• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filters- "not" a collection/genre - negative filters
In selecting filters on the library display, would it be possible (or how difficult) to be able to do a "negative selection" on collections or genre's.

For example, to negative-select a Christmas music collection or genre. Or a collection of parts for a particular band, when you're not rehearsing/performing with that band.

Closely related, would be the ability to do multiple selections ... for example:
a) NOT Christmas and NOT that particular band
or
b) filter to display both "Dixieland" and "Jazz", or "rock" and "pop"
For simplicity's sake, perhaps you restrict this to only filters of "like kind" -- that is, you can only combine collection filters with other collection filters (not collection filter with genre filter), and only combine a positive filter with nother positive (not positive with negative).

Thanks for considering ... I realize the wish list is extensive. Maybe you could offer some of these features requested as a paid upgrade, to better provide for the resources to develop them??
Hello,

I have already implemented a few enhancements to the version 5 filtering, including the ability to select "include" vs "exclude" for collections. This allows you to choose whether to show all songs shown in the selected collection(s), or show all songs not in those collection(s). As indicated by the pluralization in the last sentence, you can also now select multiple targets for certain things, such as collections and fields to search in (using the search text box).

In order to do the complex filtering you are suggesting, I would need something more advanced (and implicitly harder to use) than what I'm currently planning. You would really need a specialized "advanced query" dialog that would allow you to set up chains of logic, such as, "[Genre] is not [Christmas] AND [Artist] is not [some band]". It would probably need to support just typing it in, for the sake of speed, as well as building the query using popup lists (to pick from existing values in the library). You could then build queries and save them for future use. A quick dropdown could allow common queries to be triggered quickly.

I will have to think on this some more, but I think anything beyond the filter features I currently have implemented will have to come in a later update.

Thanks,
Mike
(12-05-2013, 10:29 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I have already implemented a few enhancements to the version 5 filtering, including the ability to select "include" vs "exclude" for collections. This allows you to choose whether to show all songs shown in the selected collection(s), or show all songs not in those collection(s). As indicated by the pluralization in the last sentence, you can also now select multiple targets for certain things, such as collections and fields to search in (using the search text box).

Mike, what you've described here will certainly allow me to do what I was hoping. Thanks for the work on v.5 and the thorough reply. For my own stuff, the more advanced filtering isn't something I'd see taking advantage of often, tho of course there's others who may feel differently.

thanks again
Chris