations again later in the day when I have more time just to be sure.
Textboxes are used in the following locations:

- The search textboxes at the top of the main library screen. Typing in values should cause the list to be filtered based on name or, if using the custom box, the custom field

- While creating a new folder in the file browser, there is a field to enter a name.

- While creating a library backup, a name must be entered.

- While creating a setlist or collection, a name must be entered for it. Also, if an existing setlist or collection is selected, they can be renamed by typing in the Active Setlist/Collection textbox at the top left

- The convert PDF to image dialog has a few textboxes for entering numeric values

- Options->About->Email zubersoft support provides a dialog where a message can be entered

- If a song is loaded, notes can be entered by tapping on the notes button at the top left. Long pressing and selecting "Edit Notes" can also be done on the library screen.

- If a password protected PDF is loaded, a password must be entered

- The sync screen shows a status log at the bottom that can actually be clicked on (which may trigger suggestions).

If you can check any or all of these, I would be most grateful. My nexus 10 did not crash no matter what I did on the song editor screen, but I've implemented changes to remove the suggestions, so hopefully that is enough.

Thanks,
Mike
Basically there are no problems with any of these. The only one causing crashing is the Song edit Title field.
Interestingly, it is possible to go into one of the textboxes as you describe below, type some text and then return to the Song edit Title and it will work ok (sometimes) without crashing. I have done this a few times with different textboxes but not sure if all cause this. Sometimes it does not work but if you go to another textbox then back to title, it will be ok and not crash.
In order to do these tests then, I had to swipe MS off the task manager then tap on it again to open it again, then test it would crash ok first, then test the next textbox. I also revisited the title crash from time to time to make sure it was still crashing (!)
I could do more thorough testing with a few more scenarios, it could become complicated. Let me know.

I will comment on each below.

(10-17-2013, 12:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: - The search textboxes at the top of the main library screen. Typing in values should cause the list to be filtered based on name or, if using the custom box, the custom field
I went into Filter and played around with all the textboxes there, no crashes. Is this where you meant?

(10-17-2013, 12:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: - While creating a new folder in the file browser, there is a field to enter a name.
I went to song edit and tapped the folder icon, then, from (the OS) options, was able to enter a folder name and create one ok into my SC card. Is this where you mean?

(10-17-2013, 12:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: - While creating a library backup, a name must be entered.
No problems here.

(10-17-2013, 12:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: - While creating a setlist or collection, a name must be entered for it. Also, if an existing setlist or collection is selected, they can be renamed by typing in the Active Setlist/Collection textbox at the top left
no problems naming or renaming a setlist nor collection.

(10-17-2013, 12:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: - The convert PDF to image dialog has a few textboxes for entering numeric values
Where is this again?

(10-17-2013, 12:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: - Options->About->Email zubersoft support provides a dialog where a message can be entered
I sent you a message, no crashing typing text.

(10-17-2013, 12:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: - If a song is loaded, notes can be entered by tapping on the notes button at the top left. Long pressing and selecting "Edit Notes" can also be done on the library screen.
I was able to add text to the Notes window on a few songs.

(10-17-2013, 12:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: - If a password protected PDF is loaded, a password must be entered
I have not tested this. Let me know if you want me to do this, I will have to create one.

(10-17-2013, 12:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: - The sync screen shows a status log at the bottom that can actually be clicked on (which may trigger suggestions).
Yes found this, no crash. Suggestions box came up.
Thanks for doing all of those tests - I really appreciate it. I wouldn't worry about the convert PDF dialog. You've tested everything important across the app, so I think as long as I disable suggestions for the title, things should work okay.

Mike
Once you do this I think I might run everything again to make sure. I a a bit mystified about how it can work ok by having been in another textbox. Maybe some buffer clears, or perhaps it is a bug in the OS. I wonder if there are any reports from other developers about anything similar.
Hey Mike. Thanks for the response on Google Play. I updated my review to 5 stars because, quite frankly, given the amount of support you really give out for this app (I had no idea!), you deserve it. I've no doubt this issue will be resolved soon. Smile