• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which gen iPad Pro?
I want to move from android to iOS, and get a 12.9" iPad pro that will be used pretty much only for Mobile Sheets.  I'm thinking an older used on should be fine.  Any advice on this?  Is there any reason not to get a gen-1 or gen-2?  It looks like iOS 16 is compatible all the way back to gen-1.
The 1st and 2nd gen iPad Pros should work just fine with MobileSheets. The 2nd through 6th gen models have a 120 hz screen, so writing with the stylus will be a little smoother. About the only advantage specific to the 6th gen is that the stylus supports hovering, so you can enter the annotation editor without even having to put the stylus against the screen. You can read about the different models to see what matters to you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad_Pro

Obviously the newer models are a little faster, but it may not matter if you only plan to use MobileSheets.

Mike
I’m using MobileSheets on a 12.9” first gen iPad Pro, and I love it.  

I love the large screen, and the performance of MobileSheets is fine.  I’ll even say performance is great.

I’ve had this iPad for years, but I’m realizing that it will soon be on shaky ground because Apple is saying that iOS 16 will be the last version for the first gen iPad Pro.

Once iOS 17 is released, I imagine my iPad will be fine for a year or so, maybe even longer, but eventually software developers will stop supporting iOS 16, and some apps won’t update anymore, and some apps won’t install from the App Store.

Even if Mike commits to supporting MobileSheets on iOS 16 for a long time, some of the other software titles that you use might cease iOS 16 support.

So the first gen iPad Pro is a risk.  I’m going to keep using mine though until I can just no longer use the software titles that I like.
Thanks for the advice.  I bought a gen-3 off eBay today.  I like the smaller bezel, prefer usb-c to lightning connector, and expect it will be supported longer by apple.  It wasn’t much pricier that gen1.