• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatically assign categories from folders on import
Hi,

I started to use MobileSheets today and I really like it. Smile

My PDF files are in subfolders which represent a category. For example, we have some songs for Christmas, then there are the normal songs for the whole year which are in another folder, and then there are also other folders for specific performances.

So, basically, I have multiple folders with different songs.

I've imported the PDF files using the batch import.

Is there any way to automatically assign a category or group to each imported song? For example, songs in the "Christmas" folder should automatically be assigned to the "Christmas" category.
Assuming you don't have "many" folders, I would
1) wipe the existing files from the tablet/device (Songs page, long press a song until check mark shows,  tap empty square at bottom right to select all song and "Delete Song" at top)
2) Perform a batch import for an individual folder.
When the import dialog is displayed, Specify the name of the folder/category in the Collections field; this will be applied to all the songs in this import operation.
3) repeat 2) for the other folders

There is a way to automatically fill in several fields e.g. collection, artist, albums, genre etc during the import process but I haven't used it. Hopefully someone else will explain how it is done. As I understand it, you have to set your folders up in tree of the fields that you want filled; if you don't already have them organised this way then the simple method above is probably less effort than reorganising the folder structure (especially as you are hopefully only going to import them once).

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
If you go to Import->Batch Import, you will see a checkbox to "Populate metadata from directories". You then need to edit the format string to indicate what field should be updated with each folder depth. If you structure your files like

Base Folder
    Christmas
        Performance1
        Performance2

you could enter a format string such as: %GENRE% / %COLLECTION%

or you could do %COLLECTION% %SOURCE%

it just depends on which fields you want to have populated. Let me know if you need additional information about this.

Mike
Thanks for the hint with the placeholder variables. That sounds like a good solution for my problem.

I guess that should work the next time I have to import files into MobileSheets. I don't want to remove and re-import the already imported ones as I already added some annotations to them and don't want to lose them. Big Grin