• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running under Wine on Linux
MobileSheets Companion would be perfect for me. Except that I am a 100% Linux user with no access to a Windows or Mac machine. I just now tried to run it under Wine on my fedora Linux, but I get nothing. No errors or anything. The process "Mobilecompanion" appears for about 15 seconds in the process list, then disappears.

IF anyone has been able to get it running under Wine and might be able to provide some guidance, configuration knowledge, ideas, tips.... I'd be grateful.
I unfortunately don't experience with Wine so I can't provide any helpful information concerning that (hopefully other users will chime in). I can say that my plan right now is to switch the companion app to a different cross-platform framework that will allow me to release a native Linux version. I'm still working through other feature requests and such right now, but I should be able to work on this a little later this year.

Mike
(07-07-2023, 06:45 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I unfortunately don't experience with Wine so I can't provide any helpful information concerning that (hopefully other users will chime in). I can say that my plan right now is to switch the companion app to a different cross-platform framework that will allow me to release a native Linux version. I'm still working through other feature requests and such right now, but I should be able to work on this a little later this year.

Mike

Understood; and that'd, of course, would be just the ticket for me. thanks Mike.
I have run the companion using Wine, but that was a couple of years ago.

It was helpful (and so was Mike) when developing a companion-like synch tool.
(Don't bother asking, the tool is not really useful.)
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Not that such a comment is super useful, but I have been using MobileSheets with Wine without issues no later than today, so it is at least very much possible. I would love to see a version native to Linux for the companion!
(11-16-2023, 09:35 AM)Niols Wrote: Not that such a comment is super useful, but I have been using MobileSheets with Wine without issues no later than today, so it is at least very much possible. I would love to see a version native to Linux for the companion!

That's correct, it's not useful... Big Grin

But it would be very usefull if you could describe how you got it to work in wine.

Thanks a lot.
Wenn das Gewölbe widerschallt, fühlt man erst recht des Basses Grundgewalt.

When the vault echoes to the song, one first perceives the bass is deep and strong.
(11-22-2023, 08:14 PM)TGBasses Wrote:
(11-16-2023, 09:35 AM)Niols Wrote: Not that such a comment is super useful, but I have been using MobileSheets with Wine without issues no later than today, so it is at least very much possible. I would love to see a version native to Linux for the companion!

That's correct, it's not useful... Big Grin

But it would be very usefull if you could describe how you got it to work in wine.

Sadly, I don't have much to report: I downloaded the installer from https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/M...panion.exe, then, with an empty `.wine` directory, I ran `wine MobileSheetsProCompanion.exe`, let it install and clicked “launch” and it was fine. I did it when I wrote my previous message, a I tried again yesterday.

And now if I run
Code:
$ wine '~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Zubersoft/MobileSheetsCompanion/MobileSheetsCompanion.exe'
it just works.

We can try and compare environments if that helps. I'm running a NixOS machine with pretty recent nixpkgs-unstable. Wine is 9.0. The companion breaks whenever I update my NixOS machine because the Wine DLLs move -- I'll look into packaging it properly one day -- but this shouldn't be a problem for a more traditional distribution. But trashing my `.wine` and following the process again seems to be fine for now.
(07-07-2023, 06:45 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: ...I can say that my plan right now is to switch the companion app to a different cross-platform framework that will allow me to release a native Linux version....

Mike

Hi Mike,
I was wondering how this is coming along.

I appreciate you have many tasks for the truly great MSpro app... But W10 will soon drop out of security maintenance at which point many of us who can't upgrade perfectly good PCs to W11 might go to Linux. The Companion is the only app, in my music tool chain, that isn't native Linux. But, I can try wine, of course.
I haven't made much progress on it yet I'm afraid. The major changes I had to make with Windows (switching to Skia) consumed most of my time over the last 4-6 weeks, on top of the other work with the updates. Having said that, it's still high on my priority list for my tasks this year. My goal was to finish 3.9.0 and then see if I can focus on the companion app and get the work done as quickly as possible.

Mike