• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IPad OS - Import Using iTunes?
Hello,

Just bought IPadOS MobileSheets, and trying to get started.  I'm using an IPad Pro 10.5 with iOS 16.5.

I have a few hundred PDF scores of songs, and have been using UnrealBook previously.  In that app, I used to import new PDF scores from my Windows 10 PC using iTunes.

I tried the same process on MobileSheets, and although iTunes showed the hundreds of files had been copied into the MobileSheets file sharing app via iTunes, I could not see anything from within the MobileSheets app itself.

So I copied all the files up to a Google Drive, then imported into MobileSheets, and can now see the scores (pdf files).

When I now look at the file sharing app under iTunes, iTunes is displaying everything as a folder rather than a pdf file.  And if I try to add a file using iTunes, again I don't see the new files at all.

Is there any way to import the files using iTunes?  If so, what would the steps be?

Regards
MobileSheets definitely will not automatically import files that are copied into the MobileSheets folder (which is what iTunes is going to do). That's just not how the app is designed - you have to explicitly import a file into the library using one of the import options (or open the file using the Files app and MobileSheets should import the file automatically and prompt you to select the import settings). There are reasons for this - the design is carried over from the other operating systems where users can manage their own files and folders, and it's not always desirable to have MobileSheets just automatically import any file it finds. 

If you want to copy files from iTunes into the MobileSheets folder, that's perfectly fine, but then you need to tap Import->Local File in MobileSheets, go to the MobileSheets folder and select each file you want to import into the library. In general, I think importing or batch importing off the cloud is probably a better choice though, as it will ultimately be easier/faster. If you are on Windows, you can use the companion app to add files over WiFi, which is another potential solution. The companion app is going to support more platforms later this year once I have time to work transferring it to a new cross-platform framework.

Mike
(07-05-2023, 10:02 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: MobileSheets definitely will not automatically import files that are copied into the MobileSheets folder (which is what iTunes is going to do). That's just not how the app is designed - you have to explicitly import a file into the library using one of the import options (or open the file using the Files app and MobileSheets should import the file automatically and prompt you to select the import settings). There are reasons for this - the design is carried over from the other operating systems where users can manage their own files and folders, and it's not always desirable to have MobileSheets just automatically import any file it finds. 

If you want to copy files from iTunes into the MobileSheets folder, that's perfectly fine, but then you need to tap Import->Local File in MobileSheets, go to the MobileSheets folder and select each file you want to import into the library. In general, I think importing or batch importing off the cloud is probably a better choice though, as it will ultimately be easier/faster. If you are on Windows, you can use the companion app to add files over WiFi, which is another potential solution. The companion app is going to support more platforms later this year once I have time to work transferring it to a new cross-platform framework.

Mike

Thanks for this - great info.

I've read it a few times, and while I don't know the intricacies of iPad, iTunes, or MobileSheets, I think I understand what you are saying.

I did try to use Companion, but it couldn't find the iPad.  My Windows 11 PC has Wi-Fi, but not BlueTooth.  The iPad was connected by cable to the PC, but still couldn't find it.  I might give it another try to see what the issue was.  In the meantime, I think I'll continue uploading to Google Drive and importing from there - although a lot more steps involved, that seemed to work OK.
Can you ftp a file from the windows system to the ipad?  (just trying to check if other communications work)

Did you try a manual connect via wifi?
On android, when you "Connect to Companion", the tablet displays the IP address of the tablet (something like 192.168.1.15)
In the companion, select "Connection| Manual wifi connection" and enter the IP number.

If that doesn't work, you may have something in the router that is blocking the access e.g. denying access to one of the ports.

I don't have an ipad; my experience is based on android

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6